Winter solstice 2014

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Winter solstice 2014

Post by Brian Yare »

The 'official' event with 'entertainment' and free entry was held at the Temple of Karnak this morning. There may be some footage on local TV today.

Of course the real winter solstice is not until 23:03 GMT, which will be 01:03 tomorrow morning in Luxor, but nobody appears to care.

I visited the temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahri instead, and enjoyed a peaceful couple of hours. A group of 12 Chinese were there at sunrise, but after that the temple was deserted for an hour before the first big coach arrived. I have placed photo albums on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/13395948@ ... 536259583/ and my blog, but the following is a small taster:

13233 13234

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Winter solstice 2014

Post by A-Four »

Thanks Brian for the wonderful photos, I am sure you perhaps know Hatshepsut's Temple as well as myself, and perhaps even more so in this modern day, but I wonder looking at this vast area, do you really see this as the Mortuary Temple of Hatshpsut, or as something else.

I only ask this because my old mate Stan is no longer around, and oh boy did we love to argue each other's ideas.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I know it fairly well, mainly from Naville's excellent reports, but also from many personal visits.

I wish that I could visit Mentuhotep, next door!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote: I wish that I could visit Mentuhotep, next door!
Brian this is quite easy to do, approach the area via Narkh tomb, up the hill then follow the path towards Hatshepsut's Temple, take a sharp left by the side of the hills to your left, there are no guardians at Mentuhotep.

This is a very interesting area, where you can carefully study this temple, you suddenly become aware what this whole area is about. Look carefully at the area where in the 1900's a large number of Noble warriors were discovered buried within the actual temple itself.

Remember, when walking any where off the beaten track in Egypt, never carry a bag, avoid even carrying a bottle of water if possible, then you will generally find the guardians will leave you alone, and from my understanding you are quite well known on the WB, so they will know that you are not a thief.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Thanks for the tip. My experience is that wherever one goes in Egypt, one is being observed. Even when not carrying a bag I do have a fairly large camera.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote: I do have a fairly large camera.

Well I am not being funny Brian when I say this but, that is perhaps the biggest no no of them all.

It is not that important to have proof of something, as long as you know, guardians will always be more 'helpful' when you don't have proof that you have been in his area, and has not prevented you.

Must admit though most of the old guardians I knew have now retired, and the young ones are less enthusiastic to allow you to 'discover'.