Are you earning enough ...

Discuss the problems that can occur in relationships with differing cultures and help overcome any barriers that exist.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Are you earning enough ...

Post by HEPZIBAH »

British citizen? Are you earning enough to risk falling in love with and marry an Egyptian?
Putting a price on love: Half of Brits banned from living with a foreign partner
Politics.co.uk

By Ian Dunt

Nearly half of Brits working in the UK are banned from living with a spouse from outside the EU under the coalition's tough new anti-immigration law, new research has revealed.

Rules introduced by Theresa May mean only people earning over £18,600 can bring a wife or husband to live with them in the UK, leaving 47% of British employees unable to live with their loved one in their own country.

"This analysis shows that hardworking families outside London are bearing the brunt of the government's tough migration rules," Ruth Grove-White, policy director at the Migrants Rights Network said.

"Effectively, a price has been put on love - and those who don't earn enough are facing indefinite separation from their husband or wife.

"This is not just a problem in the immigration rules, it raises questions about the kind of society we want to be - one that respects the right of British citizens to live with their family or one that deems some too poor to have equal rights?"

The research found 74 constituencies in which less than 50% of employees earn £18,600 per year.

Brits in the north-west and south-west of England, as well as across Wales, are particularly likely to be affected due to lower than average earnings in those regions.

The £18,600 benchmark is considerably higher than that earned by a full-time worker earning the national minimum wage, who receives approximately £13,200.

A Home Office impact assessment found up to 17,800 family visas would be affected, but the human cost has been much more powerful than the numbers suggest.

Emotional accounts of families separated by visa rules or children being forced to grow up without one of their parents have shocked researchers and triggered a concerted legal fight to change the rules.

Last year, a high court judgement found the rules were an "unjustified and disproportionate interference with a genuine spousal relationship" and suggested the benchmark should be set at £13,400.

Families affected by the rules are currently holding out for a court of appeal judgement on the original case.

An all-party parliamentary group on migration report into the rules saw MPs, peers and children's commissioners call for an immediate review of the rules.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/putting-price ... ml#Aoh6Tuv

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Are you earning enough ...

Post by Zooropa »

I think its perfectly reasonable to have to show you are able to show you can support your partner if you want her to reside in the UK.

My ex wife's sister met and fell pregnant by an Australian and iirc when they moved there they had to cover her hospital expenses or pay a higher tax contribution for a period to make up for the cost of the treatment.

Many countries have policies such as this.

I never hear of other countries being accused of unfair treatment.

You should be allowed to marry who you like but I don't see why it should then be a burden to the UK taxpayer.

We spend as much on welfare in the Uk as we do on education and defence combined.

Successive governments have allowed the welfare state to balloon to unsustainable levels.

Something has to gove, in my opinion.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I believe if anybody wishes to import a spouse from anywhere then they need to be able to bear the brunt, the complete 100% cost(s) for say a 10 yr span of time, for that person. It is not a societal responsibility to financially augment new family groupings. It is NOT the responsibility of the UK tax payer to have to support whomever is brought in.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The US has a rule that you have to be earning 125% of poverty level of your family size or have 5 times that amount in assets in the bank or 5 times the difference between your salary and the 125%, but even then it is up to the discretion of the consular officer interviewing you at the embassy to decide whether you need a co-sponsor or not. Then you are on the hook to support the immigrant for 10 years or until they become a US citizen. Even divorce does not negate the contract. It doesn't mean they can demand you feed and house them, but it does mean that if they go into debt or something that you may get stuck with the bill.

I do know a British guy in another forum who lives in China and seems to be consumed with bitterness and anger at anyone and everyone about this requirement as he wants to bring his Chinese girlfriend to the UK and can't yet afford to do so.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

If you don't have proof of £18,600 but do have over £65,000 in available savings or accessible investments, you can bring them over too. I have no objection to this, and am currently looking at Omar coming to the UK, where he can work at my business with the dogs and cats, and as he hasn't paid into the NHS etc, I would not expect him to be benefiting from it. Same with benefits. I am more than happy with the change in rules that stops him from claiming. Why should UK taxpayers fund everything for people who put nothing in the pot in the first place?
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Robbo70 wrote:... he can work at my business with the dogs and cats ...
What work do the dogs and cats do, and how much are they paid? 8)

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I just wonder if the same rules would apply if a British woman (who was not earning above the stated amount and had not got the assests refered to by Robbo) was married to a highly qualified Heart Surgeon or other such proffessional.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

HEPZIBAH wrote:British citizen? Are you earning enough to risk falling in love with and marry an Egyptian?
Putting a price on love: Half of Brits banned from living with a foreign partner
Politics.co.uk
The suggestion being that half of Brits would want to live with a foreign partner?

