Favourite Kings Valley Tomb.

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Favourite Kings Valley Tomb.

Post by A-Four »

I was asked by two separate people I came across who knows me as A-Four while in Egypt, and asked me which was my favourite tomb in the great valley, to be honest that's quite difficult, but suprisingly it is certainly not the ones that are so easily visited today. A beautiful one is further along from what is supposed to have been Hatchepsuit's. Its very simple and certainly unfinished, with just a simple corridor, though the artwork is stunning. On the official category it is known as the tomb of the prince.

Having said this I believe the most important is that of Horumheb, for a couple of reasons that it, itself tells us. A humble person himself was head of the army, and with the turmoil of the Amarni period, the sudden death of Tutankhamun, then three years later that of Ay a new and somewhat uniting ruler was required. This was to be Horumheb, who in truth should be the founder of the 19th Dynasty, his reign was some twenty five years, in that time he had built one of the deepest tombs in the valley, we can only assume that he believed that he was NOT an annointed Pharaoh, therefore his tomb may be desecrated as he probably witnessed with Tutankhamun's tomb by Ay. For me the most important account of this person is in his sarcophagus chamber where we can see the judgement of the 'weighing of the heart' that is most prominent, a Pharaoh certainly did not require such a seen. This is a wonderful beautiful display of his honestly and humbleness before the gods. On the very day of his death, we can clearly see how work on his tomb came to a very abrupt end, which infact has taught archeologists the full procedure of how the famous decorations of the tombs was achieved. After the death of Horumheb, SETI another general took co trol of the country for a short period, but then came the power house of Ramesses.

The first time I saw this tomb was by kind permission from Mr Ali Asfar, who was then chief inspector of Luxor which is now long ago, in the past years it has been open to the public, but these days because of limited time available to group tourists it no longer easy to get access to this tomb, I am sorry to say.