Coming to Luxor

A place for new members to tell the forum members a little bit about themselves and their interest in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DIANA

Coming to Luxor

Post by DIANA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:23 am

Hi,
I have been to Egypt before but only as a regular tourist. I have now caught the serious study bug and joined the EES. I am coming to the Luxor Conference in March and looking forward to it very much. But I am rather worried at the exchange rate which seems to be falling by the day. I am now thinking that perhaps it would be better to change the bulk of my money when I get there. Does anyone know the current rate of exchange in Egypt for Pounds Sterling?
Regards Diana :)

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 am

Welcome to the forum Diana.

It floats a bit but normally a bit over 8LE to the £. Currently 8.23. A lot better than the UK rate I believe, I would certainly recommend changing it here :)

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:05 pm

A warm welcome to L4U Diana.
Where did you hear about the EES conference in Luxor? I have checked their website and can find no mention of any events for 2009!

Ah, think I have tracked it down is it this?

LEGEND CONFERENCE, LUXOR: FROM NARMER TO NECTANEBO: KINGSHIP IN UPPER EGYPT 18th to 25th March

Edit to add detail
Last edited by BBLUX on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Karenh

Post by Karenh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Welcome Diana and I hope you enjoy this forum. When I was in Marsa Alam in December we were getting 8.4LE to £1 but at home we only gat 6.75Le to the £1 ~ much better to wait till your in Luxor. Even in August when we were there we were getting around 2LE more per £1 thasn at home.
A day without laughter is a day wasted

Luxormad

Post by Luxormad » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Hello Diana :hi2:
And Welcome :)
Just take some money with you :)
and change it when you get there :)

Annekg

Post by Annekg » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:29 pm

Welcome to the forum Diana. Most people will probably tell you the same in that it is usually always better to change your money in Luxor rather than doing it in the UK. Hope you have a great time in March :)

DIANA

Post by DIANA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks to all of you for your welcome.
Yes BBLUX it is indeed the Legend Conference I am attending not the EES. Sounds like an interesting line up of speakers and excursions.
I believe Luxor is in the process of a makeover and not all of it is popular with the locals. It's two years since my last visit and I expect I shall see some changes.
I shall take all of your advice and change my money in Egypt. The exchange rate here was 6.76 LE today Eeeek!
:)

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:31 pm

After 2 years you will certainly see some big changes.
The changes are certainly being met with mixed feelings here.
Exchange rate here is around 8.23 LE today so rather better than in UK/

As an aside, I was born in Broxbourne and spent my first 5 years in Hunsdon and Hertford Heath!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

frances

Post by frances » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi Diana. Welcome to the forum and have a great time in March. Me and my other half used to live in Hemel Hempstead

Kiya

Post by Kiya » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi & Welcome Diana :)
[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]

DIANA

Post by DIANA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Yes it's a small world. I live in Harpenden so I know Hemel pretty well Frances. Broxborne and Hertford Heath are familiar to me as well.
Re the Conference location BBLUX - we have been transferred from the Sheraton to the Sofitel Karnak due to delayed refurbishing work (no supprise there then.) I've never stayed there before, can anyone recommend it. Also just how far is it out of Luxor center, is it walkable?

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Ah, the Sofitel Karnak is a long way out to the north so walking would not be an option. I believe the hotel does provide a shuttle service but don't know its frequency. They also have a motor boat which runs up and down the river. I think you will need to use taxi's to get into town. Where is the conference venue?
Have a search for threads on the Sofitel Karnak as it has been discussed before.

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:18 pm

The Sofitel Karnak is a long way out and is not really walkable. The shuttle bus and boat run quite infrequently and only during the day, so you will need a taxi. Or the other alternative is catching the local bus which passes the hotel. These have a yellow stripe along the side. I never caught that colour one into town, so I do not know what route they do. I used to get a blue bus from Karnak, near the Hilton, which always went along the corniche for a bit, then turned left near the Police hotel/club then along the Karnak road (I think it is called) then along the road with Luxor temple on your right hand side, then turning off left just before Sindbads.
I had friends who stopped there just before christmas. They found it quite expensive to eat and drink in, but then that is the same with most hotels isn't it?
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

DIANA

Sofitel into Luxor

Post by DIANA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Thank you BBLUX and Lisak. It would appear that taking a taxi will be the only option in the evenings. The conference is being held in the Pavilion so I guess that it is all part of the hotel.
I will have a look on the Sofitel threads.
Regards Diana

sue

Post by sue » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Welcome to the forum, I enjoyed my stay at the Sofitel but it is a bit way out as has already been said. I took the motor boat into Luxor a couple of times during the day, it has set times when it leaves and you need to book and get a ticket from the central booth where you would collect a towel for the swimming pool. I think it run's into Luxor twice in the morning and around 3pm in the afternoon. The shuttle bus runs on the hour during the day into Luxor.
I tended to use the transport out of the hotel but get taxis back unless I wanted to leave at an obscure time.
I only ate breakfast there which I found quite reasonable all other meals I had away from the hotel as prefer to eat at the local venues. The closest venue to the Sofitel is Gerdas Garden where you can get an excellent meal, it is almost opposite the entrance to the Hilton in Karnak, so just up the road from the Sofitel.

DIANA

Post by DIANA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks Sue,
That's really useful to know. I've never stayed at that end of Luxor before so it's good to know that there are good places to eat if we don't feel like going all the way into central Luxor or eating at the hotel. I have heard other people mention Gerda's Garden but hadn't realised it was so close to where we are staying.
:D

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Yes, Gerda's Garden is probably within walking distance but on a busy rather boring road I think. I can definitely recommend a visit or two to Gerda's. There is also the new JJ's just across the road down a side street and also nearby is Genesis which is a fairly noisy sport bar type restaraunt.We usually go to Gerda's on a Saturday evening after the MM lectures.

DIANA

Post by DIANA » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks BBLUX
It's always good to have some recommendations from the locals. I will add the other two to my list.

drwho

Post by drwho » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:33 pm

Soooowhats the conference all about, obviously Egypt but what?.....8)
ps, can we sneak in if were lounging round the bar wearing Hawass archeology hats looking cool,,,

DIANA

Post by DIANA » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Well Dr Who, it's been given the title Narmer to Nectanebo. Kingship in Upper Egypt, so I would guess it covers quite a lot of ground.
I know Dr Sabri is opening the conference but I don't think Hawass is putting in an apperance, with or without silly hat! lol
The Brocks are also coming, Dillan Biggestaff and David Rohl. So it should be interesting. There are visits to the Eastern Desert and Abydos, neither of which I have been to. There is also a walk over the Meretsager so I am bringing my walking pole.

:roll: