Orfi

Discuss the problems that can occur in relationships with differing cultures and help overcome any barriers that exist.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess »

Sorry you feel that way Rachel - There are folk on here that are nice, myself included! ;)

Rachel turner

Post by Rachel turner »

iIwas trying to put across a point that every time someone utters the word Orfi!! they are a target on here for insults.. Yes ..i remember i was given some very good advice, it helped me keep one step ahead of conmen out there... but mistakes are made , and we learn by them .....I just wish sometimes the" newbies " are given a little more credit....to be naive is not a crime....
Goddess you are nice;)
Sorry Keefy - i get frustrated sometimes ..
Friends are like stars -you dont always see them but they are always there........
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

No problem Rachel we all get frustrated (even me) :roll:

I do, if i catch them in time, delete negative responses to some posts against new members, the aim of the forum is to help people, a new member asking questions what we might know and have heard a million times most likely does not know the answer else why would they be asking, I hope in future all members will treat NEW members with that in mind even if its just redirecting them to old posts that have been made about the subject.
Rachel turner

Post by Rachel turner »

yes i agree = New members are so oblivious ,, its not in people to think they step into a beautiful country and then hit by all sorts of scams and hidden agendas. I know... we dont open our eyes to it. But if warned and constructive advice given on forums like this maybe, it will make you think ...make you question ..and then give you the strength to fight, if you have support, i feel you have done a good job.. .
Friends are like stars -you dont always see them but they are always there........
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think in some areas when tourists and locals share a common language along with different but similar customs it is much easier to spot a scam however in Egypt it is hard to spot deception and I think many are naively taken in. I've read that so many 'met the entire family kith and kin' plus 'all the friends' and 'acquaintances' all who swore to the heavens on high that this "Mohamed" was a "good guy."

Who, unless you are well acquainted with the scams and have seen them first hand, would figure that "everybody" - the entire village so to speak is conspiring to con and scam?

Now if you 'arrive' with an agenda, whatever that may be and refuse to listen to all common sense from people who know and try and fit a 'lifetime' into 2 weeks once a year - thennnnnnnn I've probably got some good land in the Arizona dessert you'd be interested in. There is a percentage that nobody can save from themself however there is also quite a percentage who do everything slowly and cautiously and continually monitor and assess never believing they're nothing more than a target with an X on your back to be bilked and used.

Go figure how Bernie Madoffs designer of one of the largest ponzi schemes in the world got away with it? He bilked high level investors - business men in the business world with business and economic degrees out of millions. How'd he do it? He had the gall, the personality, the setting along with all accouterments to convince.

AND AND AND - how many of, being polite normal regular people "assume good intent?"

Highly doubt you can blame the victim..............The strength is when you grow stronger from the experience, don't make the same mistake twice and ultimately come out better for the experience.