There is always the possibility that they could live together in the partner's country (or even a third party country)!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sometimes random thoughts do flit through my brain - bear with.......

IF the person in the UK is working and making a pittance and marries an Egyptian (who they want to bring immediately to the UK) how well can one assume they know this Egyptian? Meaning if they're not making sufficient funds to qualify under the new rules how can one assume they've had the available money to travel back and forth to get to know the spouse in person? Am kinda thinking that if you don't have sufficient funds to qualify I'd hazard these marriages could be the scam marriage types where the 2 don't really know each other that well in the first place.

If one can only afford 1 short trip ever few years and falls madly in love & marries with a local should the rest of us be financing this union which probably won't last because the couple do not really KNOW each other terribly well........

Makes one wonder what IS the true price of Love? Can only the RICH afford it?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Does the UK allow any kind of co-sponsor like other countries (US, Australia) do? Anyone can be a co-sponsor alongside the citizen spouse in the US or Australia-family, friend, etc. It just has to be someone willing to sign off on the legal responsibility.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Does the UK allow any kind of co-sponsor like other countries (US, Australia) do? Anyone can be a co-sponsor alongside the citizen spouse in the US or Australia-family, friend, etc. It just has to be someone willing to sign off on the legal responsibility.
It used to be possible for a spouses UK family to act as sponsors, but that was stopped some years ago. When my Turkish husband applied for a Spousal Visa, 2003, I had to prove that I had sufficient funds to support both of us without recourse to benefits. In fact, alongside his visa was stamped - in large red letters - Prohibited from claiming Benefits. The law was strengthened 18 months ago, and the £18,500 threshold introduced, clarifying the amount of earnings needed.

Carrie - re marriage to a high earner such as a heart surgeon, he or she would be able to obtain a visa in their own right if they had a job waiting in the UK. Once there, after the usual 2 years they could apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

For a visit visa or a work visa, you would have a sponsor, who is responsible for you and all call costs incurred. For the spousal/partner visa then the spouse is the only one who can meet the financial requirements for the visa.
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Brian Yare wrote:
Robbo70 wrote:... he can work at my business with the dogs and cats ...
What work do the dogs and cats do, and how much are they paid? 8)
they get paid in kind... ie food and walks. Sadly the people here demand cold hard cash to provide that :D
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

When DH got his UK spouse visa in 2002 I was living in Egypt and not working but still managed to get him a Spousal visa. I provided my P45 from my previous job as proof of earning potential which was quite a bit more than the current threshold, details of savings, references and a copy of my CV so things have changed quite a bit since then as the fact that I wasn't employed would have meant we would be refused. He got the visa based on the documentation and my ability to be re-employed but with a big fat 'No recourse to Public funds' (rightly so) in the passport. He was then able to get Indefinite leave to remain a year later and British Citizenship 3 years later. There were no English tests then for Visas but he had to do English tests to get Citizenship. I have mixed feelings about the current rules.
Last edited by Angela on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The US requires you prove you can meet the financial requirements not in the distant past or future, but for the past 3 years in a row (as evidenced by your tax returns and bank statements). You also are supposed to be "domiciled" in the US, which means that you have to demonstrate you didn't give up your residence in the US. I had been living in Egypt for 5 years at the time and we didn't know when we would be leaving for the US so every year I was scrambling to make sure I was earning enough (or getting enough scholarship money as I was still a student too) even though I didn't need to work to survive here in Egypt. I met all the financial requirements and was at the time working for one of only about a dozen US institutions abroad that entitle you domicile status even if you really aren't domiciled in the US, so I met the all of the requirements, but the consular officer still decided I needed a co-sponsor. I had been expecting that as the same scenario had happened to several of my friends who also met all the requirements, so I had co-sponsor papers already signed by my parents to present just in case. The co-sponsor can be any US citizen or permanent resident. It doesn't have to be family members. I think it is the same in Australia because a coworker who wanted to bring her British partner to Australia used family friends as co-sponsors.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

