Egypt court orders month-long YouTube ban over Prophet video

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt court orders month-long YouTube ban over Prophet video

Post by DJKeefy »

Top Egypt court orders month-long YouTube ban over Prophet video.

Egypt's top administrative court has ordered authorities to block the video-sharing website YouTube for a month for hosting a short film that denigrated the Prophet Muhammad.

The ruling on Saturday ended a years-long appeals process over the 2012 film, Innocence of Muslims, which depicts the prophet in a negative light.

Mohamed Hamid Salem, a lawyer who filed the case in 2013, told the Reuters news agency the court's decision also ordered all links that broadcast the film be blocked.

A lower administrative court had ordered YouTube be blocked in 2013 over the video, but Egypt's National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority appealed and it remained available during the appeal process.

Innocence of Muslims, a low-budget 13-minute video, was billed as a film trailer and made in California with private funding.

phpBB [video]

It provoked a wave of anti-American unrest that turned deadly in Egypt and other Muslim countries when it appeared in 2012.

Washington sought to keep a lid on the demonstrations by saying the controversial film was made privately with no official backing.

US officials said freedom of speech laws prevented them from stopping the production of inflammatory material.

The top administrative court's ruling is considered final and cannot be appealed.

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/05/ ... 56283.html

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Egypt court orders month-long YouTube ban over Prophet v

Post by newcastle »

I'll believe it when I see it.

A similar ruling was issued in 2013 to ban YouTube; however, it wasn’t implemented citing technical difficulties. At the time, Google stated that the Egyptian government can delete the content that it believes to be inappropriate without having to ban the website altogether.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Egypt court orders month-long YouTube ban over Prophet v

Post by Major Thom »

I have not seen the video and cannot be bothered to watch, but can understand because of the lack of human rights and other laws regarding freedom of speech that have been implemented in the Country. You have to remember no Country will grow without these two laws being stripped away. Why does religion have to rule a Country? surely its up to the people to make their minds up when they read or view these things. Or are they admitting that poor education standards prevent people making their minds up!