Two New Tombs; Newly Discovered Mummy Mask

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Two New Tombs; Newly Discovered Mummy Mask

Post by Winged Isis »

Egyptian antiquities minister to announce newly discovered mummy mask Saturday
Ahram Online , Thursday 7 Dec 2017

Antiquities Minister Khaled El-Enany is set to formally announce the discovery of two tombs at Draa Abul Naga in Luxor on Saturday, one bearing a painted wall.
According to a source who requested anonymity, the tombs belong to two top officials from the New Kingdom (16th to 11th centuries BC); the mummy mask of one of the deceased was also discovered.

In September the minister as announced the discovery of the tomb of god Amun-Re’s goldsmith in Draa Abul Naga.

The tomb had a rich funerary collection and a large number of ushabti funerary figurines, gilded coffins, mummies wrapped in linen and funerary mask and cones were unearthed.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/282907.aspx

Carpe diem! :le:
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Two New Tombs; Newly Discovered Mummy Mask

Post by Winged Isis »

It's finally been done. This is from a Facebook page; sorry I don't have time to realign the type.

Petrie Museum Unofficial Page
6 hrs ·

NEW TOMB announcement promised recently is here!

An unusually detailed and useful press release from the Ministry - wish they were all like this. No photos yet other than those we posted earlier in the week.

MoA Press release 9-12-2017:

As the Ministry of Antiquities declares that year 2017 is the year of discoveries in Egypt, Minster of Antiquities Dr. Khalid El-Enany announces today Saturday 9/12/2017, the discovery of a new tomb and the re-discovery of an older one at Draa Abul Naga necropolis on Luxor’s west bank.

Dr. Mostafa Waziri, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities and Head of Egyptian excavation mission explains that both tombs were given special numbers by German archaeologist “Frederica Kampp” during the 1990s.
The first tomb has the number of “Kampp 161” and has never been excavated before while the second one has the number of “Kampp 150” and archaeologist Kampp started its excavation until reaching its entrance gate but never entered it.
Since then both tombs were left untouched until the Egyptian
archaeological mission started its excavations during the recent
archaeological season.
# Tomb Kampp 161
It is located to the north of tomb No. TT225, and the tomb of
city’s councilor Userhat (Kampp 157) uncovered in April.
History:
Although the name of the tomb’s owner is yet unidentified, the
wall paintings, engravings and inscriptions found in the tomb
suggest that it could be dated to the era between the reign of
King Amenhotep II and the one of King Thutmose IV.
Owner of the tomb:
The owner of the tomb is yet unknown
Architectural Planning:
The tomb has a court lined with stone and mud-brick walls. It has a six meters deep burial shaft at its southern side that lead to four side chambers.
The tomb’s entrance is located at the eastern side with a sandstone façade without any inscriptions. It leads to a rectangular hall with a Niche. Studies reveal that the tomb was reused in antiquity.
The inscriptions of the Tomb:
All the inscriptions are found on the western wall located at the
tomb’s northern end. It shows two feast scenes. The first depicts a person, probably the deceased’s brother, presenting offerings and flowers to the deceased and his wife.
The second scene is found below the first one and shows a number of guests standing in four rows among which a row consists of three men and three women. The first man in the row is the Keeper of the storeroom.
The artifacts discovered inside the Tomb:
Most the discovered items are fragments of wooden coffins. The most important are:
A large wooden mask which was originally a part of an Osirian coffin A small painted wooden mask.
A fragment of a gilded wooden mask in a bad condition of preservation.
Four legs for wooden chairs that were among the deceased funerary equipment.
The lower part of a wooden Osirian shaped coffin decorated with a scene of goddess Isis lifting up her hands.
# Tomb Kampp 150
It is located to the south of tomb Kampp-157 and next to tomb
TT167
History:
According to the cartouche of king Thutmosis I found engraved
on the ceiling of one of the tomb’s chambers, it could be dated
to the end of the 17th Dynasty and the beginning of the 18th
Dynasty
Owner of the tomb:
The tomb’s owner is unknown yet but there are two possibilities.
The first suggests that the tomb could belong to a person named “Djehuty Mes” as his name was engraved on one of the walls.
The second possibility sees that the owner could be the scribe
“Maati” as his name and the name of his wife “Mehi” were inscribed on 50 funerary cones found in the tomb’s rectangular chamber.
Architectural Planning:
The tomb has five eastern entrances that open on a rectangular hall partly damaged with two burial shafts. The first one is located at the northern side and the second is at the southern side. Another two chambers were found which one of which has a niche and two burial shafts of ten and seven meters deep.
A burial of a woman named “Isis Nefret” was found. Studies suggest that it could be the mother of the tomb’s owner. Inside the burial a wooden coffin painted with yellow and different ancient Egyptian scenes was found along with 36 Ushabti figurines. A very special ushabti depicting Isis Nefret in the form of Osiris is found. It is 60 cm tall and painted in white, red, green, blue, yellow and black.
Tomb’s Inscriptions:
The tomb has only one inscription on one of its northern pillars.
It shows a scene of a seated man offering food to four oxen, the
first one is kneeling in front of the man who is giving it herbs.
The scene also depict five people while fabricating funerary
furniture.
The entrance of the long hall inscribed with remains of hieroglyphic text with the name of “Djehuty Mes.” The ceiling of the chamber is inscribed with remains of hieroglyphic inscriptions and the cartouche of King Thutmose I.
The artifacts discovered inside the tomb:
100 funerary cones
Painted wooden funerary masks
A collection of 450 statues carved in different materials such
as clay, wood and faience Small box in the shape of a wooden coffin with a lid. It was probably used for storing an Ushabti figurine of17 cm tall and 6 cm large
A collection of clay vessels with different shapes and sizes
A mummy wrapped in linen where its hands are on its chest in
the Osirian form. The mummy was found inside the long chamber.
Studies suggest that the mummy could be for a top official or
a powerful person
And thanks to Aayko Eyma for the following
* Note the tombs had already numbers, Kampp -150- and
Kampp -161-, which refers to the survey of (excavated
and unexcavated) tombs by Friederike Kampp in Die Thebanische Nekropole. Zum Wandel des Grabgedankens von der XVIII. bis zur XX. Dynastie (Mainz 1996). So different numbering than the TT numbering.

Video footage inside the tomb:

Another:

This report has excellent photos of the finds: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/283041.aspx
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I would have expected your post to have got a lot more remarks WI, but even after 5 days and all that information you gave the lovers seem to have deserted the forum. Could this find be used to boost tourism a bit? I don't know, but the incentive on new finds does not seem to be there. When more info, is published lets hope people will show more interest. Although I will never visit myself, I still like to hear of new discoveries.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I would have expected your post to have got a lot more remarks WI, but even after 5 days and all that information you gave the lovers seem to have deserted the forum.
Perhaps, at this point, there's nothing really to add to WI's informative post?

Then again, those members of the forum with more than a peripheral interest in Egyptology, may be aware of the adage :

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

You should try it.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Newcastle, I don't care if I never get any "Likes" for any of my posts. I do, however, note that the number of views has increased from the low 20s to 63 in a couple of days. That proves to me the interest in Egyptology on here is far from dead.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As Newcastle pointed out, WI’s post was clear and concise so little need for comment at this stage.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Thank you for posting Winged Isis, I had read your post and found it interesting and informative. I had given it a "like" but for some that's not enough so on bended knee thank you thank you. :)
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Kampp's book is a remarkably clear index to the tombs in Luxor and well worth a read. What a pity that it has not been translated out of German.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote:Kampp's book is a remarkably clear index to the tombs in Luxor and well worth a read. What a pity that it has not been translated out of German.
Must admit Brian, I have never come across this book, and my grandfather would never buy any good books, unless they were in Eglish. Having said that even old Maspero did not like the idea of having his early works translated into, what I am sure, he regarded, as the ignorant 'Anglo- set'.

I know Draa Abul Naga very well, if I can find time later this evening, I shall write up a little information to help interested people still living on the WB. :wi .
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Draa Abul Naga is a truly wonderful place and quite different from any other ancient burial ground anywhere in Egypt, the atmosphere is rather strange, and therefore can only really be explained by ones own personnel experience.

The easiest way to get to this area is by approaching it by a path you find about 500 metres along the start of the road to the Valley of the Kings from the cross roads known as Sitt Zaban (being the name of the tomb of a hold Muslin woman). Climbing up this path, you will notice it then falls away into a small valley, now slowly walk towards the North, as you now enter an almost theatre, where strange it may sound, you sudden find yourself on 'stage', the opened mouthed tombs seem like 'royal boxes' high up and all around you. You honestly feel as though you are there to give some sort of strange performance.

If you carefully study the now gated enterances to these beautiful tombs, especially those of the North side, you can easily pick out the names of their owners, but then again, you can be mistaken. In the 1900's the British had exclusive rites to this site, but funny as it may be even today, the British Museum display various items from these tombs but fail to give the correct name of tomb occupant. Most of the tombs in Draa Abul Naga have been re-used, and in some case three separate occupants, the previous occupant being placed in deep shaft burials, though within the original tomb. Of course it is easy to see why this was such a popular burial site, especially during the New Kingdom. We should also note that, like Deir el Medina, this area was a holy sites long before the 18th Dynasty. It is my belief that in this area there must be at least two pharaohs buried in shaft tombs immediately before the 18th Dynasty.

If you wish to visit this area, may I suggest you do not take a camera or any other item that may suggest a different intention than that of which I would want you to undertake. Believe me, you will always see much more of the secret sites that Egypt has to offer, if you do not need to prove that you have actually been there,.........think about it :wi .
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

..... like Deir el Medina, this area was a holy sites long before the 18th Dynasty.....
Can you produce any evidence for this assertion?

Perhaps you meant Deir el Bahari.
Last edited by newcastle on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Is there a reason why A4 should Newc? he does not live full time in Luxor anymore, I am sure that people living in Egypt will have a better way of finding things out. I have never had no reason to doubt A4 on ancient Egyptian knowledge, he has done more research than virtually anyone else. Myself and A4 have had many interesting talks about ancient Egypt and his knowledge is both wide and intensive.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:Is there a reason why A4 should Newc? he does not live full time in Luxor anymore, I am sure that people living in Egypt will have a better way of finding things out. I have never had no reason to doubt A4 on ancient Egyptian knowledge, he has done more research than virtually anyone else. Myself and A4 have had many interesting talks about ancient Egypt and his knowledge is both wide and intensive.
Possibly not. Maybe it's sensible to come out with a statement based on no evidence whatsoever and expect people to swallow it.

You would know :urm:

Maybe A-Four can point us to some evidence that Deir el Medina was other than a remote, uninhabited and unused area pre-18th dynasty. That it was a holy site of some kind.

Otherwise, his assertion, contrary as it appears to be to any archaeological evidence, would have to be dismissed as the product of a fanciful imagination.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote:Is there a reason why A4 should Newc? he does not live full time in Luxor anymore, I am sure that people living in Egypt will have a better way of finding things out. I have never had no reason to doubt A4 on ancient Egyptian knowledge, he has done more research than virtually anyone else. Myself and A4 have had many interesting talks about ancient Egypt and his knowledge is both wide and intensive.
I do thank you Major Thom for your kind words, and although I never bother with the various ugly comments that are made towards your good self, as you wind up the usual suspects on this forum, what is now over two years, have poured their differing forms of venom over each of your posts.

With reference to our past conversations, I have said that in archaeology, and more importantly Egyptology, it is vital that you observe things that may not automatically come to your immeatiate attention. Such hidden things may be part of what you immeadiatly see, it could be underneath or in fact behind the immeatiate object.

To give you an example for you to study now you live in Cyprus. The next time you are in Nicosia, visit the very interesting Cathederal of St John. It was built around the same time as St Paul's Cathederal in Lonon. The stone masons of this era were far more removed from the faith than their predecessors of the Medevial period. Careful study in London reveals many, shall we say, rather unauthodox messages. However at St John's in Nicosia, such 'messages' are far more daring. One fine example, the West door lintel depicts a very ancient symbol of the might Sol Invictus in all its glory. In truth very few people notice this, and those that do have little knowledge of its true meaning.

When we look at similar sites in Egypt, we often see many similarities, with what occasionally have school boy humorous attributions,.........I joke not. Such examples that can be found even on the WB Luxor today, and certainly have no relation what so ever to do with the 18th - 20th Dynasty

With very careful study of the WB, it is easy to discover fine examples of even 6th Dynasty buildings and tombs that can certainly collectively give a fine picture of life there at that early stage, that can then go on to form the future picture of the 12th Dynasty, and then develop the wider picture that we have before us today.

Today, at Deir el Medina, if you walk to the village Temple, walk along the north side of outside perimeter wall to the back area, you will quickly come across Hathor shrines that date back to the 6th Dynasty. Why do so few know this ? ........simply because others can not be bothered.

Unfortunately, after more than two years I still do not have a PM facility either to receive or send messages, therefore I take this oppertunity in wishing you and your good lady wife all the best for Chrimbo and the New Year. :wi
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Today, at Deir el Medina, if you walk to the village Temple, walk along the north side of outside perimeter wall to the back area, you will quickly come across Hathor shrines that date back to the 6th Dynasty.
Absolute rubbish.

I challenge you to produce one iota of evidence for that statement.

The Hathor shrines you mention have been exhaustively excavated by Schiaparelli and, later, by Bruyère who found no evidence of anything pre-dating the New Kingdom.

More recent work confirms their findings that the Hathor shrines date from Seti I

http://www.deirelmedina.com/lenka/Chapelsnorth.htm

Nor does Ann Bomann offer any evidence of pre-New Kingdom activity in her excellent book The Private Chapel in Ancient Egypt.

Finally :

"Ruins of numerous small chapels and temples of various types, the earliest of which date to the 18th Dynasty, are located around the northern part of the village settlement. "

https://escholarship.org/content/qt6kt9 ... 1c069ef55d
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It's a pity. A-Four, that you had to come up with that nonsense about the 6th Dynasty when the link referenced above supports your contention that Deir el Medina was, in some ways, a sacred site.

"The site of Deir el-Medina, located in a desert valley on the west bank of Luxor, was conceived as sacred ground. Tombs were built here as early as the Middle Kingdom and a village settlement housing the royal-tomb builders was founded on the site in the early New Kingdom."

"Middle Kingdom tomb P. 1261. The oldest structure that has been identified thus far on the Deir el-Medina site is tomb P. 1261, situated on the hill-slope to the west of the village. "

https://escholarship.org/content/qt6kt9 ... 1c069ef55d

Of course it's hardly surprising that the whole of the West Bank, in the shadow of the sacred mountain El Qurn, would have been a prime site for burials, and possibly worship, from early times.