More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Discuss the problems that can occur in relationships with differing cultures and help overcome any barriers that exist.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10883
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 1846 times
Gender:
Egypt

More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by DJKeefy »

An increasing number of Egyptian young men are marrying foreign women who are older than them by 20 to 30 years in order to escape poverty and to search for better life elsewhere, according to a new study recently published.

Such type of marriage is found mainly in tourist destinations of Upper Egypt and the Red Sea, according to Dr. Izat Ashmawi, head of the research department on human trafficking in the Ministry of Family and Population in Cairo.

In the study released by Ashmawi’s department, such marriages have increased in 2000-2001 by 5 percent and in 2002 by 29 percent, with 264 registered cases. The year of 2003 saw a 21 percent increase, 2004 witnessed 33 percent increase, and in 2005 the trend registered 30 percent increase.


Young men from poor backgrounds tend to work in tourism-related jobs, such as driving horse carriages or sailing boats on the Nile.

In 2010 alone, Egypt witnessed 17 thousand of such cases, according to the study.

“Age does not pose as a hurdle for me and my wife. Our relationship started with friendship and it developed into marriage,” a young Egyptian man married to an American woman older than him said without giving his name or his wife's age.

“She accepted me without putting any constraints and conditions,” he said referring to the high expensive dowry and expenses that come along with marrying an Egyptian woman.

“My wife travels to the U.S. and she comes back during certain periods, and we spend it together. Sometimes I travel to the U.S. to see her.”

Asked about his preference to marry a non-Egyptian, he said marrying a foreigner is much less complicated and there are no obstacles coming from the women or their families.

Dr. Hamdi Abdul al-Adhim, an economic expert, said that some young men see such marriages as profitable enterprises enabling them to fulfill their dreams.

“Men from Upper Egypt dream of the opportunities they can obtain from such marriages. They dream to marry such women to come back to build homes, and own cars,” he added.

Echoing the young man’s reason behind marrying a non-Egyptian, Dr. al-Adhim said the high costs of marrying an Egyptian woman are one of the reasons that push men to marry older foreign women.

“Many families welcome such a marriage because it does not require a ready apartment for the bride or expensive dowries; foreigners only look for emotional fulfillment especially the ones who are older in age.”

Unlike Dr. al-Adhim who sees the positivity of such marriage as it can lower unemployment and help transfer money from abroad into Egypt.

Dr. Suhair Sind, head of the Center for Social and Criminal Research and professor of Sociology, said that such marriages are only temporary, adding that marriage to foreign women contributes to increasing the number of unmarried Egyptian females.

Source: http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/ ... 34435.html


Image

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 am
Has thanked: 985 times
Been thanked: 2256 times
Canada

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

In 2010 alone, Egypt witnessed 17 thousand of such cases, according to the study.
Definitely statistically significant.

Wonder if the study captures how long the average spring/winter marriages last, what the economic situation of the divorcee is when her young husband opts to leave and what his economic situation is when he opts to leave? What are the circumstances surrounding the dissolution of these marriages?

This study talks about the front end of these marriages but doesn't reference how these marriages end, how long they last ....... etc etc etc.

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Glyphdoctor »

“My wife travels to the U.S. and she comes back during certain periods, and we spend it together. Sometimes I travel to the U.S. to see her.”
Hmm, I recently came across one of these women online-a part-time American wife who had married someone from the West Bank. I took notice because there are so few Americans who marry from Luxor. She seemed to be trying to profit from the relationship herself! She wrote a book about it. I read a bit of it on Google Books. So dull, watching paint dry would have been more interesting. Why do people think that their lives are more interesting for us to read than us actually just living our own lives?

What is interesting though is how this phenomenon is studied as a CRIMINAL one. Of course, all the MMDs won't see themselves in this article anyway. Their toyboys married them for lurrrve.

