Will Egypt sell its artifacts to boost economy?

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Will Egypt sell its artifacts to boost economy?

Post by DJKeefy »

What if Egyptians woke up in the morning to breaking news that Egypt’s national antiquities were being sold at international auctions?

“Would you agree on selling Egyptian artifacts to foreign countries as a means to solve the country's economic crisis?” This question was posted March 23 on the official Facebook page of the TV show "Al-Howar Mostamer," which airs on a station owned by Ahmed Abu Hashima, a businessman affiliated with the ruling regime. The question caused a huge public response.

The Facebook post called on Egyptian social media users to give their opinion on the matter, sparking an extensive attack, especially since this issue is being discussed in tandem with the agreement on maritime border demarcation that transferred the ownership of Tiran and Sanafir islands to Saudi Arabia.

This wasn't all. On March 29, in an article published on the United Arab Emirates' The National news website, US economist Patrick Werr said, “Egypt is overflowing with antiquities. … Why not package up some of these artifacts and organize their sale to foreigners or Egyptians …? The government could add tens of millions of dollars to its coffers each year.”

Werr, who has lived in Egypt for 20 years, continued, “It is almost certain — though difficult to prove — that the bulk of these [recovered] artifacts were taken out of Egypt illegally.”

Of note, Werr started his article by writing, "Here is an idea that will almost certainly not fly politically, but economically [it] makes a lot of sense.”

This is not the first time that the issue of selling or renting out Egyptian antiquities has been raised. A related controversy erupted in 2013 under the rule of the Muslim Brotherhood when the Ministry of Antiquities received a bid by Qatar to "rent" Egypt’s national treasures for a period of three years in return for $200 billion. A similar offer was made by UAE company Proact World to rent three major archaeological sites in Egypt: the citadel of Salah al-Din in Cairo, Qaitbay Castle in Alexandria and Luxor Temple.

The Egyptian government turned down both offers since it categorically refuses to discuss the idea of ​​selling antiquities or renting them internationally, as it believes they are part of the Egyptian identity.

Shaaban Abdel-Gawad, the director general of the Department of Recovered Antiquities within the Ministry of Antiquities, told Al-Monitor that the government believes discussing this idea in the media is an insult to Egypt and to a 7,000-year-old civilization.

He said, “There is no nation in the world that sells its archaeological monuments and history, no matter how crippling the economic crisis it is experiencing. I refuse to compare Egypt with countries that codify the sale of antiquities since they do not have the civilization of Egypt, which is home to about one-third of the world's archaeological monuments.”

Ever since Egypt amended in 2010 Law No. 117 of 1983 on the protection of antiquities, the government has banned the possession, sale, granting and display of antiquities outside the country without the supervision of the relevant archaeological bodies.

For decades, antiquities were commonly traded without being criminalized by law, which led to the smuggling of countless pharaonic pieces out of the country. In addition, former Egyptian kings and presidents have offered numerous artifacts as gifts to foreign missions and governments.

Abdel-Gawad said the Ministry of Antiquities has recovered around 7,500 artifacts from Europe over the last 15 years, while hundreds of pieces are still being exhibited in international museums in countries that do not criminalize trade in antiquities. He noted that the government is unable to recover these antiquities due to lack of proof in its official records.

Pharaonic artifacts are being sold more at international auctions these days. The most recent sale was at an auction at Sotheby's in Hong Kong on April 4, where ancient Egyptian relics were sold for $175,345.

On Dec. 15, 2016, the auction house had organized an auction in the United States of 82 rare antiquities, including an Egyptian basalt torso of a woman dating to the 30th Dynasty (circa 378-343 B.C.) and an Egyptian granite bust of the goddess Sekhmet dating back to the 18th Dynasty (circa 1550-1298 B.C.).

The UNESCO Convention to ban the importation, export, transfer and illicit transfer of cultural property issued in 1970 and ratified by Egypt hinders the Egyptian government’s efforts to recover its artifacts and prevent their sale at international auctions, since the convention grants state parties the right to claim its artifacts stolen before 1970.

According to Riad Abdel Salam, a member of the parliamentary Tourism and Civil Aviation Committee, both the government and the parliament assert that it is impossible for Egypt to sell its own artifacts. Abdel Salam told Al-Monitor that this proposal has been refused, saying that “no member of parliament will dare submit such a proposal to the parliament for discussion.”

He said, “When any piece of antiquity leaves the country to be sold at a global auction this means that it will never be recovered by Egypt. Artifacts should be used to revive our tourism sector.”

While some believe selling national artifacts could end the stifling economic crisis hitting Egypt, others disagree. Abdel-Raheem Rayhan, an archaeological expert and the director general of the Ministry of Antiquities’ Archaeological Research and Studies and Scientific Publishing Department in the Sinai Peninsula, offers another solution.

