Egypt prosecutes Coptic christians

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Aromagician
New Zealand

Egypt prosecutes Coptic christians

Post by Aromagician »

Egypts general prosecutor has issued arrest warrants for seven egyptian coptic christians and florida based American pastor Terry Jones and referred them to trial on charges linked to the anti-islam film that has sparked riots across the Muslim world. The case is largely symbolic since the seven men and one woman are beleived to be outside of Egypt and unlikely to return.

Is this something that would have happened before the new regime? Or is it a symbolic action of the way Egypt views such things now?

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. ROY M GOODMAN
TonyC

Re: Egypt prosecutes Coptic christians

Post by TonyC »

It's symbolic! It's a move to help calm things down over "that film". I can't really see Egypt winning an extradition battle with the US, or even persuading that nation to indulge in a bit of reciprocal "extraordinary rendition". Mr Nakoula and Pastor Jones might be stopped at passport control on their next holiday here, though
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

I see the French satirical magazine "Charlie Hebdo" has published a series of Mohammad cartoons today.

Steve :o
Aromagician
New Zealand

Post by Aromagician »

yes also the french are withdrawing all their embassy staff as they are worried about their safety.
Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. ROY M GOODMAN
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I've got three friends stranded in Cairo due to the unrest concerning the film, one needed the British Embassy, the other needs documents stamped by the American Embassy. Both remain closed but they say that they can send the documents to them in Luxor by DHF. The only problem is when they went to book the train tickets back to Luxor on Tuesday they were told that no foreigner was being aloud to travel on the trains until Sunday night. Why? Thought the place was safe to travel but apparently not. A two day stay has turned into a very expensive 16 days for them.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

When did the British Embassy close? I saw posts from them that people may have to use another entrance than the normal one (close to US Embassy?), but I'm sure I've not seen updates saying they had closed.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The British Embassy closed its doors for a shorter time than the American one, but not certain for how long. According to my friends stuck there till Sunday night it seems to be a day by day decision, so presumably they could not give an accurate opening time. The last time, I think, that they contacted any of them was Tuesday by phone to be told that their documents would be delivered to them in Luxor. Its the sudden refusal of no Europeans on trains that is of more concern to them now.