LLL-Maybe you missed this point:
Dr. Suhair Sind, head of the Center for Social and Criminal Research and professor of Sociology, said that such marriages are only temporary,

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 am
Has thanked: 985 times
Been thanked: 2256 times
Canada

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Glyph - no I got that point all right which is why I was indicating there don't seem to be studies about the endings of these marriages cause they don't last - unless of course THEIR MMD is really different! :o :stp :td

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5944
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5920 times
Been thanked: 7389 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Dusak »

This isn't exactly new news is it? An old fact once again rearing its ugly head, if you pardon the pun. As for life stories, it could interest some, especially those familiar with Luxor, just to see if they recognize any mentioned or can compere it to their own lives with such a partner. As it being an American, your nationality does not come into it really as any can be just as stupid as any other. Except me of course. ;)
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 4637
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 am
Location: luxor
Has thanked: 2995 times
Been thanked: 5639 times
United Kingdom

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by carrie »

Problem is that some MMD's are different, some women I know here have been married to an Egyptian for a number of years and are perfectly happy, as I have said before because they have no horror stories to tell they are not interesting to the majority of gossips.
You yourself Glyph are married to an Egyptian how has your marriage survived? Probably because your MMD IS] different.

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Glyphdoctor »

My personal life is just that, personal. I live it, not talk about it. And you can think whatever you want about it. I don't care.

And to be clear, that's not an answer to your question. It is a comment on my feelings about whether such questions deserve an answer or not though in the context of such a thread.

User avatar
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:38 am
Location: Le Manège Enchanté
Has thanked: 9029 times
Been thanked: 2303 times

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Glyph' I think it is a given thing that you are no blinkered BT regarding your marriage and your life in Egypt. :up
I think Carrie's question was valid, but you do of course have the right not to answer. Personal is personal, and I respect teh fact you chose not to answer Carrie, which is fair enough. just dont go mad and assume there was some kind of sarcasm in her question..

As Carrie said, we know many women happily married to Egyptian men.

To me its fairly obvious, and it has little to do with luck... :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10883
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 1846 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by DJKeefy »

I know hundreds who have married an Egyptian, yet I'm sorry to say I know only 6 who I can say are happily married and that their relationship was not based on any money or business.
Image

User avatar
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 4637
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 am
Location: luxor
Has thanked: 2995 times
Been thanked: 5639 times
United Kingdom

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by carrie »

We are not talking numbers here Keefy, I'm just saying that some marriages do work and good luck to them. I wish them all the best and would much prefer to talk to these women than the ones who have numerous horror stories. What always amazes me is that they complain about their husband doing this or that and then go on to do the same thing all over again with another husband.
And Glyph, I wasn't being sarcastic, from what you have written on here it is obvious that you are married to an Egyptian, quite happily I presume, you seem too intellegent to put up with anything else. As you say your private life is just that private but since you do post on here I perhaps unwisely used you as an example that Egyptian/foreigner marriages can and do work.

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Carrie-I was not upset at all by your question. But it's like a trick question you know, even if you didn't intend it that way. I'd be an MMD if I answered it. ;)

Which is why I said the context is important here. If it was a general discussion about what makes a marriage last, then I probably would be happy to join in the discussion.

But when it comes to marriage to an Egyptian specifically, I just don't have an answer.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 am
Has thanked: 985 times
Been thanked: 2256 times
Canada

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think, and this is just my own supposition that those women who "properly" married - as in married with a full wedding (the 'til death do us part type) with full family knowledge/attendance/sanction, legal papers all recorded wherever - are in a far far far different category to the Orfi verdant green paper wives who rapidly and secretly marry etc.

This study made no mention of how it defined "Marriage" so I think we're talking wrinkled apples and sour oranges.

