Experts meet in Egypt over moving King Tut artifacts

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Experts meet in Egypt over moving King Tut artifacts

Post by DJKeefy »

Archaeologists and conservation experts met in Cairo on Sunday to discuss the safe transportation of King Tutankhamun’s throne, chests and bed from the Egyptian Museum in central Cairo to a new one being built on the other side of the Egyptian capital.

The meeting, organized by the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities, brought together experts from Egypt, France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark and Japan.

Tareq Tawfiq, a senior ministry official in charge of the new museum, told The Associated Press that the meeting’s primary objective was to reach a “global consensus” on how to safely transport and display King Tut’s items in the new museum being built close to the famed Giza Pyramids.

The meeting also discussed methods to display the human remains discovered in King Tut’s tomb, particularly those belonging to his two daughters, both stillborn, according to a document distributed to participants.

“It’s a very big challenge to move a collection, particularly of such importance,” one of the participants, German Egyptologist Gabrielle Pieke, told the AP.

Moving items belonging to King Tut has become a particularly sensitive issue since 2014, when the beard attached to the ancient Egyptian monarch’s golden mask was accidentally knocked off during work on the relic’s lighting. Workers later hastily tried to reattach it with an epoxy compound, causing damage to the priceless artifact and causing an uproar among archaeologists across the world.

A German-Egyptian team worked on the restoration of the mask, which was placed back on a year later.

Pieke urged Egypt not rush the transfer or display of the ancient artifacts related to King Tut.

“It’s a delicate issue... we have to be very careful,” she cautioned.

No date has yet been set for the complete transfer of the priceless items, which would be displayed at two halls in the new facility, formally called the Grand Egyptian Museum. The halls, covering 7,000 square meters, are scheduled to open at the end of 2017.

The tomb of King Tut, who ruled Egypt more than 3,000 years ago, was discovered in 1922 in the southern city of Luxor.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mi ... story.html

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: Experts meet in Egypt over moving King Tut artifacts

Post by John Landon »

Ever since I was 10 years old, after I had a full colour glossy picture of the famous mask, I fell in love with that face, and I can assure you there is not a gay bone in my body..... :cg

Cartman's ( my Profile Picture ) Mother could explain..... 8)
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

John Landon wrote:Ever since I was 10 years old, after I had a full colour glossy picture of the famous mask, I fell in love with that face, and I can assure you there is not a gay bone in my body.....
I won't go as far as to say that you are perfectly normal :a39:, John Landon, but don't worry! Around that time, when I found a full page glossy photo in my parent's book, I fell in love with what I thought was a woman's mask! I tried with all kinds of pens, pencils and pigments to draw an eyeliner like that around my own eyes. Later, when I was old enough to buy Indian kohl and kajal, I still tried. It took me years to realise that Scandinavian and Pharaonic eyes do not have the same shape, but that has not stopped me from trying.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

There are many clues as to who that really is ;-)
Problem is, every schoolkid has it instilled into them that what they are seeing is TutAnkhAmun / TutAnkhAten a boy king !
Like many things in life, not all is as we are told it is. The burial location isnt even the first tomb she has occupied.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:There are many clues as to who that really is ;-)
Problem is, every schoolkid has it instilled into them that what they are seeing is TutAnkhAmun / TutAnkhAten a boy king !
Like many things in life, not all is as we are told it is. The burial location isnt even the first tomb she has occupied.
You're confusing two issues.

The facial plate on the golden mask is almost certainly Tutankhamun and closely matches statues etc. (not that this is necessarily how he looked in life....but it's the standard representation which would have been familiar to people of the time).

The rest of the mask (which is a separate construction) shows evidence that it was made for someone else...possibly Neferneferuaten.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I will bet my house and my first born that neither the mask or the Mummy is that of king Tut..... :ct
there is infact a massive problem with the name TutAnkhAmun and TutAnkhAten, as they do not represent the name of a particular person.
You will need to think of that gold throne and the location of the inscriptions of those 2 names to answer that.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:I will bet my house and my first born that neither the mask or the Mummy is that of king Tut..... :ct
In the absence of a time machine your bet is safe.....as being (like the existence of God) ultimately unprovable. The evidence (as regards the mummy) is compelling to all but rabid conspiracy theorists

there is infact a massive problem with the name TutAnkhAmun and TutAnkhAten, as they do not represent the name of a particular person.

Ermmmm...what problem would that be? In what way aren't they a name?

