David Cameron

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

David Cameron

Post by carrie »

He has announced his resignation, what will his legacy be? Will he go down as a great PM, who led the first coalition government for many years, gave the British people the right to chose their futures in Europe.
Or a man who has led the country to economic disaster, so afraid of his own back bench that he gave in to his own ambitions before the good of his country that he professes to love so much?

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: David Cameron

Post by Horus »

Like many before him, he started out with good intentions then fell by the wayside, Tony Blair was another example.
But probably had Cameron had a better finger on the nations pulse he would have gotten that danger over to the EU and come back with a better deal that could well have averted this result, his failure was being too soft in his negotiations, probably because like Blair he had his eyes fixed on his next cushy job.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Arthur Neville Chamberlain: September 1938: Munich
Robert Anthony Eden: October 1956: Suez
David William Donald Cameron: June 23rd 2016: Europe
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Like many before him, he started out with good intentions then fell by the wayside, Tony Blair was another example.
But probably had Cameron had a better finger on the nations pulse he would have gotten that danger over to the EU and come back with a better deal that could well have averted this result, his failure was being too soft in his negotiations, probably because like Blair he had his eyes fixed on his next cushy job.
Not sure whether to take this as 'tongue-in-cheek' or cynicism beyond even my level :lol:

If by "the nation's pulse" you mean the wish of 17 million (out of 40 million) to leave the EU...then his renegotiation task was doomed from the outset because the Brexiters required two changes that are core to the EU project, and which are immutable. Free movement of labour and closer supra-national ties. Germany & France were never going to give much on these points....it was surprising he got as much as he did. His failure to get "a better deal" was not because he was "too soft" but because such a deal was never possible.

I'm not sure which "next cushy job" you're alluding to. Presumably not one in the EU Commission . It would be illogical to be soft in the negotiations, knowing that this would increase the chances of Britain leaving.....and thus any future post for him in the EU disappearing !

Like Blair, I expect Cameron to pop up somewhere on the world stage. Although it's fashionable to stick the knife in politicians who've come a cropper ....(schadenfreude?)....Cameron's political experience, (and he's reasonably bright academically-speaking), will before long see him in a new position . Probably one with a salary dwarfing his take as PM!

I would have thought, as a Brexiter, you would have applauded his "failure". You certainly shouldn't mention him in the same breath as Blair whose blatant shenanigans over Iraq cost lives :stp

You just can't please some people :a80:
Spoiler
There's a well-paid job in English football going. Maybe Cameron can have that. He can hardly do worse than than Hodgson :wi
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

I'm surprised the above list of 'failed' Prime Ministers didn't include Lord North
- Loss of American colonies 1783.

I was struck yesterday as I was watching an extended PMQ by the extent of the respect for
David Cameron from all sides of the House.
(Plus the fact that Johnson and Gove didn't show up!)

I think history will be kinder to him than suggested above.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

will before long see him in a new position . Probably one with a salary dwarfing his take as PM!
:lol: :lol:
Probably taking one of the 10,000 jobs in the EU that pay more than his current one :up