User avatar
Karenh
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:56 am
Location: cairo
Has thanked: 1 time
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Karenh »

I've been married now 4 years and although live in carto am very happy. My husband has never asked gor money it visa in fact he refuses help. He knew I had no cash when we net and married.
A day without laughter is a day wasted
Image

User avatar
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 901 times
Been thanked: 1322 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Scottishtourist »

Karenh wrote:I've been married now 4 years and although live in carto am very happy. My husband has never asked gor money it visa in fact he refuses help. He knew I had no cash when we net and married.
Have you given him children Karenh?
Have you helped his family in any way?
What's the age gap between you?Have you spoken about a family..or just about your inability to provide cash?

I really think that if you are a young woman of child-bearing age,then the marriage may just work out!
I've seen couples in Luxor/Hurghada,Egptian man and European woman,with baby in tow!
This MAY just work!Are you one of the lucky ones?

Or..are you just in denial?

Wish you well whatever.x

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Glyphdoctor »

At least one always has to come out of the woodwork when articles like these are posted and start shouting "MMD! MMD!" On the L4U FB group, this seems to even be more common than here. It even happens on posts that have no direct connection to relationships. There just seem to be some women who periodically feel the need to declare the validity of their relationship to the world. It must really suck to have such nagging feelings inside you all the time that lead to such outbursts.

And yeah, I know someone is going to say I said on another thread I said I USED to be on FB so why am I talking like I am now. I used to have a personal account I used to post and interact with others. but now I just use a different account for reading only. I never post anymore. Just to clear things up before I get asked.

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5944
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5920 times
Been thanked: 7389 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Dusak »

Scottishtourist wrote:
Karenh wrote:I've been married now 4 years and although live in carto am very happy. My husband has never asked gor money it visa in fact he refuses help. He knew I had no cash when we net and married.
Have you given him children Karenh?
Have you helped his family in any way?
What's the age gap between you?Have you spoken about a family..or just about your inability to provide cash?

I really think that if you are a young woman of child-bearing age,then the marriage may just work out!
I've seen couples in Luxor/Hurghada,Egptian man and European woman,with baby in tow!
This MAY just work!Are you one of the lucky ones?

Or..are you just in denial?

Wish you well whatever.x
According to her side bar she is 58, so I think that boat is far to far down the Nile now, but good on you if its working out.
Glyphdoctor wrote:At least one always has to come out of the woodwork when articles like these are posted and start shouting "MMD! MMD!" On the L4U FB group, this seems to even be more common than here. It even happens on posts that have no direct connection to relationships. There just seem to be some women who periodically feel the need to declare the validity of their relationship to the world. It must really suck to have such nagging feelings inside you all the time that lead to such outbursts.

And yeah, I know someone is going to say I said on another thread I said I USED to be on FB so why am I talking like I am now. I used to have a personal account I used to post and interact with others. but now I just use a different account for reading only. I never post anymore. Just to clear things up before I get asked.
Yes indeed, but when the likes of I post concerning my very happy and contented life with my friend, you use the words like, ''talking about things no one has asked about,'' or ''you should not talk about your friend on here,'' or ''she should think about what she is doing, visiting a male European in his home'' without knowing the full facts. Or ''I have no interest in entering a debate about your friend'' when that had nothing to do with my post, just an assumption by you, so it is understandable why most married happily to Egyptians do not speak about their relationships because you, and maybe others, consider such things sacrosanct and not open for debate. That is fine to have that opinion, but not fine to attempt to force it onto others by producing the guilt prod.

You will always get the unhappy ones commenting on how bad their particular M was because they now have taken the proverbial axe from his head and are re-grinding it for the next one.

You say that you have deleted your old FB account and now only trawl the pages reading what others have posted, like the time you viewed my pages and photo's, either by your own hand or passed over to you by others, it is still a form of voyeurism. Going off the links that you post you seem to spend a great deal of your time trawling, or should that be trolling the net, a gatherer of information.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Glyphdoctor »

You know what Dusak, let me get this straight, I really don't give a damn about YOU, specifically YOU, at all. If you are happy, if you are sad, it doesn't concern me one way or another how you live your life. What you do is not of interest to me. I don't go out of my way to find out things about you. But the more you talk about yourself all over the place the more one can unintentionally stumble across something without looking for it.

