How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Discuss the problems that can occur in relationships with differing cultures and help overcome any barriers that exist.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

User avatar
steve
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:54 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by steve » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:39 am

I hear all the time about English women getting married to Egyptian men, never have I seen any posts about English men getting married to a Christian Egyptian woman in Egypt :!:


I'm told some people put manure on their rhubarb. I prefer custard!

User avatar
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 8473
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:09 pm
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 167 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by jewel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:07 am

Is this a common occurrence then? :tk
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Image

User avatar
steve
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:54 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by steve » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:37 pm

jewel wrote:Is this a common occurrence then? :tk
I don't know. Wondering if anyone had any info on the subject. :ni:
I'm told some people put manure on their rhubarb. I prefer custard!

User avatar
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 8473
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:09 pm
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 167 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by jewel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Is there something you'd like to share Steve? X ;)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Image

User avatar
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 am
Location: luxor
Has thanked: 2778 times
Been thanked: 5362 times
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by carrie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Most important don't forget your ear plugs.
Congratulations hope all goes well.

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by Dusak » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:03 pm

steve wrote:I hear all the time about English women getting married to Egyptian men, never have I seen any posts about English men getting married to a Christian Egyptian woman in Egypt :!:
I have an English man friend here that married his Christian wife about ten years ago. Still happily wed, but her two daughters were never allowed to leave the country on holiday until they reached the age of eighteen, which they both are now. Apart from that no problems whatsoever. He is a lot older than her. Another English man married a friend of my Egyptian friend, took him for every penny he had [sounds familiar] she was twenty one, he, now dead, was eighty. Another one here is married to an Egyptian ''girl''. So it happens both sides of the fence, but the motivation one way or the other are basically the same.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 am
Has thanked: 985 times
Been thanked: 2256 times
Canada

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:11 am

In Egypt does the family not have the obligation to strike the best deal possible, get the best Contract possible for their daughter re: marriage?

User avatar
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Leicester
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 1749 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by Zooropa » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:16 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:In Egypt does the family not have the obligation to strike the best deal possible, get the best Contract possible for their daughter re: marriage?

It all adds to the romance!

User avatar
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 901 times
Been thanked: 1322 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:10 pm

I've related this tale before.
I once met elderly (English) man in El Luxor hotel.
He informed me that he had been engaged twice to young Egyptian girls.He'd lavished them with jewellery,gifts,and had provided much in the way of material benefits for them and their families.
The crunch came when he tried to set a wedding date.Their fathers then objected!!!
Strangely enough, he didn't seem at all bitter about it.
Seemed to accept it as fate.
I was friendly with someone who worked in hotel,and was shocked to hear a conversation between this employee and a young Egyptian girl.He was literally "procuring and coercing" her to go out on "lunch date"with this gentleman.
I figured it was none of my business and went for lunch to restaurant in Karnak.Who was sitting there at next table?
The gentleman and the Egyptian girl!
Left restaurant after lunch with bad taste in my mouth...and I didn't attribute it to the food I'd eaten!

