Converting to Islam

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Converting to Islam

Post by Scottishtourist »

From reading the forum,it appears that some wives/ex-pats,etc in Luxor are Muslim/Muslima (think that's the term Mad Dilys used)
If you have converted to Islam since moving to Luxor,then what were your reasons for doing so?
Did you follow another religion before you converted and were disillusioned with it?
Did it make living in a predominantly Muslim country easier?
Was it for personal reasons i.e.you were marrying a Muslim man/woman?
Did you convert willingly or feel pressurised to do it?
Did the issue of having children have any bearing on your decision?

My mum was Scottish Protestant,my dad was Lithuanian Catholic.She took religious instruction prior to marriage and converted to Catholicism.They were married in 1950,when attitudes were different to nowadays.She had no qualms in doing so,we were all brought up and baptised in the Catholic faith..it was the easiest way...and she loved my dad.So converting wasn't really that big an issue for her.
However...at the time there were a few prejudices from certain family members.

What's your experiences and your reasons for converting to/embracing Islam?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Converting to Islam

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I consider asking such questions to be prying into others' business when you have no business doing so. They way you formulated it is also presuming some really offensive things. That's just my personal feeling on it.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

GD,I don't consider it a "prying"question,merely an interesting topic for discussion!
No-one is under any pressure to reply.
When people on forum condone MY religion and question MY beliefs...why can't I do the same and put the topic up for discussion?
There's no hidden agenda with me.
I was merely trying to introduce new topic for discussion away from the usual bitching about commitees,minutes,and problems with Luxor.
But...if it can't be open,honest discussion...then best it's locked!
I always find it very refreshing on here re the subjects people comment on...and the ones they don't!
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I don't question anyone else's beliefs, including yours. If you said you are Catholic or you are Protestant or anything else, I assume you are what you say you are and would never question your sincerity or your reasons for believing what you believe. If others have done otherwise, that's unfair in my opinion.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

More wars are fought over religion than any other subject. That's why I never get involved.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My guess and assumption would be that most of the visiting Orfi wives are not really bothered one way or another by their Gigalo husband to convert. Religion in their relationship isn't the focus.

The more serious relationships would be up to individual and personal choice. I don't think there is any law that says a Muslim man can't marry a Christian woman but (and I don't know exactly why sufficient to elaborate correctly - specific law? social prohibition?) Muslim women cannot marry other than a Muslim man.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

What an extraordinary response from GD to what I consider
a genuinely interesting set of questions. I've known several men and
women who have converted while living here in Egypt and their
reasons have been various - and almost always fascinating.

I wonder whether you've touched a raw nerve, ST .....
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Raw nerve, no? It's a matter of respecting others and self-respect.

There's a number of Islamic sayings that if a Muslim accuses another Muslim of being a non-Muslim, then one of them is an apostate. This is a very dangerous thing. It's not our business as Muslims to suggest that they just did it for their husbands or ease of living in Egypt. If they say they are Muslim, they are Muslim.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have to concur that if you follow the Five Pillars of Faith and make the proclamation of being Muslim then you are Muslim.

I do believe to convert to Catholicism you have to take classes, practice and then have a formal ceremony to complete the conversion? Doesn't seem to be a simple thing to become Catholic. Yes? (Am asking re: Catholicism as I don't know)
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I consider asking such questions to be prying into others' business when you have no business doing so. They way you formulated it is also presuming some really offensive things. That's just my personal feeling on it.

You don't have to answer the questions if you don't want to. Personally I can't see anything offensive in the way they were phrased. I've often wondered the same things myself, and on occasion asked people and they have been happy to answer.

I can't respond myself ST as the situation doesn't apply to me and it's an option I would never personally consider. Interesting subject though.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

GD: 'It's a matter of respecting others'

Well, I don't think your rather school-ma'amish response to ST
showed that much respect .... neither in tone nor content,
but, as you say, those are just your personal feelings.
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

As I have offered before, GD's tone (?) in her posts always come across as cold and sometimes condescending. I have no doubt that as a citizen of Egypt and obviously a very wise and educated woman with a wealth of information about things pertaining to life, education, customs, etc in Egypt. I look forward to her replies on on topics as they are always a good and valuable source of information.
But it is a shame that her penmanship always seems to leave a slightly uncomfortable acidic taste.
As mentioned if people wish to discuss their religion, that is up to them, and some people will find their replies an insight into other theological beliefs and credos interesting.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The original question was basically, do you believe in Islam or are you just faking it for the sake of appearances, convenience and/or pressure from your husband? If it had been a simple what about Islam attracted you to become Muslim, it would have come across a lot differently but there was built into the question the suggestion that some people here who have said they are Muslim may actually be liars.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

