The Giza Pyramids

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

The Giza Pyramids

Post by newcastle » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:52 pm

An accurate description, in my experience, of what visitors face at this world famous site and some ideas of how things might be improved.

"Simply put, visiting the Great Pyramids of Giza in ‪Egypt‬ is often a disappointing experience. Instead of spending millions on tourism campaigns, the government should first ‪‎Save The Pyramids‬ and other historic sites"

http://egyptianstreets.com/2016/01/03/9 ... eat-again/

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: The Giza Pyramids

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:52 pm

The same is true in Luxor, although maybe on a slightly smaller scale. Karnak especially needs more facilities, but it is important that they don't spoil the ancient environment.

Oh, and if there are no museums in the Giza complex, what is that boat doing?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:00 pm

I very much agree with what this chap here has stated, but he is perhaps unaware that even when you are travelling there by taxi from Cairo, at a number of sets of traffic lights towards the Pyramids at Giza, touts hang around holding their hand in the air as you pass. Often the driver will say 'Do you mind if I pick up my cousin'. Of course you yes, to find he is no such person, instead he will engage in conversation with you, and purport to be a guide,........and you know the rest.

When this happens to me, I simply tell the driver,...'no, I don't need a guide', and that also tells him I know the price for the journey, and no, I certainly do not need him for my return to Cairo.

Another rule for such places in Cairo, when you are being seriously hassled, you simply stop walking, look them straight in the eyes (Egyptians hate that from any foreigner), look totally determined, and say very slowly and very clearly, 'I do not need you'. It always work for me in Cairo and Luxor. However in luxor these days most of the touts are very, very stupid.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Brian Yare wrote: Oh, and if there are no museums in the Giza complex, what is that boat doing?
With regards this museum, which more often than not in the past was closed, this is perhaps one of, if not the greatest display of ancient engineering anywhere in the world.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:33 pm

Brian Yare wrote:The same is true in Luxor, although maybe on a slightly smaller scale. Karnak especially needs more facilities, but it is important that they don't spoil the ancient environment.

At the risk of starting a war of terminology with A- Four, can a building housing, basically, one item be called a "museum"?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:14 pm

newcastle wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:The same is true in Luxor, although maybe on a slightly smaller scale. Karnak especially needs more facilities, but it is important that they don't spoil the ancient environment.

At the risk of starting a war of terminology with A- Four, can a building housing, basically, one item be called a "museum"?
You bet it's war Newcastle, and believe me that one man's determination to bring this solar boat back from the grave, and his life time achievement deserves a museum to his own work, even the average pleb can discover the astounding engineering qualities that went into creating a boat that could fly through the night sky, and still being able to keep the deceased pharaoh's body stable, by the shear use of ropes,........total engineering, that is admired the world over today.

I am beginning to think that you, Newcastle, has enrolled into the Fratter University of Open Thought,........now stop it. :wi .

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:54 am

I'd of called it a museum and quite an interesting one too.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:21 am

I might have known I'd be inviting argument when questioning whether a building housing ONE object was really a museum in the generally accepted sense. Dictionary definitions refer to objectS...in the plural.

It was a rather light -hearted point I was making, in response to our chief pedant' s assertion that the article referred to was incorrect in suggesting that the pyramids complex needed a museum - as it had one.

I suspect the author of the article is well aware of the glorified shed housing the exhumed & reconstructed solar boat but meant a building housing a wide range of archaeological exhibits, which your average pleb would expect to find in a place described as a museum.

I hope that clarifies my post for you all.

I've always referred to the building in question as the boat museum just as I (and most people) refer to the burial container of Seti I in the Sir John Soane's Museum as a " sarcophagus" and as many people & books refer to the cult temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el Bahri as a "mortuary temple".

Eh?....A-Four ;)
Can you tell I'm bored this morning?[