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by Dusak » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:I've related this tale before.
I once met elderly (English) man in El Luxor hotel.
He informed me that he had been engaged twice to young Egyptian girls.He'd lavished them with jewellery,gifts,and had provided much in the way of material benefits for them and their families.
The crunch came when he tried to set a wedding date.Their fathers then objected!!!
Strangely enough, he didn't seem at all bitter about it.
Seemed to accept it as fate.
I was friendly with someone who worked in hotel,and was shocked to hear a conversation between this employee and a young Egyptian girl.He was literally "procuring and coercing" her to go out on "lunch date"with this gentleman.
I figured it was none of my business and went for lunch to restaurant in Karnak.Who was sitting there at next table?
The gentleman and the Egyptian girl!
Left restaurant after lunch with bad taste in my mouth...and I didn't attribute it to the food I'd eaten!
Why would it leave a bitter taste in your mouth? They were both consenting adults, not blind to the possibilities of such a pairing up. If this ''old man'' wanted a bit of company with a younger girl, or would of liked sex, its up to them, as they say, prostitution is the oldest game known. I would like to bet if a 25 year old hunk approached you and for reasons defying logic wanted sex with you at no cost, just a one off as he saw something in you that he found attractive and you were at a loose end and unattached, you'd jump, not only at the chance, but on him as well. Its basic human nature, nothing that could be condemned, only from the unlucky ones that hadn't received the offer. Why do so many women choose younger men for husbands over here? Surly they could find partners in their own country as there are thousands knocking about that are alone in the world. Is it because of the stud sex, the staying power, sometimes genuine love and companionship, adventure. Whatever the reasons, its their decision to take the plunge. But the most important thing is if they are happy and content with it all and except the possible future consequences, then go for it. We all need company at some point in our lives, even me that continually states to my friends, give me my books, TV and a full tea caddy I'm content. But I'm glad that I'm lucky enough to have my Egyptian friend around to lesson the degrees of pure boredom that we all experience when single, especially as you get older and can't just nip down the local for an hour to have a chat with your mates.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
dsaxelby
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm
Has thanked: 1353 times
Been thanked: 491 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by dsaxelby » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Dusak wrote:
Scottishtourist wrote:I've related this tale before.
I once met elderly (English) man in El Luxor hotel.
He informed me that he had been engaged twice to young Egyptian girls.He'd lavished them with jewellery,gifts,and had provided much in the way of material benefits for them and their families.
The crunch came when he tried to set a wedding date.Their fathers then objected!!!
Strangely enough, he didn't seem at all bitter about it.
Seemed to accept it as fate.
I was friendly with someone who worked in hotel,and was shocked to hear a conversation between this employee and a young Egyptian girl.He was literally "procuring and coercing" her to go out on "lunch date"with this gentleman.
I figured it was none of my business and went for lunch to restaurant in Karnak.Who was sitting there at next table?
The gentleman and the Egyptian girl!
Left restaurant after lunch with bad taste in my mouth...and I didn't attribute it to the food I'd eaten!
Why would it leave a bitter taste in your mouth? They were both consenting adults, not blind to the possibilities of such a pairing up. If this ''old man'' wanted a bit of company with a younger girl, or would of liked sex, its up to them, as they say, prostitution is the oldest game known. I would like to bet if a 25 year old hunk approached you and for reasons defying logic wanted sex with you at no cost, just a one off as he saw something in you that he found attractive and you were at a loose end and unattached, you'd jump, not only at the chance, but on him as well. Its basic human nature, nothing that could be condemned, only from the unlucky ones that hadn't received the offer. Why do so many women choose younger men for husbands over here? Surly they could find partners in their own country as there are thousands knocking about that are alone in the world. Is it because of the stud sex, the staying power, sometimes genuine love and companionship, adventure. Whatever the reasons, its their decision to take the plunge. But the most important thing is if they are happy and content with it all and except the possible future consequences, then go for it. We all need company at some point in our lives, even me that continually states to my friends, give me my books, TV and a full tea caddy I'm content. But I'm glad that I'm lucky enough to have my Egyptian friend around to lesson the degrees of pure boredom that we all experience when single, especially as you get older and can't just nip down the local for an hour to have a chat with your mates.
I wonder if the women would feel differently if they had sons of their own? Or does the colour make a difference? i.e not associated with a young white man? Perhaps the attention/feeling it brings is more important than the act itself in reality?
It is what it is.

User avatar
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 901 times
Been thanked: 1322 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Lol Dusak!!!
A 25 year old defying logic and wanting sex with me???
Oh God,perish the thought that he could just want me for my personality!!!
I find my daughters great levellers and their back-handed compliments are unique.
They once extolled the virtues of internet dating to me.
Said "Go for it mum.
Never mind going to Egypt.....there's hundreds of desperate men here!!!"
Priceless!!!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 am
Has thanked: 985 times
Been thanked: 2256 times
Canada

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:28 pm

IMO I think that young women find older men attractive for different reasons than a young man finds an older woman attractive and, to clarify I'm not using the word attractive to relate to physical attractiveness.

IMO I think young women are more drawn to father figures who are providing them with security, maturity, status already acquired by the man in the work place and all the gifts and baubbles an old coot can offer.

I think that young men are attracted to older women for what they can economically provide him period.

In both situation there is give and take, mutual liking, fun but if the REAL reasons were ferreted out I think the young females would genuinely have more emotional reasons of attachment than a young man. AND these I'm basing on our culture.

