Tutankhamun Tomb radar survey

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Tutankhamun Tomb radar survey

Post by newcastle »

Apparently there's been some press comment regarding a 15-metre cavity revealed in latest survey. Can't say I've seen it myself but it's prompted a swift disclaimer from the Ministry of Antiquities :

Ministry of Antiquities وزارة الآثار
20 hrs ·

In response of what has been published in media claiming the discovery of a15-meters deep hole hidden behind the walls of Tutankhamun’s tomb, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, Mustafa Waziri announced that the ministry of antiquities did not receive any reports concerning the discovery of a15-meters deep hole hidden behind the walls of the tomb of Tutankhamun on Luxor’s West Bank during the third radar survey carried out on the king’s burial chamber.

The work started early February and lasted for a week after the approval of all concerned authorities and the ministry’s permanent committee.

Director of the Department of Foreign Missions and Permanent Committees, Mohamed Ismail said that he received on Wednesday the head of the exploration mission working at the tomb of Tutankhamun who asserted that his team cannot expect the results of the operation before three weeks to study the four radar readings carried out last week inside the tomb.

Ismail also said that what has been published in media is unfounded and not true. It also breaks the articles of the antiquities protection law and its executive regulation stipulating that any announced should be first approved by the ministry’s permanent committee in order to ensure scientific credibility .

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Tutankhamun Tomb radar survey

Post by Brian Yare »

"ministry’s permanent committee in order to ensure scientific credibility "

Oxymoron?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Apparently the Italian team found zilch behind walls of KV 62.

http://luxortimesmagazine.blogspot.co.u ... re-in.html

Presumably that's that for the Nefertiti saga.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I think locals dug round the back and emptied the place a few months back, or so the rumour goes.... 8)
Ps: Oh! On 2nd thoughts, wasn't 'the Prat in the Hat digging around there a few months back, just a thought..
everybody needs a bit of baksheesh in these hard times especially double time on the night shift!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Poor, poor Egypt. :a7:
Carpe diem! :le:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Her's another piece of speculation from a few years ago, could the disturbed earth or cavity have been where Carter entered the Tomb previous to telling the world. There was speculation about him entering the tomb previously, looking what was inside and then resealing the tomb to look for the real entry. But again like this it was only speculation, but another speculative story to come out in the future.
Excuse me for asking but why Poor Egypt WI? or are you meaning if it was proven it may attract more tourism? or are you stating Poor Egypt because that is what the Country is!
I am not against speculative stories coming out of any Country, but it would be easier to prove before broadcasting, every Country is guilty of this for some reason or other.
There are still many things to be discovered in the V of K, but find them first. One of the greatest things that could happen is a wealth laden tomb being discovered, then it would be a triumph, I am sure it will happen some day.
I noticed that the Antiquities are not mentioning the fact the suspected chamber was found by Italian's. There may well be a cavity there, but the land shifts and alters every year caused by erosion and disturbances.
When we lived there I was into the old history, but now feel that a lot of the history may be gone for good due to the tomb robbers and maybe thieving workers. But it would be great to find an unopened tomb baring all its treasure's. In this case I always thought they were on a wasted hunt.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote:There was speculation about him entering the tomb previously, looking what was inside and then resealing the tomb to look for the real entry. But again like this it was only speculation, but another speculative story to come out in the future..
The reason why the old story that the tomb had previously been robbed in antiquity, was originally put about by Carter, because it was he who entered a separate part of the tomb without authority from Cairo.

The idea that some one gained entry to this tomb via a tunnel is crazy. I believe a massive flash flood occurred before the 20th Dynasty, totally sealing this immediate area including the tomb of Yuya and Tuya to a depth of almost fifteen feet with shale, that then set like concrete. Those who have visited the tomb of Tutankhamoun will remember, you first climb down a series of steps before arriving at the enterence of the tomb, it is then that you enter the doorway then climb down the first of the many steps into the vault.

The Valley of the Kings looked remarkably different in the 18th Dynasty to what it did in the 19th Century A.D., and then again totally different after Carter had moved around a thousand tonnes, and evidence can clearly be seen today of the results of his excavations.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

The shift of sand and time A4, I am sure you are correct about the flooding of many tombs, it may have been the flooding that disturbed the sands and land around the tombs and created gaps and cavities, or even the earthquakes that Egypt suffered in those days. There is a fault line that follows through the Red Sea stretching the land for 100's of miles, if that collapsed there may be even more cavities made.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

There is no doubt that the tomb was entered, shortly after the interment. Carter found evidence of this, and the stamps of the necropolis guards who resealed the tomb. It is likely that many tombs suffered similar assaults by thieves anxious to access perishable grave goods.

Carter was, in some ways, happy that the tomb had been breached in that Carnavon would not be entitled to a share of an intact tomb, under the regulations in force at the time.

That Carter entered the burial chamber is also accepted nowadays. The rest of the party more or less confirmed it in private correspondence some years later. He would only have had time for a brief look, confirming that the burial chamber itself was intact.

The theory that the tomb entrance was covered by a flood sometime in the following century, and forgotten, is very likely - based on geological evidence.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

I've just finished re-reading for the second time in many years Carter's biography. A few things are, naturally out of date, but the rest will explain all. Recommended.

Howard Carter. The Path to Tutankhamun by TGH James.

Currently re-reading Amelia Edwards' A Thousand Miles Up the Nile.
Carpe diem! :le: