Second restoration phase of Upper Egypt's Dendera Temple complex completed.

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Second restoration phase of Upper Egypt's Dendera Temple complex completed.

Post by DJKeefy »

As part of a plan by the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities to preserve the Dendera Temple complex in Upper Egypt’s Qena and develop the area around it into an open-air museum, the second phase of restoration and development has been completed.

The work includes the restoration and cleaning of the great hall, the entrance façade, and the birth kiosk.

In 2020, three crypts and the rooftop of the temple were opened to the public after restoration.

The Temple of Hathor at Dendera contains a number of small crypts on its eastern, southern, and western sides. These are thought to have served as warehouses or treasuries for ritual furnishings, sacred and ceremonial equipment, and the divine images used in celebrating various feasts and holidays.

The crypts are small, however, and they likely did not serve as the sites of formal rituals.

Mustafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), has said that three of the 12 crypts found beneath the temple have been opened.

The crypts can only be accessed through small openings and have low ceilings and walls decorated with ancient Egyptian scenes. Only one of the crypts was previously open to the public.

The rooftop of the temple was also not previously accessible to visitors, but after restoration, visitors can enjoy the panoramic view of Qena from the top of the building for the first time.

Abdel-Hakim Al-Sagheer, head of the Dendara Temple said that the temple conservation project had originally started in 2005, but had stopped in 2011 and then resumed in 2017.

In 2019, in collaboration with a French archaeological mission, blocks, stelae and statues that were uncovered in the area and left in situ since their initial discovery were restored and put on newly fabricated mounts in the open-air area of the temple. The displays include artefacts from the area’s store galleries.

Newly fabricated blocks have been placed in the open courtyard at the entrance of the temple, where a collection of statues of ancient Egyptian deities has been installed. Among these are statues of the goddess Hathor, the god Bes, and the falcon god Nekhbet Waawet.

The Dendera Temple, one of the best-preserved ancient Egyptian temples, was built mainly of sandstone, and was uncovered in the mid-19th century by French Egyptologist Auguste Mariette.

In its present form, the Temple of Dendera is largely Ptolemaic and Roman, its reconstruction having taken place under the Greek Ptolemies, the last dynasty of ancient Egypt (305-30 BCE), and completed some 185 years later under the Roman emperor Tiberius.

In dedicating a temple to Hathor, the Ptolemies honoured one of Egypt’s most popular deities.

Under Greek and Roman rule, Egyptian temples continued to have mammisi (birth houses), and the surviving mammisi at Dendera was reconstructed by the Roman Emperor Augustus near the ruins of the one built by the Pharaoh Nectanebo and is adorned with reliefs added by the Roman Emperor Trajan relating to the birth of the god Horus.

It was converted into a church in the fifth century CE, and a Christian basilica was built in the area between it and the original birth house of Nectanebo.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg
Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/405260.aspx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandad

Re: Second restoration phase of Upper Egypt's Dendera Temple complex completed.

Post by Grandad »

@DJKeefy
The rooftop of the temple was also not previously accessible to visitors, but after restoration, visitors can enjoy the panoramic view of Qena from the top of the building for the first time.
Is that strictly true Keefy? I can well remember climbing up unto the roof on all of my visits to Dendra. One of my favourite days out with the trip on the river....
Grandad :gg:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Grandad wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:42 pm @DJKeefy
Is that strictly true Keefy? I can well remember climbing up unto the roof on all of my visits to Dendra. One of my favourite days out with the trip on the river....
I think they are talking about the elevated bit at the front.

This is accessible by a metal ladder which has been wired off for years....presumably for safety reasons.

Perhaps they’ve made it safer.

You would certainly have to get up there to get a view of Qena as otherwise the walls obscure the view in the direction of the Nile.
garfield4

Post by garfield4 »

i am sure i was on the roof to see the (replica) zodiac many years ago. ???
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

garfield4 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 am i am sure i was on the roof to see the (replica) zodiac many years ago. ???

Sure.

There’s the kiosk and a couple of chapels on the roof...one of which houses the replica zodiac. This - the main - part of the roof has always been open but an elevated section at the front was wired off for safety reasons.

It’s this bit which is now accessible.