'We won't allow revolution to be stolen again': Brotherhood

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

'We won't allow revolution to be stolen again': Brotherhood

Post by DJKeefy »

'We won't allow revolution to be stolen again': Brotherhood second-in-command

Khairat El-Shater warns of attempts to overthrow President Mohamed Morsi instigated 'remnants of the Mubarak regime'.

The Muslim Brotherhood's deputy guide Khairat El-Shater accused foreign and local parties today of aiming to overthrow the regime led by President Mohamed Morsi by bringing chaos to the country.

"We will not allow the revolution to be stolen again," El-Shater said during a press conference held for the Coalition of Islamic Forces.

El-Shater added that the battle for Islamists is not their headquarters (referring to recent attacks on many Brotherhood offices across the country, including in Cairo), "but rather a battle for protecting legitimacy."

"It's enough that one of the figures that is talking about saving Egypt said in an interview with an American newspaper that the opposition will unite with the remnants of Mubarak's regime," said El-Shater, referring to head of the Constitution Party and leading member of the National Salvation Front Mohamed ElBaradei.

El-Shater further accused remnants of Mubarak's regime of mobilising for chaos in the country, adding that the president has chosen to avoid direct conflict with them out of concern for stability in the country.

"There are those who want to spoil the democratic experience in Egypt," added El-Shater, arguing that ongoing protests by the opposition have not exceeded 30,000 protesters while there were a million protesters in the "Legitmacy and Sharia" protest organised by Islamists, he claimed.

He further denounced the media, accusing it of not representing the truth.

"The media during the time of Mubarak was working against the Islamists, and still when people got the chance they voted for us," added El-Shater.

During the press conference, El-Shater argued that current political instability is hindering any hope of investment or development in Egypt.

"In the past four months I have met with thousands of investors who are genuine about wanting to invest in Egypt. However, I can not advise them to put their money in at a time of instability," said El-Shater.

The press conference also featured a number of Salafist figures who asserted that their demand for implementing Sharia is non-negotiable, accusing the opposition — namely ElBaradei — of agitating against Sharia in Egypt.

"The hostility against Islam is clear, but a constitution that does not represent our Sharia is unacceptable," said Saeed Abdel-Azim, a leading member of the Salafist Calling, who added that the group is willing to offer more martyrs to protect legitimacy.

The Coalition of Islamist Forces comprises 10 parties and groups affiliated with political Islam, including the Muslim Brotherhood and its political wing, the Freedom and Justice Party, Al-Gamaa Al-Islamyia and the Salafist Calling.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/60076.aspx

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: 'We won't allow revolution to be stolen again': Brotherh

Post by Hafiz »

Well I'm sure that Shater is right about investment (and tourism although he didn't mention it). Further damage to the economy will not help Morsi.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that El Barradi never batted an eyelid at Mubarak's dictatorship but seems to have gone all liberal in the last year or so and, strangely, people seem to have forgotten his past, his official position in the late Regime, his very late arrival in the country after the revolution and his reluctance to stand for public office.

Weirdly, Shater the successful businessman, says that " I can not advise them to put their money in at a time of instability," Sounds like talking the economy down - not a smart move.