Anyone applied to take Egpytian Partner to UK recently

Discuss the problems that can occur in relationships with differing cultures and help overcome any barriers that exist.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glory

Anyone applied to take Egpytian Partner to UK recently

Post by Glory »

I would like to STRESS that at the present time my Egyptian partner and I are extremely happy living here in luxor and this is exactly where we wish to stay. However, due to the current situation in the Country and the possible doubts concerning ex-pats, I am looking at the 'worse possible scenario' in that we may have no alterntive other than to return to the UK.

If this is the eventuality, then I am looking to 'Be Prepared' and to this end I am enquiring if there are any other members who have recently made an application to take their partner to the UK. If so, could you give me the exact procedue for making all the necessary arrangments. I have no idea where to go about this basic information, where to make the application, what documents are involved, what are the costs involved and also how long will it take for the application to be processed. So any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Once again I stres that this is the first initial action for us, as we are both completely happy here with no wish whasoever to leave Luxor.

I have sbsolutely no idea of what is entailed in making an application and therefore any information from beginning to end would be more than appreciated.

Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Glory, I'd start with understanding the eligibility criteria which can be found here. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... -families/
How to apply depends on whether you are already married (and whether this is recognised in the UK), are intending to marry in the UK, or want to apply as unmarried partners.

It is possible to do it without a lawyer, although it's far from easy or cheap.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]As well as the UK Immigration Rules, I believe I am correct in saying that, your partner will also have to get some clearance from the Egyptian powers that be - Army completed etc. He should know the right people to contact about this though.

I'm sure it would be of benefit to others if you would be kind enough to post relevent information that you find out...appropriate websites, what hoops have to be jumped through etc.[/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Either you are married or not, this term "partner" is just obfuscation! It is a horrible addition to the English language that gets used way too often these days.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Either you are married or not, this term "partner" is just obfuscation! It is a horrible addition to the English language that gets used way too often these days.
But as you know GD, not all couples, however longterm, can get married or wish to. UK immigration law recognises unmarried partners, fiances, married partners, proposed civil partners and civil partners. The eligibility for unmarried partners requires detailed evidence of cohabitation and co-dependency for a minimum of two years.
HEPZIBAH wrote:As well as the UK Immigration Rules, I believe I am correct in saying that, your partner will also have to get some clearance from the Egyptian powers that be - Army completed etc. He should know the right people to contact about this though.
He will need to be allowed out by the Egyptian border police, but this is not necessary for entry clearance into the UK.
Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy »

Whatever terms others are prepared to, or have to, use is up to them. But I am sick and tired of having my 40 year marriage denigrated, and my wife or I insulted by being referred to as partners!

We are not in business together, neither do we dance.
pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic »

Give this person a break, all they did was ask a perfectly reasonable question! People may be using the term 'partner' for many reasons. The term boyfriend or girlfriend sounds a bit silly when used by someone over the age of about 25 for instance or the person may be in a same sex relationship. We don't know the circumstance therefore it is not for us to judge.
To the OP, I'm afraid I have no practical advice as my husband came to the UK back in 1999 and I imagine times have changed alot since then.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Teddyboy wrote:Whatever terms others are prepared to, or have to, use is up to them. But I am sick and tired of having my 40 year marriage denigrated, and my wife or I insulted by being referred to as partners!

We are not in business together, neither do we dance.
TB, who here has denigrated or insulted your marriage to your wife?
You might, though, spare a thought for people equally as committed to their partners who are not allowed to marry in Egypt or the UK. Are they not also worthy of respect?
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Well, if the original poster is not willing to tell us their marital status clearly, then it is impossible to give any advice either!
Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy »

"Are they not also worthy of respect?"

Of course they are! But the constant 'non-recognition' of the longstanding family base which has been the backbone of many a civilised society, is seen to be denigrating and insulting by old fuddy-duddies like me!
And I won't apologise for it, either!
And what's more: Using the word 'partner' to describe a relationship which is instead of marriage, also confuses the more commonly understood (and used) definition of the word, i.e. the business relationship.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Well, if the original poster is not willing to tell us their marital status clearly, then it is impossible to give any advice either!
Given that you are not familiar with and have expressly said you do not comment on UK immigration rules, what advice were you intending to give? Why do you need to intimidate people by judging their relationships, as you appear to be doing yet again?

It is perfectly possible to advise Glory whilst respecting her choice of the neutral term partner. It is not an invitation to unleash your superiority complex on relationships. She came for advice about the UK immigration rules and process not about her relationship.

All you and TB will do is deter people from seeking such advice, when it may be helpful to them and to others who dare not post at all.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

There is a difference between giving an opinion on UK immigration law and what it should be, as opposed to giving the facts about what the law is. I am sure, Mr. Twist Everyone’s Words, that you know that it was the latter I was talking about, and you may notice I used the term “we” to refer to forum members as a whole, not myself..