But I am not going to contribute in any way to encouraging you to do something that could put an INNOCENT person in danger and that is what I assume in this case, innocence, which is why I find your blabbering on so stomach-churningly disturbing. That includes encouraging you to reveal things that could be interpreted correctly OR INCORRECTLY. I don't know what goes on behind your closed doors and frankly it's not my right to know. But danger doesn't only come from what you do, but from what people might wrongly assume you do.

That's reality. It's just how things are. You don't like it, well I don't have a magic wand to change it. Sorry.

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5944
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5920 times
Been thanked: 7389 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: More Egyptian men marry older foreign women

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:You know what Dusak, let me get this straight, I really don't give a damn about YOU, specifically YOU, at all. If you are happy, if you are sad, it doesn't concern me one way or another how you live your life. What you do is not of interest to me. I don't go out of my way to find out things about you. But the more you talk about yourself all over the place the more one can unintentionally stumble across something without looking for it.

But I am not going to contribute in any way to encouraging you to do something that could put an INNOCENT person in danger and that is what I assume in this case, innocence, which is why I find your blabbering on so stomach-churningly disturbing. That includes encouraging you to reveal things that could be interpreted correctly OR INCORRECTLY. I don't know what goes on behind your closed doors and frankly it's not my right to know. But danger doesn't only come from what you do, but from what people might wrongly assume you do.

That's reality. It's just how things are. You don't like it, well I don't have a magic wand to change it. Sorry.
I never suggested that you did, nor would I want your concern. Nor would I want to you to change any aspect of my life, I can do that without your interference thank you. I live my own life and live by the decisions I take. I do not talk about myself all over the place, I discuss my life, or to the degree I want to, on here. Very rarely do I enter into discussions on my FB page. I am not on any other sites. It is my choice as to whether I talk about my life on here, as it is yours, and others, to read them or not. What I do not like about you is your condescending know it all attitude that you project towards certain posters.

I read out all your comments to my friend, I will not bore you with her responses apart from that she now no longer wishes me to relay any information or topics of interest on here that relates to her life and experiences just so you can put your preachers hat on.

You can live with your misconceived presumptions and guesswork, you can seek out whatever information concerning anything you wish as that is your right, but do not attempt to force feed me and others with your 'do right' comments. Your comment about closed doors I find quite sickening to read, because knowing your mindset, that would be an attempt to lead others to believe that something unacceptable was taking place. If the locals that know us both really thought that, we would of had our heads cut off several years ago. Like I have said in the past in my stomach churning regularity, the people that know me here are far too intelligent and know us both too well to think on the same base level as you seen to do. From this point I will no longer acknowledge you as someone that I wish to converse with on here as you are a complete and utter sad waste of the typing space. I just hope that God knows that there is a contender for his seat.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Egyptian men marry much older foreign women !!
    by cavanagh » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:54 am » in Living in Luxor
    78 Replies
    2039 Views
    Last post by Scottishtourist
    Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:04 am
  • Marriages between Egyptian men and foreign women on the rise
    by Janen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:10 pm » in Intercultural relationships
    7 Replies
    320 Views
    Last post by Glyphdoctor
    Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm
  • So you Wanna Marry an Egyptian Man?
    by HEPZIBAH » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:10 pm » in Women's Talk
    1 Replies
    110 Views
    Last post by LovelyLadyLux
    Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 am
  • Heated debate over Egyptian airports getting foreign inspect
    by DJKeefy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:39 pm » in News and Sport
    9 Replies
    656 Views
    Last post by Brian Yare
    Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:49 pm
  • First Egyptian Women
    by jewel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:25 pm » in Women's Talk
    1 Replies
    49 Views
    Last post by FABlux
    Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:36 pm