So Lucky

Discuss the problems that can occur in relationships with differing cultures and help overcome any barriers that exist.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

So Lucky

Post by BENNU »

A Scandinavian woman admired my earrings:

”Are they from Egypt? Oh, I love Egypt, I really feel that it is my home, I have been there twice!”

I answered that they were from Cairo.

”Oh, I so want to visit Cairo, I think of it as my city, but I have not yet been there. I have met a man so I can only go to his home town. I dream of one day living there.”

I mentioned that I live in Luxor.

”Oh, you are so much luckier than me, I have always wanted to go to Luxor! Oh, you have a matching necklace. So, your husband is from Luxor, did he give you the gold?”

I told her that I have never been married.

”Oh, but they are so handsome, how can you resist them?”

I have to admit that there are some good looking men in Egypt as well as beautiful women, but no more than in most other countries that I know for example hers. She was extraordinarily well groomed and fit, an ageless babe who would impress almost any hetero sexual man from sixteen and up. She was wearing a uniform, so I do not know how she would dress, but she was lovely. If looks were her priority, she should easily be able to attract a gorgeous blond, blue eyed guy who shared these values, but only an Egyptian would do. She could not stand Scandinavian men or even Scandinavia.

I revealed a bracelet under my heavy winter coat that completed the set. It was sitting between two heirlooms, and to her it all appeared as one huge piece of gold from Khan el Khalil. I would hardly wear that if I had a husband.

”Oh, you are so lucky! My habibi is from Sharm, where I met him. The problem is, I cannot invite him up here, because they refuse to give him a visa.”

That is not going to be easier anytime soon, but since she disliked her country so much and she could afford to invite him, it should be possible for her to visit him in Sharm el Sheikh.

”Yes, but we agree that it is important for him to know my culture too before we get married.”

I wondered how well she knew his culture after two holiday trips to Sharm el Sheikh.

”Oh, don't worry! He is Christian – and divorced! Say hello to Egypt from me!”

Back in Copenhagen, it was time to visit the treasury under my bank and choose what jewellery to wear the next few months in Luxor. It is no secret that I have been missing a man for a very, very long time, but as I kissed my Egyptian pieces good bye, I swear that I could hear her sweet voice:

”You are so much luckier than me!”

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: So Lucky

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Personally I ALWAYS believed that "Diamonds ARE a girls BEST friend" however Ruby and Sapphire have always been welcome to join in the fun and festivities. When I visit that big vault in my bank I say 'Hello' to all of my favorite friends, invite a few to come along with me for a time and leave a few to wait their turn for my next journey and adventure. Waiting amongst the golden hues of 18k keeps my old friends warm and they never fail to twinkle in the dull light of the vault when I visit them.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Oh dear Bennu all I could think of, apart from your lovely jewels, was "another one is about to bite the dust" Perhaps this guy was one of those who converted to Islam in order to get his divorce.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

BENNU wrote:
”Oh, but they are so handsome, how can you resist them?”
It's like you can just swap one for another...One is good as the other.

Some Christian denominations in Egypt can easily get divorce, but Copts can only get a divorce in the case that one party has had an affair.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

carrie wrote: Perhaps this guy was one of those who converted to Islam in order to get his divorce.
Or perhaps he was not Christian - or divorced... or from Sharm...