Trial of Egypt's Morsi set for 4 November

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Trial of Egypt's Morsi set for 4 November

Post by DJKeefy »

The trial of former Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi will begin on 4 November, judicial sources said on Wednesday.

Morsi, seven other senior leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist figures will be tried for the killing and torturing of demonstrators outside the presidential palace in Cairo on 5 December 2012.

At least ten were killed in clashes when thousands took to the streets in protest at a constitutional decree that granted Morsi sweeping new powers.

Senior Brotherhood figure Mohamed El-Beltagi and Essam El-Erian, deputy head of the Freedom and Justice Party, the Brotherhood's political arm, are among the co-defendants in the trial.

Morsi, who also faces charges related to his escape from prison during the 2011 revolution, has been held at a secret location since his ouster by the army on 3 July following millions-strong protests against his rule.

In July, a court ordered Morsi's detention for questioning over his alleged collusion with Palestinian militants in prison breaks and attacks on police during the revolution.

Security forces have mounted a broad crackdown on Morsi's Brotherhood since his deposition. It has arrested most of the movement's upper echelon, including its highest authority, Supreme Guide Mohamed Badie. More than 2,000 other Islamists have been rounded up over the past two months.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/83584.aspx

pdmlynek

Re: Trial of Egypt's Morsi set for 4 November

Post by pdmlynek »

OK, stay away from Cairo around 4 November 2013 -- check.

Just out of curiosity: does 4 November 2013 actually mean 4 November 2013, or does it mean "Monday-ish, 4 to 8 weeks from now"?
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It means November 4 and then there will be a few procedures done and the trial will be adjourned to a month later. This is how all court cases generally work in Egypt.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Egypt is currently under emergency/martial law with the 'normal' courts suspended. Therefore, it will be interesting to follow up on whether Morsi and the others are brought before military or civilian courts. Given some/all of the alleged crimes were not committed under emergency rule the accused would have a good case for trial before civilian courts.

Al Ahram is up to its old tricks when it states that the accused are to be tried for "the killing and torturing of demonstrators". Unless Morsi was out on the square that day with a gun and a cattle prod the charge is surely conspiracy or something similar. If, however, the crime is murder or torture the prosecutor will need lots evidence linking an order to kill/torture down to the commission of the act. If they can get this evidence it will 'naturally' lead to dozens of charges against those who killed under orders. Both those who directed it as well as those who carried it out (including senior police who passed on the 'order') should be treated the same. Watch this space!

A conviction for these 10 'murders' will surely lead the prosecution to look into the hundreds of killings in the past 2 1/2 years particularly those in the past few months and those by the security forces on Copts in one of the major streets leading off Tahir. For god's sake it was filmed in gory detail and evidence is abundant. The driver of the armed vehicle who drove over peaceful protestors should be easy, even for the police, to find.

The general picture, which al Ahram fails to report, is that no convictions have been handed down for murder or manslaughter by the security services in the past few years. The exception is 7 years for Saeed's killing. Wonder if they are out.

Most of al Ahram's reports about the Brotherhood use language which they would never use about identical allegations about Mubarak. One man's murder is another man's suppression of disorder.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Cairo Courts must be spot on then Glyph, you cannot get Judges to Luxor, I had a case going on and on 4 occassions the judges did not turn up, must have had a late night or playing golf, or just thought sod it, its another Europeans Case coming up.

So for me they can have a Court Case whenever they want and about whoever they want, the legal system in Egypt will never command my respect, if it was not for the legal system I would be 35,000 Stirling better off and the Old Pro who stung me would be behind bars, instead she fled Luxor back to Holland, where you can bet she is still bragging about it to her illegitimate children and maybe starting to con the people of her own nation.

Oh. by the way Lucienne if you ever read this on the forum, don't deny it will you, because you are well known in Luxor now has a big liar, along with your daughter.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Probably been more better off if you had exercised more common sense in the first place. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.