Egypt: The forbidden love of interfaith romances

Discuss the problems that can occur in relationships with differing cultures and help overcome any barriers that exist.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Egypt: The forbidden love of interfaith romances

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have an acquaintance (Muslim) who through a series of family circumstances was not circumsized and did not become so until prior to his wedding to a Muslim lady at age 44. Neither was Egyptian however both were Muslim.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Scottishtourist wrote:
newcastle wrote:I believe we have adherents of religion on this forum. Probably a range of faiths too.

I'd be interested (genuinely) to hear how they view the misery engendered by stories such as these. So sad...and in my view so unnecessary even if you believe in a higher power.
O.k here goes!
Putting on the flak jacket as I type!

Why does this man THINK he is so unhappy?He has stated that he has a beautiful wife of his own religion who has given him children.Is he unhappy with her?I very much doubt it!
He says he doesn't love her.
I say he's talking crap!
He's maybe hankering for "the one he couldn't have,the one who got away."

What do we all do when life catches up with us?When we realise that a partnership has to be worked at?When the burdens of reality and family responsibilities appear unfair?

We think back to a "lost love"and wonder "what if?"Cos,we were younger then.We thought that we could over-rule guidance and our religious doctrine.

We can't!At a young impressionable age for someone with faith...religion DOES make a difference when choosing a "life partner.Cos the one thing we want is agreement on how to bring up children and what religion(if it's applicable)they will follow.

It's all very well being so "liberal"and saying it doesn't matter.But for anyone who follows a religion...it does!And very much so!

A load of claptrap?
Well,why do so many interfaith marriages fail?
It's because the beliefs interfere with the relationship!

Just look at the failure rate between the European (so called) Christian/Atheist women who have married Muslim men in Luxor/Egypt.
I don't always think the reason is the age gap(if there is one.)It's the fact that they were not willing to accept and embrace each others religion.

I could elaborate immensely on this.My own background is one where my mum was a convert to the Catholic faith.Did it bring problems?You bet it did!
Quite frankly..my dad would NOT have married her if she hadn't converted!
Glad she did though..or I wouldn't be here spouting off on a forum about religion!

Imagine some would be uttering a sigh of relief if that was the case!
All of which just illustrates the evil of indoctrinating minds with religion.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I have an acquaintance (Muslim) who through a series of family circumstances was not circumsized and did not become so until prior to his wedding to a Muslim lady at age 44. Neither was Egyptian however both were Muslim.
44 eh ? 'that certainly brings tears to my eyes contemplating the loving couples first consummation ouch! hardly expresses it… :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I bet the sh** would hit the preverbal fan If I, an OAP took the faith and married a 16 year old Egyptian bird, I see little difference twixt me and an OAP woman on her holidays marrying her but, MMD… :cool:
Ist sense for sex is the mind….plus, what do you discuss ? her taste in music. 'la whaala!
Sophocles.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

What's the average age of posters on the forum?
Why is it so "unfashionable"to say that some of us have a faith?
Why is it so disturbing to others when we "expose"our beliefs,and seek answers to questions we are asking?
Why are we somewhat labelled as being "indoctrinated?"

We're not indoctrinated in anything!We have been raised in a certain way.We have reached adulthood and decided either to follow that faith..or not to!

I could be "liberal"too!
I could say things that everyone wanted to hear..such as "religion is for fools!"
"Put an end to religion and do it now"..cos by saying this,it would solve all the world's problems!

Well..it won't!
Cos basically,it's faith that makes us appreciate others viewpoints and respect their opinions and beliefs!
So many people say "let everyone do as they want!"
I concede that they say this with very little respect.It's a "trendy"viewpoint and endears them to everyone else who really doesn't give a ****!

Use your MINDS!Stop saying things that have no substance just because you want to be thought of as the "better"person!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Scottishtourist wrote:What's the average age of posters on the forum?

No idea.....50-ish?
Why is it so "unfashionable"to say that some of us have a faith?

Is it?
Why is it so disturbing to others when we "expose"our beliefs,and seek answers to questions we are asking?
Why are we somewhat labelled as being "indoctrinated?"

Not disturbing...a bit mystifying to yours truly

We're not indoctrinated in anything!We have been raised in a certain way.We have reached adulthood and decided either to follow that faith..or not to!

