Romer's Egypt

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Romer's Egypt

Post by newcastle »

THere's precious little to watch in Egyptian TV (unless you're fluent in Arabic) at the best of times. During Ramadan, it's even grimmer. So I decided to revisit " Romer's Egypt".

A bit dated now...but still incomparably better than Egyptian histories produced by the likes of National Geographic. It's also interesting for the shots of the sites before the days of mass tourism.

Recommended for anyone with an interest in Ancient Egypt,

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Romer's Egypt

Post by Horus »

Thanks for posting these interesting videos. :up
I always enjoyed watching John Romer, quietly spoken with no dramatic gestures, a man who was very knowledgeable about his subject. As I recall he was not so happy with the way Egypt cared for its national treasures and even hinted at knowing the location of other tombs in the VOK but would not reveal them until their current policy changed.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Thanks very much Newcastle, not seen these before! Just watched the first one, extremely interesting. Will be watching the other two later!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Thanks for posting these interesting videos. :up
I always enjoyed watching John Romer, quietly spoken with no dramatic gestures, a man who was very knowledgeable about his subject. As I recall he was not so happy with the way Egypt cared for its national treasures and even hinted at knowing the location of other tombs in the VOK but would not reveal them until their current policy changed.
Yes...he had a long spat with egyptologiists - Kent Weeks in particular - feeling they were contributing to the irreparable damage to the tombs and monuments.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38187&hilit=The+rape+of+tutankhamun
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Thanks for posting these interesting videos. :up
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38187&hilit=The+rape+of+tutankhamun
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Seems that I have also repeated my earlier comment about John Romer and the VOK, I suppose I should have said "as you will remember I made an earlier comment about him some time ago" :lol: :lol: