Clarity - Orfi (Civil marriage) for newbies

Discuss the problems that can occur in relationships with differing cultures and help overcome any barriers that exist.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Billy_whiz

Re: Clarity - Orfi (Civil marriage) for newbies

Post by Billy_whiz »

We were stopped just a week ago whilst driving through the police checkpoint on the west side of the bridge. Did they want to see my husband's driving licence? No. Did they want to check the car tax or whatever? No. They wanted to see our marriage paper and then asked him what my name was. Being a bit peed off he told the policeman to read it himself on the paper. I leant across and said "Mickey Mouse", everybody laughed and we were sent on our way! :urm:

voodooqueen86

Post by voodooqueen86 »

Ok, I know people will judge etc.. but here goes.

If someone wanted to get an orfi contract (green) and has been told it will cost 4500 L.E...

Utter bull or likely as they dont really issue these contracts anymore?

Honesty will be appreciated but all I ask is no nasty comments.

Thanks! :)
Voo

P.S You are more than welcome to send me a private message if you dont want to reply on here, just looking for some unbiased advice! Thanks again :)

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Not sure what your asking vdq ? they do still produce the contracts, but as you would have read £450.00 he is stealing your money.

Be careful.

Ps google his full name Topix (something like that) is now naming and shaming the guys.
Last edited by dsaxelby on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is what it is.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

An orfi has no price. An orfi could be performed for nothing.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Glyphdoctor wrote:An orfi has no price. An orfi could be performed for nothing.
Yes, and you get what you pay for. :o :o :o

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Someone I know has recently got the green paper from the court, she along with her beloved two witnesses her passport and the lawyer all went along, two hours later done and dusted and it cost HER husband, it was him who wanted to get married so why shouldn't he pay, 300le. If some guy is telling you that it costs 4500le then I honestly feel that you have got a wrong un there.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

voodooqueen86 wrote: If someone wanted to get an orfi contract (green) and has been told it will cost 4500 L.E...

Utter bull or likely as they dont really issue these contracts anymore?
I have no experience with any form of marriage, but I have impressed my suiters with my knowledge of orfi, which is entirely based on what I have read on Luxor4u. You have asked the same question on several old, long threads, each of which should give you the answer.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My question to the Suitor would be - "How much are you giving ME, via the marriage contract, to be YOUR WIFE?" What is he coughing up to marry you cause him having to give YOU money, jewels, furnishings etc is all part of the marrying process. It isn't just a one way stream.

Matter of fact - MY question to this thread is - what DID your husband give you, dowary-wise, when you married? Hopefully not a sob story that he is dirt poor and can't afford anything. He should have been able to give something towards acquiring his wife :up :up

My price to marry is full residential estate with 15 room minimum, 2 cars, gold, diamonds and at least 4 servants to do 24/7 beck and call! ;) ;) This has usually put the run onto any possible potential would be suitors.

Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

4500le??? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of the above advice! Run....and then run some more!!!
If this man loves you (and not your purse) then HE is asking you to be his wife. Use your every day sensible head, ask your self if you were in your own country and a man asked you to become his dearest, would he then ask you for the money to do it?????
If this is a genuine relationship, the only thing you should be delving into your handbag for is the tissues, coz you are so happy to be proposed to by the man you want to spend your life with!
All the best with what ever you do, and I think, as someone has mentioned, if you put this question on the table for us to advise you, you are probably already aware this sounds like a pile of Donkey DOO!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

"This is your Captain speaking, We are now landing at Luxor International, can I request you do not remove your knickers until the plane comes to a full stop"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has this style of marriage been done the other way around, eg Egyptian Woman to Englishman/European? or is it the fact the men want the cash more than their wives. Or is it only available for men, if orfi is only available to men then that in itself says something. I know you will probably say they are entitled to 4 wives, and women are not entitled to 4 husbands, you know the old war effort story etc. But in a democratic Country soon to be, is it a case of whats good for the gander will be good for the goose?

I actually sat through half an hour yesterday listening to the virgin story in paradise and the bed that floats between them all.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

On the other hand, it may just be a roundabout way of asking, "Am I paying too much for my prostitute?" since such questions wouldn't really be good to ask directly.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I asked an Egyptian about this apparently there is a name for a prostitute (woman) which I know but would not use yet you can't refer to a man by the same name, there is no word for a male prostitute. Says it all really.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I personally do not understand Orfi Marriages, only what people want to declare, however there seems to be far to many women falling for this form of marriage and loosing everything they have. Maybe more so on the West Bank than the City of Luxor, but that may be because their new husband uses the same old lawyer on the West Bank, who you never see in a court room only another lawyer who always stands in for him because his uncle has died for the 12th time or he has to attend a family party, (Again). I do believe though that there are around five stages to an Orfi Marriage, and unless all stages have been completed, the woman is alone in the world and open to heavy losses.

I think GD has really hit it on the head, its just another form of prostitution. Does anyone know if there is an Orfi Marriage that involves a European Man and an Egyptian Lady, or is it a one sided contract, I do know of a Christian European and a Christian Egyptian Lady being married. It's a bit of a sad state of affairs really, and creates so much trouble for European Women who fall for it every time. I would be wrong to say that every Egyptian/European Marriages are not happy, because I know there are some out there that are deliriously happy, but they are the strong women, with their own minds and happy to share, or cannot do anything because they have already lost everything and decided that sitting tight is the answer.

Maybe these contracts should be looked at more carefully when we eventually get a new leader and government.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

An Orfi marriage...as GD has pointed out several times....is a declaration under Sharia Law before witnesses that the couple are married. That's all. Period. It doesn't require any documentation and has little consequence under the Laws of Egypt. It is an Islamic concept...and exists because sex outside of marriage is 'haram'.

As far as I know there is no specific law against adultery in Egypt....although offending parties may be pursued under laws concerning debauchery. offending public morals etc. etc.

It is not considered 'right' for an Egyptian man to flout the norms and, despite the absence of any strict legal consequences, hoteLs & some private renters will not permit cohabitation between an (Egyptian) man and a woman unless they can prove they're 'married'...either in the full legal sense or via Orfi. Unless you want to find and drag in the witnesses to your Orfi marriage , a suitable document evidencing the act is necessary. This is the purpose of these so-called Orfi papers. Any OTHER provisions they contain are another matter entirely and may be in the nature of some kind of contract affecting property, rights etc. In that case....CAVEAT EMPTOR!

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

carrie wrote:I asked an Egyptian about this apparently there is a name for a prostitute (woman) which I know but would not use yet you can't refer to a man by the same name, there is no word for a male prostitute. Says it all really.
Like with most bad words that are not officially in the Arabic dictionary, there is the slang/street words, I've heard them use the word shamoot towards a male (only heard this said in a joking way though) :)

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I know this word Keefy with an a at the end and asked if it could be used about a man and no ....no male prostitutes in Egypt. :st

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

carrie wrote:I know this word Keefy with an a at the end and asked if it could be used about a man and no ....no male prostitutes in Egypt. :st

Or gays :st
It is what it is.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

If I recall the law correctly, to be prosecuted for adultery, a man has to be caught with the woman in his own marital home. The woman can be prosecuted if she is caught anywhere.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

dsaxelby wrote:
carrie wrote:I know this word Keefy with an a at the end and asked if it could be used about a man and no ....no male prostitutes in Egypt. :st

Or gays :st
They do have a word for gays though.. Elk(sp) and Dardoom(sp) once again I am not sure if this is slang/street talk

Though the person you asked is not being 100% honest, the word for a man is Shamoot, for a women Shamoota (like I said though this is slang/street talk)

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:I asked an Egyptian about this apparently there is a name for a prostitute (woman) which I know but would not use yet you can't refer to a man by the same name, there is no word for a male prostitute. Says it all really.
I thought they were referred to as t***'s after it all goes belly up.
Glyphdoctor wrote:On the other hand, it may just be a roundabout way of asking, "Am I paying too much for my prostitute?" since such questions wouldn't really be good to ask directly.
I think that to refer to these short sighted woman as prostitutes is a bit harsh. Silly, naive perhaps, but not all are prostitutes in the true meaning of the word.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.