The Great Pyramid Robbery

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

The Great Pyramid Robbery

Post by newcastle »

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/eg ... ps-pyramid

Without in any way condoning the activities of the Germans, isn't this this report a tad 'over the top' ? I thought they scraped off a bit of paint for analysis and put forward an opinion, contrary to mainstream egyptological thought, regarding the dating of the pyramid. Now their opinion is regarded as 'harming national interest'. Their activities are described in a way that equates with the looting of the Mallawi Museum!. As for the poor Egyptians caught up in the furore - criminal associates...or careless bystanders? You can see 'illegal' photos on the web taken by tourists every day with the aid of a bit of baksheesh. Heaven help them in the current atmosphere. That Chinese kid who scribbled on the walls of Karnak better watch out.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: The Great Pyramid Robbery

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Well, the Germans were arrested too, although what this article doesn't make clear is the fact that they were arrested in Germany: http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/g ... ps-pyramid
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: The Great Pyramid Robbery

Post by newcastle »

I haven't seen anywhere that the Germans - who scarpered quickly - have been arrested in Germany. I gather they're "under investigation for alleged theft" and being "under investigation" in Germany is probably not as frightening as being so in Egypt :D Hardly an extraditable offence either....or one hopes so for their sake.