The current UK requirements are that he passes an English test, which he is doing in July, that I qualify for the financial requirements, and he meets the requirement for no criminal records etc. Obviously, all the usual school, army certs and a marriage in the embassy to go with it. This will get him a 3 1/2 year visa to settle in the UK. After 3 years, he can apply for indefinite leave to stay, and having stayed a further 3 years, only then will he be able to apply for citizenship if he wants to. Its now a very long and very drawn out process if you take the legal route. ( I could just drive him to a ferry, hide him in the jeep and wait for the next asylum amnesty in the UK and get it all done a lot quicker and cheaper 8) )
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I am not bothered who goes and resettles in the UK, obviously many think its the greatest place on earth due to amount that want to settle there. My belief is they should do what Australia does, prove you can speak and read/write English, have a job to go to, or a sponsor, normally the sponsor would be the employer in Australia, and money for if things go wrong available to you, (It is normally deposited with the state depository you move to) If you meet this same criteria why should you not go to the UK.
There has to be some form of immigration policy, different to the European policy of open borders and free travel, that is an open invite to abuse of systems in any Country.

When myself and wife inquired about the move to Egypt, the Egyptian Embassy in Lownes Street London told us to live there you would need 500,000le deposited in an Egyptian Bank or a 500,000le investment in property. Mind you that was 6 years ago, so things have obviously changed.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

English speaking/written test for Egyptian nationals wishing to live in the UK. Part one, written assessment test.

NAME. Mohammed Mustaffa now Johnston.

[PLEASE PRINT ALL YOUR ANSWERS]

Q1. You are walking in an unfamiliar area and need directions. You stop a lady pedestrian for help. What form would your question for assistance take.

Answer to question 1. Hyia I'm Mohammed, I love you, where you live.

Q2. You are late for a very important appointment but have no watch to check the time you have left, you see a policeman standing on the corner of the street. How would you ask for his assistance.

Answer to question 2. I need the time. How much you want.

Q3. There are many forms of vocalized greetings that can be used in the UK. Write down four you may use here in the UK.

Answer to question 3. Welcome to Alaska. Hey, you want to see my Egyptian banana. Welcome, you know how much. Hey, what's your name.

Q4. As stated previously the answers on this form will go towards your assessment. If you are successful and become a citizen of the UK, what help towards others could you offer from your life experiences.

Answer to question 4. I show them how to shoot gun. Sucking petrol from a taxis tank. Show them how to get an English wife so they can stay here. Show them how easy it is to use the ATM that holds all their wife's money.

Q5. On the general information page you needed to state your religion. If you ticked the box that was for Muslims, would you still continue to practice you faith in the UK. If yes, would you pray at your place of dwelling or at the nearest Mosque.

Answer to question 5. Is this trick question.

Q6. If your application is successful, you would be expected to abide by the rules of law in the UK. Dealings in a criminal activity would result in your application being cancelled and could also lead to immediate expulsion from the UK. Give three examples of what you would consider being of a criminal nature and against UK law.

Answer to question 6. Eating the dirty pig meat. Not praying five times a day. Spitting on the pavement instead of the road.

Q7. It would be beneficial towards your application if you had a recognized trade or profession. State your former occupation in your respective country if you consider it would be of benefit to the UK. If you do not consider your past work to be of any benefit to the UK indicate this by writing ''would require a retraining program.'' There are a number of these retraining programs available to you.

Answer to question 7. I sold land, I was caleche driver, felucca boat owner, tour guide at the Temples and tombs, excavator of things lost in the deserts and investor of English money in the property market and was a banana grower. My uncle was a train driver so I do not need retraining as I used to drive his when I was a boy.

Q8. The written English language is comprised of letters from the English alphabet. Starting from the first letter list all twenty six in their correct alphabetical order.

Answer to question 8. eh bee see dee eee eff gee ahch eye jay kay hell em en ow pee qyou or ess shy you vee uu ex why zed.

Q9. Understanding British currency plays an important part in your living here. Give an example of how you would overcome any possible difficulties that you may experience.

Answer to question 9. Shop at Asda.

Q10. You are walking down the street with your family. A man passing you makes a raciest comment towards you and your family. What, in your opinion, would be the best course of action to take regarding this incident.

Answer to question 10. I would cut his head off and place it on YouTube.

This ends your written assessment section. You will be informed of the results when completing your spoken English assessment.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

هل تتكلم اللغة العربية؟

Didn't think so.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Q II. Define the term ''sense of humor.''

Didn't think so.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.