Boko Haram 'joins Islamic State'

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Boko Haram 'joins Islamic State'

Post by Brian Yare »

Bad news!
---

Breaking news

Nigerian militant group Boko Haram has pledged allegiance to Islamic State (IS), according to an audio statement.

The message, which could not immediately be verified, was posted on Boko Haram's Twitter account and appeared to be by the group's leader.

Boko Haram began a military campaign to impose Islamic rule in northern Nigeria in 2009. The conflict has since spread to neighbouring states.

It would be the latest in a series of groups to swear allegiance to IS.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Boko Haram 'joins Islamic State'

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Saw a brief blurb about it on MSN but nothing much else. It isn't good news if they have.
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Saw a brief blurb about it on MSN but nothing much else. It isn't good news if they have.
I'm not sure it will make much difference LLL. BH will continue on their murderous way. More than 50 people were killed in four bomb attacks in Maiduguri yesterday. The Nigerian government has requested international help to combat the group according to the BBC.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I can see happening that the more groups that join ISIS the more strength & legitimacy in the region it gives them in the eyes of the people they're subjugating. It would then allow more resources to be obtained 'for the cause' (whatever that really is for them) too however lets keep our fingers crossed that power corrupts in this case and they all start fighting each other from within for top dog position.
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I can see happening that the more groups that join ISIS the more strength & legitimacy in the region it gives them in the eyes of the people they're subjugating. It would then allow more resources to be obtained 'for the cause' (whatever that really is for them) too however lets keep our fingers crossed that power corrupts in this case and they all start fighting each other from within for top dog position.
I find it appalling that groups of violent thugs like IS or BH should have any legitimacy among Sunni Arab Muslims but it would seem that as long they're murdering and enslaving Shia, Christian, Yazidi and Kurds they're not overly concerned.
Prior to the burning alive of the Jordanian pilot last month there were demonstrations in Jordan against that country's partipation in the campaign against their fellow Sunni Muslims in IS. Some people were out on the streets demonstrating in favour of the group. Astonishing and depressing.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The mantra of all the Media News here seems to be to call ISIS - "Islamic terrorists" and the present US Administration will not recognize ISIS as such which is throwing lots of energy into deciding just what to call these thugs. I wish they'd get over dickering about a name and just call them generic terrorists and get on with a plan + policy to stop them.

Right now or, at least, this week ISIS seems not to have made any headlines with any new horrendous acts however I still think the worst is yet to come.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:The mantra of all the Media News here seems to be to call ISIS - "Islamic terrorists" and the present US Administration will not recognize ISIS as such which is throwing lots of energy into deciding just what to call these thugs. I wish they'd get over dickering about a name and just call them generic terrorists and get on with a plan + policy to stop them.
A friend suggested the name:

IS international Satan
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

IS international Satan
Good one and, am sure, exactly applicable.