Discovery of Ramses II's Royal Lobby

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Discovery of Ramses II's Royal Lobby

Post by Winged Isis »

Min. of antiquities announces discovery of Ramses II's royal lobby
By: Mustafa Marie Thu, Mar. 28, 2019

CAIRO - 28 March 2019: The New York University's Archaeological Mission, working at the Temple of Ramses II in Abydos, uncovered the lobby of the palace of Ramses II attached to his temple.

The stones used for the inauguration and establishment of the temple were also found during archaeological excavations around the temple.

Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Mustafa Waziri revealed that the discovery will change the map of the temple, which was discovered 150 years ago.

The new discovery provides further knowledge about the layout and accessories of the temples during the era of Ramses II. The ancient lobby consists of walls built of limestone and bricks, as well as floors of limestone tiles.

The mission also found a second lobby with a column of sandstone bearing the name of Ramses II; that is in addition to other stone blocks decorated with stars that adorned the lobby’s roof.

For his part, Head of the archaeological mission Sameh Iskandar stated that a stone passage was discovered during excavations by the south-west entrance of the temple, which turned out to be a pathway to the entrance bearing the remains of the engraving of Ramses II's cartouche on the walls.

Iskander added that the excavations also revealed one of the rarest archaeological discoveries, the stones used for the inauguration and establishment of the temple, which consisted of golden engravings portraying the royalty of Ramses II.

Photos: http://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/676 ... -Ramses-II

Carpe diem! :le:
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Discovery of Ramses II's Royal Lobby

Post by Yildez »

This temple has always been a "must see" on my numerous visits to Abydos!!! Very interesting, with amazing colour on many of the wall paintings, and yet generally no other visitors. Kom el Sultan, the huge walled enclosure, remains off limits to the ordinary visitor - Carrie and I were nearly arrested a few years ago, when we tried to walk to it!! - but hopefully this area will be accessible on my next visit.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Discovery of Ramses II's Royal Lobby

Post by A-Four »

Yildez wrote: Carrie and I were nearly arrested a few years ago, when we tried to walk to it!! - but hopefully this area will be accessible on my next visit.
I hate to tell you this Yildez but, the general who is in charge of tourist security at Abydos has very strict instructions with regards to any one getting any where near the place you mention. You may have noticed in recent years that there is a four feet wall along the route to and past the Ramessis temple this is to stop the people from the large village of Beni Mansur 'trespassing' along the desert floor, a little similar to the wall on the W.B. Luxor. Believe me or not, it has been reported that people with gun have fired at tourist from this village.

Abydos and the royal enclosure that you mention are wonderful spiritual places, I have had the privilege of being at both places throughout the night when no one is there, a truly remarkable experience, that is certainly not east to describe, and will never forget, though this was when a rather remarkable person, known to this forum lived there, who I shall always be eternally grateful to.