I think if we're talking Egypt the young man's marriage is motivated by whatever he can bilk out of his target in like 99% of the cases. If it is a young Egyptian woman and she is Muslim then she cannot marry any other than a Muslim. If her marriage is contracted to an older man either the family has a misguided sense that they're arranging a good marriage OR they're selling her for the economic benefits provided to the whole.

User avatar
dsaxelby
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm
Has thanked: 1353 times
Been thanked: 491 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by dsaxelby » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:40 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:IMO I think that young women find older men attractive for different reasons than a young man finds an older woman attractive and, to clarify I'm not using the word attractive to relate to physical attractiveness.

IMO I think young women are more drawn to father figures who are providing them with security, maturity, status already acquired by the man in the work place and all the gifts and baubbles an old coot can offer.

I think that young men are attracted to older women for what they can economically provide him period.

In both situation there is give and take, mutual liking, fun but if the REAL reasons were ferreted out I think the young females would genuinely have more emotional reasons of attachment than a young man.
Freud would probably disagree, young men in this country chase older women the term being MILF I believe :o When I go out with my daughter it's quite shocking, but I remember as a young lass being chased by the hairy medallion man lol.... all wanting to tell me the meaning of life :sk .

IMO - :tk
It is what it is.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 am
Has thanked: 985 times
Been thanked: 2256 times
Canada

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:41 pm

MILF? Don't know the acronym........or, at least, it is eluding me right now.

User avatar
dsaxelby
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm
Has thanked: 1353 times
Been thanked: 491 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by dsaxelby » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:43 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:MILF? Don't know the acronym........or, at least, it is eluding me right now.
Mother I would like to ...... also commonly used is the term GiLF :o Grandmother ........

As I was informed after meeting my daughters friends whilst leaving my office. Point being it happens all over the world, young men have many fantasies! Wrong or right society is very quick to pass judgment on them.
It is what it is.

User avatar
steve
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:54 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by steve » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:25 pm

jewel wrote:Is there something you'd like to share Steve? X ;)
Nooooooo, I don't think so ;)
I'm told some people put manure on their rhubarb. I prefer custard!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 am
Has thanked: 985 times
Been thanked: 2256 times
Canada

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:59 pm

MILF is Mother I would Like To????? Methinks that derives from Freud who really isn't.........just really isn't - anymore....

Can't see any young male fanaticizing about an old woman relating her to his mother unless he is from Nerd central. IMO.

User avatar
dsaxelby
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm
Has thanked: 1353 times
Been thanked: 491 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by dsaxelby » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:44 am

[quote="LovelyLadyLux"]MILF is Mother I would Like To????? Methinks that derives from Freud who really isn't.........just really isn't - anymore....

Can't see any young male fanaticizing about an old woman relating her to his mother unless he is from Nerd central. IMO.[/qu

Milf does not derive from Freud, :lol: hey we are women trying to understand this, let the men now come with their experience's and opinions :)
It is what it is.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 am
Has thanked: 985 times
Been thanked: 2256 times
Canada

Re: How to marry in Egypt the traditional way

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:56 am

Exactly - the testosterone set now needs to comment........after all - what do I know about what a man thinks :doh: :doh:

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Egypt - Traditional Crafts
    by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:31 pm » in Know Egypt
    2 Replies
    91 Views
    Last post by Winged Isis
    Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:43 am
  • A Traditional Sufi Story
    by Kevininabydos » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:54 am » in Myth, Magic and Spirituality
    4 Replies
    404 Views
    Last post by Bullet Magnet
    Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:11 am
  • So you Wanna Marry an Egyptian Man?
    by HEPZIBAH » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:10 pm » in Women's Talk
    1 Replies
    106 Views
    Last post by LovelyLadyLux
    Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 am
  • A Traditional African Greeting.
    by Quinonostante » Fri May 25, 2007 11:47 pm » in Myth, Magic and Spirituality
    5 Replies
    152 Views
    Last post by Phantom
    Tue May 29, 2007 3:21 pm
  • Egypt's traditional recipes get a makeover
    by DJKeefy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 pm » in Kitchen Corner
    0 Replies
    154 Views
    Last post by DJKeefy
    Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 pm