10 artefacts stolen from the Egyptian Museum recovered

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

10 artefacts stolen from the Egyptian Museum recovered

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt's Tourism and Antiquities Police (TAP) on Tuesday reclaimed 10 artefacts stolen during the January 2011 uprising, according to Antiquities Minister Mohamed Ibrahim.

A police agent posing as an antiquities trader met the alleged thieves and offered to buy the stolen artefacts, said Ibrahim.

The head of the smuggling gang agreed to meet the agent in the Al-Nozha area of the east Cairo district of Heliopolis. When the transaction was completed and the agent had secured the artefacts, a TAP team broke in and made the arrests.

Ahmed Sharaf, head of the ministry's museum department, told Ahram Online that the objects are all in poor condition and will be restored.

The 10 artefacts, stolen from the Egyptian Museum on 28 January along with 44 other pieces, include of a wooden statue of King Tutankhamun covered with gold sheets and a collection of bronze, wooden and gilded ushabti figurines of his great-grandparents Youya and Thuya.

A bronze statuette of an Apis bull is also among the recovered objects.

Ibrahim told Ahram Online that most of the objects stolen from the Egyptian Museum during the 2011 revolution have been recovered, with 44 out of 54 stolen artefacts returned.

The objects will be restored and then placed in a special exhibition in the museum for a temporary period until they are returned to their original locations, said Ibrahim.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/100154.aspx

Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Re: 10 artefacts stolen from the Egyptian Museum recovered

Post by Frater0082 »

DJKeefy wrote:Egypt's Tourism and Antiquities Police (TAP) on Tuesday reclaimed 10 artefacts stolen during the January 2011 uprising, according to Antiquities Minister Mohamed Ibrahim.

A police agent posing as an antiquities trader met the alleged thieves and offered to buy the stolen artefacts, said Ibrahim.

The head of the smuggling gang agreed to meet the agent in the Al-Nozha area of the east Cairo district of Heliopolis. When the transaction was completed and the agent had secured the artefacts, a TAP team broke in and made the arrests.

Ahmed Sharaf, head of the ministry's museum department, told Ahram Online that the objects are all in poor condition and will be restored.

The 10 artefacts, stolen from the Egyptian Museum on 28 January along with 44 other pieces, include of a wooden statue of King Tutankhamun covered with gold sheets and a collection of bronze, wooden and gilded ushabti figurines of his great-grandparents Youya and Thuya.

A bronze statuette of an Apis bull is also among the recovered objects.

Ibrahim told Ahram Online that most of the objects stolen from the Egyptian Museum during the 2011 revolution have been recovered, with 44 out of 54 stolen artefacts returned.

The objects will be restored and then placed in a special exhibition in the museum for a temporary period until they are returned to their original locations, said Ibrahim.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/100154.aspx
This is the second time that someone has stolen from Tutankhamun and this family they need to investigate who is doing what because this is getting annoying why can't they have some real security to watch over these items. I wish that I could had the power to take all of the items from Tut and the rest of his family and place them in a highly secure place that way no one, Absolutely no one would have authority to even touching them.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Don't know if you know Frater but there has been a revolution in this country, you might be annoyed but I think the majority of people here are more concerned with the 700 Egyptians who yesterday were told they may face the death penalty.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

carrie wrote:Don't know if you know Frater but there has been a revolution in this country, you might be annoyed but I think the majority of people here are more concerned with the 700 Egyptians who yesterday were told they may face the death penalty.
I apologize, I don't listen to the news that often. Can you fill me in what happened?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I suggest you do a little reading Frater, you can always google it. Considering that this is your "home land" I would have thought you would have been showing a little more interest in what is happening here.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

First ask yourself what were the security forces using the Cairo Museum for interrogation purposes during the revolution in the first place and two who had the run of the Cairo Museum at that time. [rocket science it ain't]
The other is if you study the real reports about the 683 indictments you will also learn that there were only ever 50 in custody, so don't believe everything you read in todays mass world media hungry frenzy... :cool:
Ps: Imagine your local thief "So boy's lets break in here tonight" ? With tanks outside some seriously heavy duty tooled-up dudes inside.
A great idea ? I don't think so do you ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

carrie wrote:I suggest you do a little reading Frater, you can always google it. Considering that this is your "home land" I would have thought you would have been showing a little more interest in what is happening here.

I am trust me I be on here everyday and i would read some of the news reporters( well to be honest sometimes i would be waiting for archeological news, but the other stuff caches my eyes too) and i would be sitting home thinking wondering if i had the position and power to change things their what will Egypt be. Its actually weird to think like that but i am very concerned about my fore country and also afraid of war. I don't want that to happen over there or anywhere for that matter, i'm tired of seeing my vets or any vets get emotionally damaged by the outcome of war.
Last edited by Frater0082 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Who2 wrote:First ask yourself what were the security forces using the Cairo Museum for interrogation purposes during the revolution in the first place and two who had the run of the Cairo Museum at that time. [rocket science it ain't]
The other is if you study the real reports about the 683 indictments you will also learn that there were only ever 50 in custody, so don't believe everything you read in todays mass world media hungry frenzy... :cool:
Ps: Imagine your local thief "So boy's lets break in here tonight" ? With tanks outside some seriously heavy duty tooled-up dudes inside.
A great idea ? I don't think so do you ?

Ugh yeah now i get the picture
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

If this country goes to war again it will be with those Ethiopians, them that are pi***ing upstream in denile, and they have a really rubbish army them Haile Selassie dope smokers.... :cool:
Sophocles.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

i'm going to pray that they can come up with some sort of agreement of some sort to end the violence in cairo. No more lives need to be put in harms way.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Frater0082 wrote:i'm going to pray that they can come up with some sort of agreement of some sort to end the violence in cairo. No more lives need to be put in harms way.
To be honest I think that they already have, I think they just might hang everybody... :cool:
TopTip: shave off those beards bruvvers
Sophocles.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Who2 wrote:
Frater0082 wrote:i'm going to pray that they can come up with some sort of agreement of some sort to end the violence in cairo. No more lives need to be put in harms way.
To be honest I think that they already have, I think they just might hang everybody... :cool:
TopTip: shave off those beards bruvvers
:(