Ahaaa!! That's a good definition of "indoctrination"

I could be "liberal"too!
I could say things that everyone wanted to hear..such as "religion is for fools!"
"Put an end to religion and do it now"..cos by saying this,it would solve all the world's problems!

Whilst I'd agree with the sentiment..I wouldn't waste my time trying to de-indoctrinate those of religious persuasion

Well..it won't!
Cos basically,it's faith that makes us appreciate others viewpoints and respect their opinions and beliefs!
So many people say "let everyone do as they want!"
I concede that they say this with very little respect.It's a "trendy"viewpoint and endears them to everyone else who really doesn't give a ****!

Yep...can't say I give a ****. Never realised it was trendy though. There's hope for me yet!

Use your MINDS!Stop saying things that have no substance just because you want to be thought of as the "better"person!
Use your MIND? Do me a favour. To have faith requires disconnecting your mind

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I was raised in the Roman Catholic faith ST and I'm sorry to disagree with you but I do consider it to be indoctrination. From an early age, 3, to be exact I attended Catholic nursery and then school. Until I passed my 11 plus and because the local girl's Catholic grammer school was full that year three of us girls had to attend a Protestant school. we were not allowed to attend assembly where prayers were held in the morning. We were not allowed to go to religious instruction classes,at school, we had to go for religious instruction with the Priest every Thursday evening. All to prevent us being infected with this terrible desease passed on by the Prody dogs, yes that is how the Priest refered to Protestants. I rejected the RC faith because of the behaviour of many of the nuns and priest. I was taught the names of all the Popes and what good men they were by Priests, only when I went to the "big" school hoiwever did I learn anything about Pope Borgia and his children, when I asked the Priest about him I was hit with a flying board duster and hit over the knuckles with a ruler told to go to confession and admit my sins. Never again did I go to mass never again will I go to mass.
Priests were men of integrity and honesty men of faith who were to be believed and trusted. Turned out that a lot of them were paedophilles and protected by those who should have known much better. What kind of a religion is that?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I once heard about a Christian foreigner who was a student at AUC. He started proselytizing to the Muslim students and the students complained to the president of the university. He was deported within 24 hours.

I wonder if they deport atheists for proselytizing too? Anyone hear of such cases before?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:I was raised in the Roman Catholic faith ST and I'm sorry to disagree with you but I do consider it to be indoctrination. From an early age, 3, to be exact I attended Catholic nursery and then school. Until I passed my 11 plus and because the local girl's Catholic grammer school was full that year three of us girls had to attend a Protestant school. we were not allowed to attend assembly where prayers were held in the morning. We were not allowed to go to religious instruction classes,at school, we had to go for religious instruction with the Priest every Thursday evening. All to prevent us being infected with this terrible desease passed on by the Prody dogs, yes that is how the Priest refered to Protestants. I rejected the RC faith because of the behaviour of many of the nuns and priest. I was taught the names of all the Popes and what good men they were by Priests, only when I went to the "big" school hoiwever did I learn anything about Pope Borgia and his children, when I asked the Priest about him I was hit with a flying board duster and hit over the knuckles with a ruler told to go to confession and admit my sins. Never again did I go to mass never again will I go to mass.
Priests were men of integrity and honesty men of faith who were to be believed and trusted. Turned out that a lot of them were paedophilles and protected by those who should have known much better. What kind of a religion is that?
Of course it's indoctrination......and all the more powerful when applied to the mind of a child whose genetic predisposition is to take "as gospel'" - excuse the pun - anything told by their parent.

Many of us grow out of absurd beliefs.....religion seems particularly resistant to common sense and to be maintained requires the suspension of disbelief (not to mention constant reinforcement by others).

One of the fascinating things about the human mind is its capacity to do this!