You will need to think of that gold throne and the location of the inscriptions of those 2 names to answer that.Humour me....with a less cryptic remark. You're beginning to sound like A-Four ....and you really don't want that :lol:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

OK, here goes. althoiugh you woudl probably prefer to see this in the "Myth and Magic" forum...

To us people who do not see this world as being the beginning and the ending of our life, then the 2 names make perfect sense.
TutAnkHAten meaning "Living image of the light" and TutAnkhAmun, meaning "Living image of the Body" is what the religious lot mean by saying that God made us in "his" own image.

So the 'Aten is inscribed on the right of the gold throne and the 'Amun is inscribed on the left, right being associated with the light ( Aten) and "god",
the left being concerned with the "physical" or indeed ourselves and this reality while we occupy our mortal coil.

So TutAnkh**** is infact a concept whether or not you believe in that concept, but that is what it is.

The Monotheistic religion of the Armana period is one I identify with, although many can indeed argue that this is where much of the Old testament religion comes from in a corrupted from. ( plus a few stories from Mesopotamia thrown in for good measure )

As for who the mummy really is, that will have to wait, but rest assured, you all know her, but not found her......... Yet.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

OK, here goes. althoiugh you woudl probably prefer to see this in the "Myth and Magic" forum.
Without any evidential basis, it would probably be better there :lol:
As for who the mummy really is, that will have to wait, but rest assured, you all know her, but not found her......... Yet.
Now I'm really confused. Even if you don't accept the mummy is Tutankhamun, surely you accept it's male !?!
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

No, I do not accept that it is a male. Whoever took the penis and breast plate between the time Carter placed the Mummy back in to coffin and and 1968, did us a favour.
I would say that in certain circles, the identity of TUT has always been known to them, and they have had a good giggle about it, thinking that we would not guess who she really was or where she was.
but slowly and surely the moving sands of the Sahara will indeed reveal the secrets it covers. There is more to come very soon...
As I said, my avatars mother would know what I am talking about...
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

We appear to have entered the Twilight Zone........

phpBB [video]
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I am now seriously wondering if Tut even existed. I think he may be a fabrication to hide the true identity of the Mask and the Mummy.
I also think the Amana period is much, much older than we have been led to believe, and that Hepshetsuts "temple" has very little to do with the others, given the location and design.
Possibly from the Amarna period also. :tk

The reason why, is that I have been studying some Sumerian artefacts and art, and found some uncanny resemblances to Amarna art.

I think Nefertiti holds a couple of keys that may unlock this mystery.

Shame the bl00dy US of A keeps invading countries that have hosted ancient civilisations, just when things get interesting... Babylon especially.
All empires seem to have a vested interest in hiding something major from our past, I wonder what that could possibly be ?......

More mad ramblings to follow... :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Tut definitely existed.

Ask Frater :snig:
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

So they are moving. But what are they moving? For 20 years they have promised a full inventory of the collection. It still isn't finished - I suspect it was never started. They don't know what they have, they have no computer record of even what is on display and they now propose to move it. Its like a shop storeroom with no record of what is in it and no record of what is going in or going out.

Therefore the move will be a great opportunity for pilfering - and nobody will ever know.

Meanwhile the restoration/conservation labs they established and opened at the new museum have already broken down.

The management of the museum says they are going to restore 100,000 objects in 14 labs with 80 entirely local experts. http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2016/07/2 ... ews-egypt/. I don't believe it because there have been multiple reports over years of a drought of local Egyptian restoration/conservation skills and consistent criticism that the local universities ignore this profession at the expense of its more theatrical cousins.

Problem is other and independent reports, quoting Egyptian experts and insiders, say that their restoration labs are a shambles and not capable of doing much good. http://www.africa.com/egypts-young-pres ... old-guard/. As if there wasn’t enough to repair, insiders say the move has been badly handled with lots of extra breakages in transit, so GEM’s efforts are actually making things worse.

All of this to fill a museum 7 times larger than the British Museum and 3 times larger than the Met. Is nothing too large for an Egyptian?

Has it occurred to no-one that a massive museum devoted to just one genre is overkill. Whilst the BM and Met show 10-20 genres, the GEM will be 20,000 stylistic variations on a single genre. Won't that be a bit boring even if you have the 100 hours to view a 1/4 of it. Was understatement, variety or the generation of curiosity ever the object or was it always domination, awe and 2 thousand years of variation on a single theme?
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

newcastle wrote:Tut definitely existed.

Ask Frater :snig:

well hello to you too i guess :urm: :urm: