The man who shot Tutankhamun

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

The man who shot Tutankhamun

Post by newcastle »

I think this was first shown in 2017, but I missed it.

It’s now being shown on BBC I player if anyone’s interested.

This is the story of Harry Burton, one of the great heroes of British photography. As the official photographer for Howard Carter’s Tutankhamun excavation during the 1920s, Burton created some of the 20th Century’s most famous images and helped to make Tutankhamun an international sensation.
The film explores key locations in Burton’s life in the UK and Egypt, and sets Burton’s famous black-and-white images of Howard Carter’s Tutankhamun excavation alongside forgotten colour photographs and cine film shot by Burton himself.

The team, led by Margaret Mountford and contemporary photographer Harry Cory Wright, will also stage creative photographic experiments to discover the secrets of Burton’s art, re-creating the make-shift studio and dark room that Burton set up by the Pharaoh’s tomb, to reveal how he produced his iconic images.

Burton immortalised some of the most iconic moments of the 20th century, and besides recording the progress of the archaeology, his images capture the mystery, drama and excitement of one of the great archaeological discoveries of the century.

Apologies for not posting this on more appropriate section. Won’t risk moving it on the wonky iPad I’m using :lol:

Edit by Horus: Moved it for you. ;)

denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: The man who shot Tutankhamun

Post by denisegr »

I watched this some time ago and enjoyed it very much, how he got the results he did was amazing
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Out of curiosity, but did Burton take the last picture of Tut, before the lid was closed ? or was that Carter himself.. ?
I just wondered if that was mentioned in the program..
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:Out of curiosity, but did Burton take the last picture of Tut, before the lid was closed ? or was that Carter himself.. ?
I just wondered if that was mentioned in the program..
Don’t be silly John.....the “ancients” took their cameras with them shortly after organising the building of the pyramids centuries before Tut.

The court painter made a nice picture of him in his burial shroud on the back wall though :lol:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Helpful answer as always, too much sun and salt water perpaps... :tk