Archaeo-physic of Tutankhamun's Tomb Begins

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Archaeo-physic of Tutankhamun's Tomb Begins

Post by Winged Isis »

Fingers crossed there will be a result, preferably the desired one.

Archaeo-physic of Tutankhamun's tomb: from Turin to Luxor
30 January 2018

After almost a year of waiting, Archeo-Physics researchers at the Polytechnic University of Turin have finally obtained the green light from Egypt for the decisive geo-radar measurements from inside the Tomb of Tutankhamun (code number: KV62) in the Valley of the Kings a Luxor. The measurements will be conducted between January 31 and February 6, 2018 with the objective of verifying the presence of empty spaces and/or corridors hidden behind the walls of Tutankhamun’s burial chamber. According to a theory proposed by the English Egyptologist Nicholas Reeves, the KV62 tomb could be, in fact, part of a larger tomb belonging perhaps to Queen Nefertiti.

According to Professor Franco Porcelli, principal investigator of the research group coordinated by the Polytechnic University of Turin, three different last-generation radar systems will be employed for this research. In this way, the possible existence of hidden structures of relevance archaeological site adjacent to the tomb of Tutankhamun can be established with a 99% degree of confidence. One of the tasks will be to cross-check the geo-radar measurements with data obtained last May using a different non-invasive technique, based on the three-dimensional mapping of the electrical resistivity of the subsoil around Tutankhamun’s tomb. The May data suggested the presence of suspicious cavities in the rock a few meters away from KV62. The geo-radar measurements from the inside of KV62 will help understand whether these suspicious cavities are indeed real and directly connected with KV62.

For this research, a team of experts has been put together, belonging to two departments of the Politecnico di Torino (the Department of Applied Science and Technology and the Department of Environmental, Territory and Infrastructure Engineering), in collaboration with a professor from the University of Turin (Department of Earth Sciences) and two private companies, 3DGeoimaging of Turin and Geostudi Astier of Livorno. Terravision, a British company, is also involved in the research, as well as the Egyptian Archaeological Center in Cairo in the role of Egyptological consultancy. The project also enjoys the collaboration of experts from the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities under the guidance of former Minister Mamdouh Eldamaty. The research project, supported by the Turin Polytechnic, is sponsored by the Novara Sviluppo Foundation, Geostudi Astier and National Geographic.

https://poliflash.polito.it/en/research ... n_to_luxor

Carpe diem! :le:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Archaeo-physic of Tutankhamun's Tomb Begins

Post by newcastle »

A third, and perhaps final, attempt to identify whether there is anything significant behind the walls of KV62,

Porcelli was behind earlier attempts which proved inconclusive.

"Porcelli explained to Seeker that his probe will tell once and for all if King Tut's tomb hides a secret burial chamber.

"This will be the final investigation," Porcelli said. "We will provide an answer which is 99 percent definitive."

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot ... KeuQdDC.97
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Work has started on the new investigation of Tut's tomb. The work in carried on at night, after the valley is closed to visitors,

Full details and some interesting pictures :

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... can-egypt/
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

I thought this a fair comment on the previous attempts:

The Journal of Ancient Egyptian Architecture

Finally, the third round of scans in Tutankhamun's tomb is taking place in Upper Egypt now to try and establish if Nicholas Reeves's theory that Nefertiti is burried behind the wall has any basis in reality or not. Whatever the result, it will be good to get final closure on this project. Scientific method does not care if there is something there or not, but it is important to report findings clearly, negative or positive, so that the global audience watching can see that science is a process with real verifiable results. Unfortunately, when media, politics, and tourism are mixed in with the scientific process, it can be difficult to keep the research, and the narrative that goes with it, on the straight and narrow path of truth.

https://www.facebook.com/JAEAOfficial/? ... VU&fref=nf

From the NatGeo report above: "If the results confirm the existence of voids beyond the walls, it will mark the beginning of an even more exciting scientific pursuit to determine what—or who—rests beyond Tut's tomb."

It well may be nothing or no-one.

Their next biggest dilemma is How. How to get inside without damaging anything in or nearby Tut's tomb, and whether through an opening big enough for a human or small enough for a camera.

I do wish them luck, and for Egypt's sake (and that of Nicholas Reeve), I so much hope it will be something significant.
Carpe diem! :le:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

How very exiting and wonderful if a new untouched tomb could be found and opened up. I am sure that all those with a love of Egypt will be watching developments as they unfold. Myself included. :up
Grandad :gg:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Grandad wrote:How very exiting and wonderful if a new untouched tomb could be found and opened up. I am sure that all those with a love of Egypt will be watching developments as they unfold. Myself included. :up
I do agree with you Grandad, unfortunately, if they were to discover another royal tomb I fear we would be 'drip-fed' the findings they bring to surface, and as for us being able to visit the extended tomb, I fear the legs that carry us will have long given up the ghost.

A week or so ago, I wrote on a subject post in this section of the forum with regards a present dig in the Western Valley regarding voids or as we call such things these days as sink holes. I suspect such voids have occurred even in the past century.

I don't have time today, but will write more on this subject tomorrow,........that is if someone else doesn't get there before me. :ct .
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

A-Four wrote:I don't have time today, but will write more on this subject tomorrow
On past experience, I can pretty much guarantee that you won't.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

FarleyFlavors wrote:
A-Four wrote:I don't have time today, but will write more on this subject tomorrow
I only occasionally look in here but obviously nothing has changed. If all you can manage is 116 posts in 7 years FarleyFlavors I am guessing that some of the others will contain similar vitriol. I'm off to more friendly sites. :(

Bye!
Grandad :gg:
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Grandad wrote:If all you can manage is 116 posts in 7 years FarleyFlavors I am guessing that some of the others will contain similar vitriol.
This doesn't make much sense, does it?

I've only posted 116 times in 7 years therefore you surmise that some of my other posts will be vitriolic.

If I had posted even fewer times, would you assume that a larger percentage of my posts contained vitriol?

And if I had posted more frequently, would you assume that a smaller number were vitriolic?

How many posts would I have had to make for you to assume that only the above post was vitriolic?
Grandad wrote:Bye!
Bye!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

FarleyFlavors wrote:
Vitriol?? More like carbolic acid than sulphuric :ct

Anyway....let's hope that A-Four doesn't take umbrage.

I've cleared my diary and await elucidation......