I'm not sure many of us would care much, one way or the other, except for the awful things done either in the name of religion or by those who administer it.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

carrie wrote:I was raised in the Roman Catholic faith ST and I'm sorry to disagree with you but I do consider it to be indoctrination. From an early age, 3, to be exact I attended Catholic nursery and then school. Until I passed my 11 plus and because the local girl's Catholic grammer school was full that year three of us girls had to attend a Protestant school. we were not allowed to attend assembly where prayers were held in the morning. We were not allowed to go to religious instruction classes,at school, we had to go for religious instruction with the Priest every Thursday evening. All to prevent us being infected with this terrible desease passed on by the Prody dogs, yes that is how the Priest refered to Protestants. I rejected the RC faith because of the behaviour of many of the nuns and priest. I was taught the names of all the Popes and what good men they were by Priests, only when I went to the "big" school hoiwever did I learn anything about Pope Borgia and his children, when I asked the Priest about him I was hit with a flying board duster and hit over the knuckles with a ruler told to go to confession and admit my sins. Never again did I go to mass never again will I go to mass.
Ok Carrie.A lot of them were paedophiles.
How many of them were not?

The whole idea of paedophilia is abhorred by Catholics!
Does it make us abandon our faith..because one mortal has been a bad example?
NO..we rise above it and believe that our GOD will guide us and show us the correct way!

HE is the ultimate..not a priest or indeed a Pope!

I personally could never envisage not attending Mass or following my faith because I was offended by the actions of a "mere mortal."

As my Scottish Presbyterian granny said often...the bigger the bible..the bigger the rogue!
Substitute it for words of an Iman.a Rabbi,etc.

They ain't the "true"believers!We are!One God,and we choose our path in our belief of HIM,no matter what anyone else says.x

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I once heard about a Christian foreigner who was a student at AUC. He started proselytizing to the Muslim students and the students complained to the president of the university. He was deported within 24 hours.

I wonder if they deport atheists for proselytizing too? Anyone hear of such cases before?
There have been recent reports of atheists being persecuted.

I'll have to hope I'm viewed as an aberration and not to be taken seriously :snig:

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

44 eh ? 'that certainly brings tears to my eyes contemplating the loving couples first consummation ouch! hardly expresses it… :cool:
@ Who2 - I know cause I drove him to hospital to have the deed done. Apparently she was also done and wasn't going to accept him unless he was done......

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I once heard about a Christian foreigner who was a student at AUC. He started proselytizing to the Muslim students and the students complained to the president of the university. He was deported within 24 hours.

I cannot see why they would not, it would still be attempting to do the same thing.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Scottishtourist wrote:
Ok Carrie.A lot of them were paedophiles.
How many of them were not?

Its difficult to tell as the ones that are, are protected and hidden.

The whole idea of paedophilia is abhorred by Catholics!

So much so that all 1.2 billion of you haven't managed or apparently that I can see, even tried to dismantle the policy of covering up and protecting child abusers, "get your head down here for a few weeks son and then we will ship you off to another parish - nice, job's a good un"

Does it make us abandon our faith..because one mortal has been a bad example?

One? afew more than that methinks.

NO..we rise above it and believe that our GOD will guide us and show us the correct way!

Rise above it? that's what my mum told me to do when I was being teased at school, and when someone is being petty - seriously, that's your solution? rise above it? Ah, now we know why nothings been done about it, your all being the bigger person! - smashing - well that's sorted it then.

HE is the ultimate..not a priest or indeed a Pope!

Like any other overgrown organisation then, too many middle managers!

I personally could never envisage not attending Mass or following my faith because I was offended by the actions of a "mere mortal."

And what if one is holding the mass your attending? - rise above it again?

As my Scottish Presbyterian granny said often...the bigger the bible..the bigger the rogue!
Substitute it for words of an Iman.a Rabbi,etc.

For once we are agreed!

They ain't the "true"believers!We are!One God,and we choose our path in our belief of HIM,no matter what anyone else says.x
Fine, then why do you need a religious organisation to do it through? unlike a lot of people of "faith" ive actually read the bible - an amazing literal work especially given the time when it was written, but as a guide to live my life by? Also, don't remember any passages that said anything about the catholic faith being the right ticket.

