Revival of the Avenue of Rams

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Revival of the Avenue of Rams

Post by Winged Isis »

From Luxor News Live Facebook page (their translation):

Pursuant to the guidance of President El-Sisi:
Minister, ʿnạny̱ and badr check the work of the draft road project with shorter

IN IMPLEMENTING THE DIRECTIVES OF PRESIDENT ABDELFATTAH EL-Sisi, with the completion of the discovery project and the revival of the avenue of rams ạlfrʿwny̱, which connects the karnak and the palace 2700 metres long, the general of the entire minister, the head of the armed forces engineering The Minister of Antiquities, and Dr. Mohammed Badr, the governor of Luxor, on Monday, working out the remaining stages of the project that will transform Luxor City into the largest open museum in the world.

The "Minister, Al-ʿNạny̱ and badr" tour included the remaining stages of the road and plans to remove some of the facilities and houses above the world's oldest road.

According to sources in the Luxor Governorate, the evangelical community will be delivered today, the alternative land of the east railway region, which will be built on an alternative church for the church of the community that has been agreed to be removed and located above the campus road

The removal of some houses in the karnak area, along with the walls behind an orthodox church, is being studied in agreement with the population, the church's responsibility, and the visit of the full-time brigade of the minister for the two days is aimed at removing all obstacles At the same time, it is the second visit by the chairman of the body to the armed forces of the project during April.

Carpe diem! :le:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Revival of the Avenue of Rams

Post by carrie »

When I go across to the other side I usually walk along the avenue of the rams, down the road that used to have the old fire station on it and Jamboree restaurant. Now though they have dug up all the road so that there is no way to cross to Yusef Hassen street. I have to walk all the way round from the ferry to McDonalds then straight on to get to the Emilio Hotel. Blooming nuisance especially when it's hot.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

You would have thought they may have left a walkway for pedestrians while its going on. Wonder if business's close by are being effected?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote:You would have thought they may have left a walkway for pedestrians while its going on. Wonder if business's close by are being effected?
No, the original plan as set out, made it quite clear that this is exactly what the government of Egypt do not want. It seems to me that the final transformation of Luxor, which I wrote about in detail on this forum several years ago, is trully beginning to take shape,

People who use the ferry from the WB will soon now realise, as Carrie points out, that the docking area at present on the East Bank is of little use. Again as I point out years ago on here the future plan was to have two new docking areas on the East Bank, one in Karnack and the other being where the old car ferry was situated next to the Nova Hotel. Something I should point out though is that the new open air museum is being financed by central government, and therefore locals will be discouraged from entering. The new required docking areas are to be financed by local government, that was the 'state of play' as part of the grand plan as of ten years ago.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

There will be no docking point at Karnak end. The new one will be either opposite the Winter Palace, or further towards Karnak opposite the General hospital. From what I hear, the Winter Palace is not in favor of it going opposite them, and the locals would prefer it opposite the hospital if in need of medical treatment. But this is Egypt, they may just decide to move it near the most inaccessible point imaginable.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I do understand your points here Dusak, but I can only tell you of what was to be the master plan, and as you say things change constantly. The reason why I refer to that master plan, is because during my time there the money for such work came directly from Cairo, had it been coming from the then Luxor City Council, that plan would have not got off the drawing board, even by now.

You mention a future proposed crossing near to the General Hospital, this was proposed by Cairo as a direct crossing from the old tourist port on the WB to this area, but for tourist ONLY., to make a visit to Luxor Museum, relax in the new garden corniche, before climbing the steps to where is a cul-de-sac road, where the tourist catch their tour buses to the East Bank sites, after which they are taken directly back to their cruise boats.In the distant past this idea as a local ferry would have been excellent, when the local and national bus station was within walking distance, though this was demolished some fifteen years ago, and is now situation in the south of the city.

The reason why they initially wanted two ferry ports on the East Bank was for the various local bus connections at Karnack, and the old car ferry port, in Luxor. From what I understood at the time, the Karnack port was to be at the old pontoon bridge platform.

The main point of the Cairo master plan was that the international tourist would not come into contact with any of the Luxor locals throughout their visit whether that be East or West Bank. When I initially wrote about this on here many years ago now, the idea was ridiculed, but now we begin to see the picture develop. There will always be independent travellers in Luxor, who will stay at the good hotels both East and West, but never on the scale as seen in the past.