Consular services

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Consular services

Post by Brian Yare »

I don't know where is the most appropriate place to post this, as it does not refer to Egypt.

Two months ago I had reason to use the services of the British Consulur representative (not an Embassy, but an outstation) in Crete. I received excellent service, both over the telephone and over the counter when i visited them in Irakleon. My issue was a stolen passport, and i obtained an emergency travel document in good time to return to the UK.

Some people have been criticising the British representatives in Egypt, so I just wanted to show that the problem is not universal.

As for my Insurance claim, I am still waiting ...

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Consular services

Post by WIZARD »

Brian Yare wrote:Some people have been criticizing the British representatives in Egypt, so I just wanted to show that the problem is not universal.
I'm so pleased you were given excellent service by the Consular representative in Crete Brian.

My experience from the British Embassy in Cairo was that of a Consul from Hell. I hope none of you are ever put through the humiliating, degrading and disgusting experience I was put through. The Consul was one of the most unsympathetic, unhelpful and uncaring women I have ever had the misfortune to come up against, She had be begging for my life, pleading for help and screaming for urgent assistance whilst constantly repeating in her granite like voice."The bottom line is, we can't help you" People like her should never be allowed to work with members of the public. My life was in danger and she couldn't have given a toss. If I'd treated a member of the public in the same way that she had treated me, I would have been stricken from my professional register in no time.
WIZARD
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I only hope you got her name, you may need this in the future.
Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

Wiz, did you get her name? Having dealt with the Consular section several times over the years for a number of issues, I've found them to be extremely helpful. Having said that, my experience with the reception staff is rather different; one of them has an attitude that makes my jaw drop to the floor - she's Egyptian and but would make you think Britain was under her rule!

Anyhow, try to go as far up the chain at the Embassy as possible, to James Watt if necessary. Whilst they can't help with an Egyptian legal matter, they are obliged to help should you require repatriation to the UK; you can't just be left high and dry.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Unfortunately Countessa, repatriation seems to be the last thing that Wiz wants. If my understanding is correct, what he wants is to be legally entitled to stay where he is. Personally I would be inclined to stay put at all costs, even if it means staying illegally. He can prove that he is not fit to travel on health grounds which will probably give him some leverage, and perhaps buy him some more time to try to get the decision reversed. Whilst not wanting to sound too negative, I would be concerned that if he leaves he might have difficulty getting back into Egypt, at least on anything other than a short stay tourist visa. The risk of course, is that he will be deported, which may stand him in worse stead for the future. Of course, at the end of the day (or the fortnight in this instance) that's a decision that only Wiz himself can make. Lets hope that it's all sorted out in time and he doesn't have to.
Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

TT, I think you are spot on with your assumption that Wiz wants to stay here, and I sincerely hope this situation is resolved to enable him to do so. I was only pointing out that should the worst come to the absolute worst then the Embassy are obliged to offer help, they cannot just turn a blind eye.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
Subversion

Post by Subversion »

It is the case that the Consul cannot intervene in a decision to revoke a visa or deport an individual - and in fairness they make that point on their website.

However - where this process presents a risk to the health of a British National they should be on hand to provide support and advice as to ensure any attempt to repatriate is done with due regard for the health and wellbeing of the British National.

Surely they have the discretion to tailor support in unique circumstances?

Whilst I am not privy to the exact conversations - it seems they have been very keen to point out what they can't do - but have not extended that advice to ways that they can perhaps be helpful.

In volatile climates where there is a general risk to the wellbeing of British Nationals, we should be able to rely on strong and capable consular support.

This incident - aside from any action by the Egyptian authorities - has I suspect seriously dented the confidence of ex-pats and travellers in the ability of the British consulate to provide this.

What are they going to do if there is a real emergency?....

When this situation pans out - and if the consultate refuses to provide any level of support - then I would think a petition of "no confidence" led by the ex-pat community is a good way forward.

However unjust this decision, I accept that the Egyptian authorities have a fundamental right to make it.

But the British Consultate has a fundamental obligation to protect the interests and well being of its nationals and it appears they are failing miserably!

Sx
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I required the services of the British consular and found them to be very good, prompt and obliging, but i think it may also depend on what you are corresponding with them about>