And, Mr. Twist Everyone’s Words, I am sure you understand that legally the UK does not recognize an orfi marriage in the same way as it does a marriage performed in the ministry of justice as it would differ on a fiance, nor would it likely recognize a live-in relationship involving an Egyptian as such a relationship would be hard to pull off under Egyptian law.

I have no idea about the original poster’s status so I am not making any comment on that, what I am commenting on is the use of the term “partner” to describe any relationship at all, other than a business relationship. I don’t find it to be an affront to heterosexuality or marriage as TB does, I just find it terribly impractical and evasive.

Some people carry chips on their shoulder, Arthur, but you carry a boulder.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Glory, there's some advice here:
spouse/civilpartner: http://www.lawfirmuk.net/spouse_e.html
unmarried partner: http://www.lawfirmuk.net/unmarriedpartner_e.html
A settlement visa currently costs £810 but this is likley to increase in April.

If you intend to come to the Uk for marriage/civil partnership the stages would be:
Fiance/Proposed Civil Partner visa (gives you six months to marry but partner cannot work) = £810
Further Leave to Remain - once married/civil partnership (for two years with entitlement to work) = £810
Indefinate Leave to remain - after subsisting two year marriage/civil partnership (permanent residency) = £810

All settlement visas use the same VAF4 form, the application can be made online although your partner will also need to go to the Visa Appication Centre (run by Worldbridge) in Cairo to have biometrics done and to submit the written evidence https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/ ... &origin=EG. Your partner will probably also need to attend an interview at the Embassy.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Glyphdoctor wrote:There is a difference between giving an opinion on UK immigration law and what it should be, as opposed to giving the facts about what the law is.
The evidence requirements are the same irrespective of the gender/sexual orientation/marital status of the applicant and uses the same form. The evidence needed will change depending on the status of the relationship, but the rules are consistent regarding proof of elligibility.

The discussion about orfi marriages has been well aired elsewhere. But an orfi marriage could be used as evidence of cohabitation, even if not recognised by UK law. The reality is that entry clearance officers will be far more concerned with the evidence of a subsisting and enduring relationship, the ability of the partners to financially support and accomodate themselves in the UK without recourse to public funds, as well as their intention to permanently live together.

The UK government has set a target to reduce net migration into the UK and they are raising the bar on the evidence needed. So they have already introduced new language and age requirements, and are set to raise the minimum income requirements. For most Egyptians it will be their ability to prove that they can finance a permanent move to the UK which is going to present most problems, rather than the current status of their relationship.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

A-Four wrote:Ouch again. These, I have noticed have started to come through thick and fast these days. There are NO prizes for the person who collects most.

It might be time to send Wizard around to your homes, and beat you with the nasty stick,...........though, I suspect some of you might enjoy that.
Triple ouch!!! :lol:
Glyphdoctor wrote:Some people carry chips on their shoulder, Arthur, but you carry a boulder.
When a torrent sweeps a man against a boulder, you must expect him to scream, and you need not be surprised if the scream is sometimes a theory.
Robert Louis Stevenson

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Release ... 9/02114626
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -2015.html
Watch this space...
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

pinkmagic wrote:Give this person a break, all they did was ask a perfectly reasonable question!
Hear, hear. Can the administrators/moderators leave the question and the two or three replies that actually gave information – and consign the rest of the garbage to the rubbish bin?
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Glory, perhaps if you could just clarify whether you mean partner you are married to, or partner as in same sex relationship so those who have tried or are in the know on such matters can give you the right sites to look at and the right information.
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated
TONY

Post by TONY »

I took my Egyptian sister to the UK last year. I know a holiday trip is not the same as asking for permanent residency, but if you go to UK Border Agency online you will find all the information you need, and the correct forms to fill in and send via the internet. It will also tell you what other information you need to supply.

Be warned it took me 18 months to get approval for her holiday Visa so Im sure a residency will be even longer.

Tony
Karnak
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Tony is right that this isn't a quick process. It is well worth taking your time thinking about, preparing, and checking a folder of evidence (it can take a long time just collecting all the financial, employment and housing/tenancy documents required).

The visa processing times in Cairo for settlement visas is better than it used to be but still painfully slow if your future depends on it: 15% of settlement applications decided by 40 days - 95% by 60 days (Nov 2011). Current processing times can be accessed here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/custo ... ing-times/

I wish you well, Glory. You are very wise to research the alternative long before any need arises. And I do hope it doesn't.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

"Partner" reminds me of the Bridge table, where I play with an Opponent against two Partners.

Or is this another word, like Gay, that has been removed from its traditional meaning?