Early history of Islam.

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Stevepj

Early history of Islam.

Post by Stevepj »

I don't know whether this has been posted before as it was originally shown on Channel 4 back in 2012 but I found it very interesting.

phpBB [video]

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Early history of Islam.

Post by newcastle »

Fascinating!

Thank you for posting stevepj.

My recollection is that this programme caused a lot of fuss at the time...rather like Salman Rushdie's book 'The Satanic Verses'...and was banned in various countries. I'm not aware (i.e. don't know) that Egypt was one of them.

You can imagine that the idea that Mohamed, the Qur'an and even Islam was a convenient construct of marauding bedouins is anathema to muslims whose "belief" in the tradition is unshakeable.

As the muslim historian in the programme asserts :

"No proof of something is not proof of its non-existence"
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

That will please John Landon :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

John Landon will be pleased to read that :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:"No proof of something is not proof of its non-existence"
John Landon will be pleased to read that :lol:
Shhhhh...... :D

I'm a mathematician. I believe in, and take account of, probabilities. ;)
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

newcastle wrote:Fascinating!

Thank you for posting stevepj.

My recollection is that this programme caused a lot of fuss at the time...rather like Salman Rushdie's book 'The Satanic Verses'...and was banned in various countries. I'm not aware (i.e. don't know) that Egypt was one of them.

You can imagine that the idea that Mohamed, the Qur'an and even Islam was a convenient construct of marauding bedouins is anathema to muslims whose "belief" in the tradition is unshakeable.

As the muslim historian in the programme asserts :

Just the usual reaction Newcastle, death threats against Holland and the cancelation of a public showing of the documentary because the police couldn't guarantee the safety of the audience.
I'd expect to such a quote from a man who believes in little green creatures building pyramids but not from a university academic :a17:
I came a cross this video a couple of weeks ago. Holland goes over some of the same subject matter but also introduced new material. I can recommend "In the Shadow of the Sword" which the author plugs in the video

phpBB [video]
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'd expect to such a quote from a man who believes in little green creatures building pyramids but not from a university academic :a17:
Quite!

Shows what we're up against when "faith" is part of the equation.

One of my maths professors at university was The Revd Canon John Polkinghorne, an eminent quantum physicist and fellow of the Royal Society. You'd think someone in that field would have no truck with religion.

Far from it...as his title indicates.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

So many politicians have faith in themselves or their party to the detriment of us all, unfortunately. :urm:
Smile! It confuses people
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Mad Dilys wrote:So many politicians have faith in themselves or their party to the detriment of us all, unfortunately. :urm:
At each sitting of the House of Commons, a prayer is read, usually by the speaker's chaplain :

"Lord, the God of righteousness and truth, grant to our Queen and her government, to Members of Parliament and all in positions of responsibility, the guidance of your Spirit. May they never lead the nation wrongly through love of power, desire to please, or unworthy ideals but laying aside all private interests and prejudices keep in mind their responsibility to seek to improve the condition of all mankind; so may your kingdom come and your name be hallowed.

Amen."

No comment :urm:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

;) :up :st
Smile! It confuses people
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@ stevenpj
I can recommend "In the Shadow of the Sword" which the author plugs in the video
I have it on kindle. Haven't got round to reading it yet.

Too busy binge watching the first 4 series of House of Cards in readiness for watching the fifth!
josephineestrela
United States of America

Post by josephineestrela »

I generally despise people who think that such content should be banned in countries.
josephineestrela
United States of America

Post by josephineestrela »

I personally live in a country where Islam rules, but I fully understand, firstly, other religions, and secondly, the position of atheism. Each of these positions has its own meaning, and as the university magazine says, religion unites, but so does atheism. This means that every person has the right to find for himself the rules that he wants to follow, and this person can find for himself people who support his positions, which is very cool. It means freedom. For example, among the people I communicate with, religion helps many people, but it misleads many people too. And I think that this is absolutely normal, since all people are different and can't have one type of thinking. For this, both faith and atheism exist to this day.
JunClip

Post by JunClip »

My friend's parents are in a situation where his father believes in God, but his mother does not. And I could say that it isn’t the biggest problem when they have a strong feeling of respect. This situation didn’t affect them.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

JunClip wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:16 pm My friend's parents are in a situation where his father believes in God, but his mother does not. And I could say that it isn’t the biggest problem when they have a strong feeling of respect. This situation didn’t affect them.
Quite!

As an atheist living in a Muslim family, discussing religion is pointless. I can’t comprehend their belief in a deity any more than they can comprehend my disbelief.

It doesn’t affect our relationship one iota…..although I tend to stay away during Ramadan. The dietary restrictions are just too tedious to suffer :lol:
JunClip

Post by JunClip »

My friend's parents are in a situation where his father believes in God, but his mother does not. And I could say that it isn’t the biggest problem when they have a strong feeling of respect. This situation didn’t affect them. They have their own opinion. I’ve spoken with them, and they told me about his group of kind people https://firstchurchlove.com/ who are always prepared to accept all people and respect them. I really like the mentality of my friends and their soul because they are so kind and always with smiling faces.