He told Al-Monitor he believes Egypt's economic problems can be solved by developing a comprehensive methodology to promote all forms of tourism in Egypt, from archaeological tourism to leisure tourism. For this purpose, he called on the government to allocate a huge budget for the development of archaeological sites and the establishment of services and facilities in the surrounding area.

Abdel Salam offered alternative marketing solutions whereby archaeological museums are properly exploited through the establishment of specialized channels in various foreign languages and the issuance of a specialized magazine for Western tourists. He also urged the government to conclude contracts with international companies specialized in this field to promote Egypt’s artifacts in local exhibitions.

The Egyptian government does not seem to be persuaded by the huge economic return it may reap from selling the wealth of the ancestors.

“Even if the expected economic gains were achieved and the sale proved to be beneficial to all Egyptians, national artifacts and treasures will remain priceless,” Abdel-Gawad said, noting that such a step would encourage illegal archaeological excavations and fragment society instead of fixing the economy.

Source: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina ... tment.html

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Will Egypt sell its artifacts to boost economy?

Post by newcastle »

A total non-starter in political/ideological terms.

Despite the fact that the majority of Egyptians have no ethnic connection to the pharaonic civilisation, and are incredibly ignorant, on the whole, about their ancient history, a deep pride is ingrained in their psyche. It's as if, denied independence for centuries by foreign rulers, and latterly by home-grown autocrats, they grasp desperately at the vestiges of past greatness (to which, in reality, they have little claim).

I would also question whether any money raised would be significant in relation to Egypt's economic woes. The market in antiquities is buoyed by the scarcity of (legitimate) artifacts. Flooding the market with all and sundry would see this diminished significantly.

Presumably we are talking about secondary, common-place items (shabtis, scarabs etc) rather than capital items whose presence in Egypt is a major tourism attraction. Again...what, in reality, would be the material benefit of allowing such minor items to be sold?

On the other hand. it would deeply upset Zahi Hawass....and I'm all for that :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I would not argue with any of that Newcastle :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:I would not argue with any of that Newcastle :up
That's a pity. I love a good argument :lol:

Maybe Egypt could sell off some of JL's supposed relics of its ancient advanced civilisation? Market them, along with the cure for HIV, to Americans who are renowned for their gullibility.

After all. they bought London Bridge (thinking, perhaps, it was Tower Bridge? ).

Six million blocks of limestone, mined outside Cairo and shipped across the Atlantic, with instructions on how to reassemble them into a pleasing, square based, polyhedron......now there's an idea :tk
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I am sure there will be many more opportunities :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
I am sure there will be many more opportunities :lol:
I think Theresa May heard you :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I think Theresa May heard you
:lol: I think she did and in true form I have given you something to refute :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

It might be a better idea to sell off all the Army's factories, farms, hotel's etc to private enterprise. Or is that completely out of order ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:It might be a better idea to sell off all the Army's factories, farms, hotel's etc to private enterprise. Or is that completely out of order ;)
And have a thousand generals on the unemployed scrap heap?

I don't think so :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

You two remind me of the TV show, Grump Old Men. So which one is Jack Lemon? :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Better to sell them all off now before the civil war starts and they are all destroyed.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

The antiquities or the generals? Or both? ;)
Carpe diem! :le:
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Don't need to sell them just send king Tut collection on a World Tour again made millions before will do again.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Problems as large as an economic crisis can seldom be solved by a single policy or act.

But the hiring out of artifacts could generate substantial funds.

I think, for example, it could be used to fund further projects by the antiquities department that currently are or would be on hold because of funding.

They say that the basement of the museum in Cairo is the last great area to be explored in Egypt.

I think i read once that the basement was so full of artifacts that it was damaging the foundations.

These artifacts may eventually find a home at the new museum but they are serving no useful purpose in the basement.

They could be sent on tour along with a few select "headline" pieces to very good effect.

Who knows, it may ignite tourism in Egypt or at least improve it a little.

My own mother's passion for Egypt was born out of the rather excellent Egyptian display at a museum here in Leicester.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I hear that their hiking the fees to the archaeological teams just when they were getting over Zahi robbing them blind.
They will probably be concentrating more on South America next year, so I hear.
which is just another 'nail in the sarcophagus.

But can you expect anything else ?.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Whilst the basement of the Cairo Museum does have a huge number of artifacts, I doubt they're in a state, or of a quality, that would lend itself to touring. They have never even been properly catalogued

The usual destinations for tours..USA, Europe etc ...already have impressive collections of Egyptian artifacts in their main museums.

The Tutankhamun exhibits are another matter and have toured successfully in the past to great acclaim. However, the Ministry of Antiquities is unlikely to permit the most famous items out of the country for fear of damage in transit.In the current climate, they'd also present a tempting terrorist target and the cost of guarding them would be enormous.

They will be the jewel in the GEM due to open next year and Egypt hopes people will come to Cairo to see its treasures rather than sending them around the world.

Although I don't see future tours as raising significant sums, there is a place for them as advertisements for Egypt . The sunken city exhibition at the BM last year may have inspired some interest in a lesser-known aspect of Egypt's pharaonic history.

In my opinion, of course.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Whilst the basement of the Cairo Museum does have a huge number of artifacts, I doubt they're in a state, or of a quality, that would lend itself to touring. They have never even been properly catalogued

Im sure, to a degree, you are right, but i am sure, i am right, to a degree that there would be enough there that are in an ok condition.

The usual destinations for tours..USA, Europe etc ...already have impressive collections of Egyptian artifacts in their main museums.

Which is why i added that some, and i stress some, of the tut treasures would need to accompany them on a tour. I dont think ive been to the museum (ever) and im well into double figures now without some of tuts treasures not being present for some reason, they have more than enough to add to a small touring collection.

The Tutankhamun exhibits are another matter and have toured successfully in the past to great acclaim. However, the Ministry of Antiquities is unlikely to permit the most famous items out of the country for fear of damage in transit.In the current climate, they'd also present a tempting terrorist target and the cost of guarding them would be enormous.

Why on earth would the shipping details need to be broadcast? And any madman could attempt to steal/destroy them where they are now in situ as they could anywhere else, and with respect, i wouldnt put Egyptian security in the premier league of efficiency weighed against many other nations.

They will be the jewel in the GEM due to open next year and Egypt hopes people will come to Cairo to see its treasures rather than sending them around the world.

"Due" to open next year - very wise use of that word here! "Egypt hopes" Well thats the point isnt it? Hoping for something, i have found, tends to be rather dissapointing in terms of results. Im sure the museum will be lovely when its open but essentially it will still only house what the current one does. Its likely, in the main, to only attract those that are going to the current one already. You know they say that expecting a different result from the same process is a sign of madness! Again, with respect, Egypt has shown itself to be very resistant to good ideas.

Although I don't see future tours as raising significant sums, there is a place for them as advertisements for Egypt . The sunken city exhibition at the BM last year may have inspired some interest in a lesser-known aspect of Egypt's pharaonic history.

I wouldnt suggest a tour purely for the revenue it would generate for the tour itself, i would agree, in the grand scheme of things that its likely to be negligible. The opportunity to raise interest and awareness is potentially much more valuable.

Really Newcastle, has your prescription of positive pills run out? I could bring a fresh batch with me next month if you like :lol:

In my opinion, of course.
Of course!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Try living here for 10 years Zooropa and you may find the answer to
Really Newcastle, has your prescription of positive pills run out?
:lol:

The Egyptians really do have a unique way of looking at things. Hoping for the improbable is hard-wired into their psyche. Take the "shipping" point you mention. Hawass was all for selling the rights to exclusive coverage of the movement of artifacts to the GEM, the procedure, the "care" etc. He would make great fanfare out of it and thinks film crews would be falling over themselves to be involved! A more tempting target for some islamist terrorist group intent on a high-profile attack on pagan artifacts is hard to imagine.

Hawass may have been able to cajole the MoA into the benefits of touring in the past - not entirely altruistically I should add - but he's yesterday's man. I've not seen any indication of interest in this matter, in the press or on egyptology forums, in recent years.

Maybe when (if?) things ever settle down in Egypt and elsewhere.....but , as for now, I don't think so.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Try living here for 10 years Zooropa and you may find the answer to
Really Newcastle, has your prescription of positive pills run out?
:lol:

The Egyptians really do have a unique way of looking at things. Hoping for the improbable is hard-wired into their psyche. Take the "shipping" point you mention. Hawass was all for selling the rights to exclusive coverage of the movement of artifacts to the GEM, the procedure, the "care" etc. He would make great fanfare out of it and thinks film crews would be falling over themselves to be involved! A more tempting target for some islamist terrorist group intent on a high-profile attack on pagan artifacts is hard to imagine.

Hawass may have been able to cajole the MoA into the benefits of touring in the past - not entirely altruistically I should add - but he's yesterday's man. I've not seen any indication of interest in this matter, in the press or on egyptology forums, in recent years.

Maybe when (if?) things ever settle down in Egypt and elsewhere.....but , as for now, I don't think so.
Life's winners dont wait around for people to get interested.

They create the interest.

When a guy pitched the idea of a phone that you could carry around with you he was laughed out of most companies he pitched it to.

A company called Philips had the opportunity to buy an interest and told him that it was at best, a curiosity for rich business men and estimated a global sales potential of 15-20,000.

They reasoned that the public had never indicated a desire for such a device......
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I don't decry you arguments Zooropa...indeed, there's a lot to be said for touring Egyptian artifacts.

What I'm saying is that the idea is unlikely to gain much traction with the Egyptians. who are not renowned for thinking outside of the box.