Site entry fees to increase substantially in October

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Site entry fees to increase substantially in October

Post by newcastle »

No great surprise really.

Ticket prices for tourists to be increased at museums, archaeological sites from October: ministry
Antiquities Minister Khaled al-Anany has declared that ticket prices for tourists at museums, archaeological sites and temples will be increased starting October, so that tourist agencies will not be surprised by the increase when conducting contracts for the winter season.
The ministry, according to Anany, has not raised ticket prices since 2010. The average increase will range between 50-60 percent to cope with changes in the US dollar exchange rate. He said it is unreasonable for tourists to continue visiting the pyramids for only US$4, adding it will be increased to US$6, which is acceptable though not equal to the appreciation of the dollar rate
Ticket prices at the pyramids will be raised from LE80 to LE120, the Valley of the Kings in Luxor from LE100 to LE160, the Egyptian museum from LE75 to LE120, Abu Simbel temple from LE100 to LE160, and Kom Ombo temple from LE40 to LE80.
Anany indicated a huge problem in funding employees' salaries, saying that LE81 million is required to pay their wages, while the total income from visits to the archaeological places accounts for only LE2.6 million.
The ministry signed contracts for two projects to clean and secure archaeological sites at LE15 million, he said. The ministry is being attacked all the time, he added, saying that no one knows the troubles they have due to the lack of funding.
However, Anany said he decided to reduce the fees for photography at archaeological sites to help promote tourism. He added that increasing the ticket prices is a must to resume development of several projects, including the pyramids area

http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/t ... r-ministry

EGraf

Re: Site entry fees to increase substantially in October

Post by EGraf »

nothing really surprising, but still, for the sake of precision:
The ministry, according to Anany, has not raised ticket prices since 2010.
that is not correct, the last rise was 1st July 2013 (when for example KV went from 80 to 100 and Karnak from 65 to 80).
He said it is unreasonable for tourists to continue visiting the pyramids for only US$4, adding it will be increased to US$6. Ticket prices at the pyramids will be raised from LE80 to LE120
at the current rate, 80 LE is 5 usd (not 4) and 120 LE is 7,5 usd (not 6).
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I've pictures of the price lists at the West Bank main ticket office from 2006, 2009, 2011 and 2015. Most prices have doubled since 2006, and the rise in 2013 was about 33%.

But at least the Minister has given 6 months notice of the next increase. His colleagues in other departments should do likewise.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

It will go up again between now and then, and again these rises only apply to overseas visitors, locals and paper wavers will still get their concessions, they always do in a dual economy.