Exodus discovered?

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Exodus discovered?

Post by newcastle »

Archaeologists Discover Remains of Egyptian Army From the Biblical Exodus in Red Sea
26 January of 2016 by Shortcut Mag

Egypt’s Antiquities Ministry announced this morning that a team of underwater archaeologists had discovered that remains of a large Egyptian army from the 14th century BC, at the bottom of the Gulf of Suez, 1.5 kilometers offshore from the modern city of Ras Gharib. The team was searching for the remains of ancient ships and artifacts related to Stone Age and Bronze Age trade in the Red Sea area, when they stumbled upon a gigantic mass of human bones darkened by age.

http://shortcutmag.com/archaeologists-d ... n-red-sea/

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Exodus discovered?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

There was a documentary programme on television some time last year, although it may have been a repeat, showing how the parting of the Red Sea could have been a very real possibility - although not quite as depicted in art. I can't remember the name of the series, but it was one of a number of programmes looking at Biblical events and researching or testing out if they could have been possible.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It's a hoax:
http://evangelicalfocus.com/blogs/865/Y ... _its_false

But there is a good book on this topic by Egyptologist Kenneth Kitchen called On the Reliability of the Old Testament. He makes some compelling meteorological/geological arguments, not for the Red Sea actually parting, but for something that would appear that way.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

They love their pain them jews, known quite a few... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I recall seeing a prog postulating the possibility of southerly winds sweeping up the Gulf of Aqaba and exposing, temporarily, a sand bar crossing just south of that port.

Of course that would put the 'event' somewhat distant from the usual places reckoned to be the site of the drowning of pharaoh's army.

As far as I know there's still not one iota of archaeological evidence supporting the biblical account.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

If I recall correctly, Kitchen focused more on the possibility of a sudden flash flood in a low lying desert area due to a rainstorm.

The absence of evidence is not evidence for absence.

When I was at the University of Chicago I took a course in Archaeology of the Bible, but not focused on flashy stuff like the Exodus but rather social organization and architecture etc. as reflected in the Old Testament and like any document, whether you consider it fact or fiction, regardless of your personal beliefs, it reflects the setting in which it first appeared.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Despite having no religious beliefs I'm prepared to accept that many of the stories of the Old Testament may have a basis in some historical event.

Admittedly , some of the 'explanations ' I've seen stretch one's credulity.

For example, linking the biblical plagues to natural Nile events, and consequent natural phenomena, seems reasonably plausible. ...until you get to the ' death of the first born'.

Then again, you have to allow for the mutations in the record which would have occurred with details of 'events' being passed down verbally, over generations.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

I still believe the Biblical timing for the Exodus is during the times of Ramses I and Seti I but I don't think that they were kings yet. My main reasons is due to the EVIDENCE of SETI capturing the Shasu of Yahweh, in which Yahweh being the term for God for the Hebrews. The Pharoahs of Exodus could very well been the entire early 19th dynasty of Egypt.
Aromagician
New Zealand

Post by Aromagician »

Was it Ahmed Osman who wrote of Akhenaton as Moses? Interesting books. But he also thought Tutankhamen was Jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. ROY M GOODMAN