Replica of Tutankhamun's tomb.

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Replica of Tutankhamun's tomb.

Post by Who2 »

Replica of Tutankhamun's tomb aims to divert tourists from threatened site.
Today's Guardian.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/o ... b-tourists
They started this project before the revolution at least it seems to be in the same place so might well bring visitors to Carter House Museum and might well give a chance to an entrepreneur to reopen the restaurant as long as the antiquities authority don't try to charge a stupid rent like last time....:cool:
Ps: I used to like going there but, 30le for Stella was exorbitant.
Pss: Nice to know I read today's Guardian before Stan....

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Replica of Tutankhamun's tomb.

Post by LivinginLuxor »

No - I read the article, copied the URL about 8.30, but don't come here until I've finished with the Guardian! However, I do think it's a great idea, especially if the full plan to build replicas of Seti I and Nefartari's tombs continues. The pre-revolution plan also has a Museum of the West Bank, close to the replicas and the Carter House, which also be a good thing for the area.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Replica of Tutankhamun's tomb.

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The scanning of the real tomb was done back in 2009 or 2010. The replica had been built by early 2011 and was scheduled to be delivered then. There was an attempt by Suzanne Mubarak with the assistance of Zahi Hawass to divert it for display in her children's museum (in fact it was even depicted in the museum's press kit at one point) but that didn't happen fortunately.

The replica was delivered to Egypt earlier this year during a ceremony headed up by Catherine Ashton but that was only for show and publicity as the EU actually had zero role in the entire project. It was set up briefly during the ceremony, which I attended, at the Conrad Hotel in Cairo and I have to say it is as good as Adam Lowe says it is. It looks exactly like the real thing. They also did a replica of the sarcophagus that will be on display too.