In the beginning man created God.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

The God of the Old Testament a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, and a homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: The whole idea of paedophilia is abhorred by Catholics!………...
Probably so, but indulged by those that are ment to be it's tutors it's leaders its interpreters.
I have never had a problem with believing or understanding that a higher intelligence a divine creator exists but, to harness that understanding to wield evil power over the masses is abhorent and totally against the purpose of a human life and a humans short existence here.
In all honesty it is totally evil in all that it purports to do for us the human race. 'Sing for your f***in suppers you sinners'
dogmatic ignorance and too lazy to try to struggle to understand the meaning to ones life….. :cool:
Ps: over 10,000 canonised saints but just how many sinners ? spare me……God gave us a brain Why ?
'to be used of course, So best start using it! eh ? in honour and respect for the gift of a humans life..
Sophocles.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Newcastle-I have no problem with others' beliefs and their expressions of their beliefs, even if they are atheists or Hindus or even neo-Pharaonic worshipers. I accept all people as they are. But because I personally practice acceptance of others' different faiths, the red line for me is when people stop talking about their own beliefs and make derogatory remarks about OTHER PEOPLE because they have different faiths. You can say you disagree with the tenets of their faith, but don't call them stupid or lacking in maturity or evil or whatever because they believe it. Back in the day when I was still on FB, I defriended more people for posting anti-Christian and even more anti-Catholic posts than I ever did for anti-Muslim posts. I don't distinguish in these matters based on what religion it is. Respecting differences in these matters is just very very basic human decency.

And you are straddling that red line these days, BTW.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Whatever their faith, people will always shout loudly that ''we have not been indoctrinated.'' But they have, otherwise they would not stand firm in supporting their own religions so strongly against any other. Carrie you speak of a parallel experience to my own early days of forced religious teachings [C of E] at school, with the exception of the pedophilia bit, didn't see any. In my case, Catholics were referred to as ''those Rednecks'' by our vicar of drivel. But at that time, they had power over a great deal of the population, their words were from Gods own mouth and had to be obeyed without question, and to enforce the goodness of Gods word, they used to kick the crap out of anyone that disagreed or transgressed. And people of my age still refer to them 'as the good old days.''
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

ST I hope you don't think I have called you immature, evil or anything else, I profoundly disagree with your views and whatever the arguments you put up will continue to do so. I could debate with you till the sun fails to shine neither of us would change our stance. Let us two at least agree to disagree.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Newcastle-I have no problem with others' beliefs and their expressions of their beliefs, even if they are atheists or Hindus or even neo-Pharaonic worshipers. I accept all people as they are. But because I personally practice acceptance of others' different faiths, the red line for me is when people stop talking about their own beliefs and make derogatory remarks about OTHER PEOPLE because they have different faiths. You can say you disagree with the tenets of their faith, but don't call them stupid or lacking in maturity or evil or whatever because they believe it. Back in the day when I was still on FB, I defriended more people for posting anti-Christian and even more anti-Catholic posts than I ever did for anti-Muslim posts. I don't distinguish in these matters based on what religion it is. Respecting differences in these matters is just very very basic human decency.

And you are straddling that red line these days, BTW.
I don't recall using any of the words you mention in reference to any particular person. Nor are they words I recall using in a general sense.**

That some adherents of religion are stupid, immature or evil is undeniable....but the same could be said of some atheists. I see little point in addressing people who have been indoctrinated (THAT'S the word I find most apposite) if only for the reason I have better things to do with my time. Discussions on religion always seem to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

But if anyone feels moved to post here, or elsewhere, a bit of what I regard as nonsense, then I will feel free to respond, pointing out to them the inaccuracy, inconsistency or pure hypocrisy of their comments and leave others to judge whether they are indeed stupid, immature or evil.

If, at some future time, it became manifestly apparent that there is no god and that all religious beliefs & practices were pointless, then I would suggest that the world of the believers would collapse about their ears. What point would they see in existence? How would they feel about having spent a life 'deluded'?

As an atheist, and a scientist, I would find proof of the existence of god extremely surprising...but not at all upsetting. It would involve some adjustment in my thought processes....but only minor ones. At the moment, the existence of god as an entity behind the formation of the universe remains a theoretical possibility (albeit a most unsatisfactory hypothesis in the intellectual sense).

The trappings , add-ons, to such deistic belief which have accrued over the millennia .....well, as I said elsewhere, each to their own.

** I have used the words to refer to practices e.g. indoctrination.....but abusing individuals or classes of people is not at all what I've intended. But then those of religious persuasion do seem to take offence so easily. I suppose having your raison d'etre criticised, let alone undermined, must be disconcerting.