LovelyLadyLux wrote: I do believe to convert to Catholicism you have to take classes, practice and then have a formal ceremony to complete the conversion? Doesn't seem to be a simple thing to become Catholic. Yes? (Am asking re: Catholicism as I don't know)
Yes,LLL.
There is a period of usually weekly instruction,classes and attendance at Mass.
This all culminates in Baptism (usually on Holy Thursday)in front of the congregation.This enables the newly converted member to partake in the Sacrament(take Communion) on Easter Sunday,and celebrate the Feast.
In my opinion,the whole process indicates even more committment than simply being "born"into the faith.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Soooo (and not trying to be argumentative) but do you think that people who convert are more ardent than those born into something? Should it have to take that much work to belong?

And, conversely, what can you say about somebody who gives up something they've been born into, has an entire family committed to and then just walks and abandons it?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Scottishtourist wrote:
LovelyLadyLux wrote: I do believe to convert to Catholicism you have to take classes, practice and then have a formal ceremony to complete the conversion? Doesn't seem to be a simple thing to become Catholic. Yes? (Am asking re: Catholicism as I don't know)
Yes,LLL.
There is a period of usually weekly instruction,classes and attendance at Mass.
This all culminates in Baptism (usually on Holy Thursday)in front of the congregation.This enables the newly converted member to partake in the Sacrament(take Communion) on Easter Sunday,and celebrate the Feast.
In my opinion,the whole process indicates even more committment than simply being "born"into the faith.

If all you write here above Scottishtourist is part of YOUR faith, I wonder here whether you would like to comment at the appropriate place regarding my comment, written today with reference to Jesus in another section of this forum, which you do have access to, or do you regard such matters as 'an article of faith', and therefore offer no comment,..........please here, remember your Catholic faith.
Last edited by A-Four on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

So are you saying if you are a Catholic convert then you are more committed to Catholicism than someone born with Catholic parents and if you are a Muslim convert you must be faking it?

As far as I am concerned, a Catholic is a Catholic and a Muslim is a Muslim, doesn't matter how they reached their current state, they are what they are. And in the end, who cares what you think? Isn't it God's judgment that matters?
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

What is the current conversion rate? If I have a pocket full of Catholics, how many Moslems will I get for them? And what is the commission? Ditto, Jews, Anglicans ... . Is there a stock exchange that deals in these?
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Maakari wrote:As I have offered before, GD's tone (?) in her posts always come across as cold and sometimes condescending. I have no doubt that as a citizen of Egypt and obviously a very wise and educated woman with a wealth of information about things pertaining to life, education, customs, etc in Egypt. I look forward to her replies on on topics as they are always a good and valuable source of information.
But it is a shame that her penmanship always seems to leave a slightly uncomfortable acidic taste.
As mentioned if people wish to discuss their religion, that is up to them, and some people will find their replies an insight into other theological beliefs and credos interesting.

So, Glyphdoctor is considered, by some, to be educated and knowledgeable about Egypt. Do these attributes excuse her being hyper-critical, judgemental and sometimes downright rude? Personally I don't think they do. But that's just my 'personal feeling on it'. ;)

And of course some of the European Muslimas in Egypt have converted to Islam primarily because they are married to Muslim men. For some it is a matter of convenience, rather than true belief. To deny this fact is, in my opinion, extremely naive. And to criticise others for referring to it could be seen as intolerant. We are still allowed some freedom of speech, surely? :(
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Glyphdoctor wrote:As far as I am concerned, a Catholic is a Catholic and a Muslim is a Muslim, doesn't matter how they reached their current state, they are what they are. And in the end, who cares what you think? Isn't it God's judgment that matters?
Enlighten me then GD.
Are you a "born"Muslim?Is it faith you were "born"in to?
Or are you a convert for whatever personal reasons?
I personally don't care how you reached whatever status you attain to.
But,please don't ever assume that your thinking is correct way.
As far as I'm concerned,NO ONE has answered my question.
It was a serious question,a topic worthy of discussion...but once again...the sound of silence shone through!
That really surprises me...cos my Muslim friends and family in Luxor will talk about Islam for hours on end!