Junk Shops...

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Junk Shops...

Post by Who2 »

Now I love junk shops,,,,always have done my mother was a manic collector of antiques.
Trouble is in this Country as soon as they see a 'hawadga, the ruddy price trebles!!!

So, I take a camera photograph the desired object, then send in a pal months later.
This 1900 rotating cast iron fan weighs about 10 kilo's and now works.
He started at 300le but after 6 months I got it for £8quid, a bargain as a similar one in the States is $1300.
My door bell comes from that beautiful old Coptic Hse that got knocked down on the Corniche
WW2 ex British Army and still works a treat... :cool:

Ps: Tonights dinner 'arnab-stew braised over a wood fire, fun fun fun...

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Re: Junk Shops...

Post by BBLUX »

That fan looks very much like the one in the Carter House.....is it still there? ;)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Junk Shops...

Post by A-Four »

BBLUX wrote:That fan looks very much like the one in the Carter House.....is it still there? ;)
Nah, I didn't want to say anything but,......that looks like an old Cinni fan from the 1970's made in India, though a great reproduction on the old stuff.

The only original stuff that was in Carter House, long before most people knew it was thus, when hidden away by trees, was a small stack of books, the top one was by a man called Maspero, - History of Egypt,.............I am informed, it went to a new good home. :wi.

Which reminds me of a certain character who use to appear on this organ. When they were preparing to open up that place, she asked if any one had an idea as to what fashion Carter's bed would have been made up in the 1920's,............(made me laugh for a week)..........for Christ sake the place was used mainly as a shop similar to those in Britain where you take in goods and they give you cash,....open every Friday during season. Very rare did he ever sleep there, "those f****** dogs in Quirna"..............his words not mine. :wi :wi :wi .