Hi

A place for new members to tell the forum members a little bit about themselves and their interest in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Barb

Hi

Post by Barb » Sat May 21, 2011 9:46 am

Hi all I am Kiya (not my real name), 52 years old, from London. I recently moved to Luxor after coming here for holidays many times. I was a social worker in England until my numbers came up on the lottery, not millions but enough to live comfortably. I decided to rent out my house long term, which gives me a regular income and give Luxor a try. I am renting a flat in karnak at the moment until I make sure that this is the place that I should be and then I will see about buying my own place and settling here permanently. I was thinking about volunteering to work for a charity or some other organisation to pass the time so if anyone knows of anyone that needs any help then please let me know. Nice to meet you all. :oops:

Christine

Post by Christine » Sat May 21, 2011 11:06 am

Hello Kiya124, welcome to the forum :)
Im sure you will enjoy youre time on here, and you should find voluntary work in Luxor easily enough so good luck with that :D
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in x

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat May 21, 2011 11:40 am

Lucky you! And sensible you with your careful plans. :)

If you want to work with children, ask at the Sunshine Orphanage, they might be interested. You can work with donkeys at Animal Welfare of Luxor, or with animals in general at ACE.
;)
Carpe diem! :le:

Barb

Post by Barb » Sat May 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks both. :D

Barb

Post by Barb » Sat May 21, 2011 2:32 pm

I would rather work with children than animals. I will contact the sunshine and see if they need anyone. I also heard about one called little stars. Do you know about this one?

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sat May 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!!!!

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Sat May 21, 2011 6:48 pm

The Sunshine is probably the best known here. The Smile charity in Gezira on the West Bank run a day centre for children with disabilities from the surrounding villages. They have volunteer physios and speech therapists helping out but the activities are severely curtailed at the moment by a funding crisis.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat May 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Ah yes, I knew there was another children's one, was trying to remember the name of Smile!
Carpe diem! :le:

Azurite

Post by Azurite » Sat May 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Welcome indeed !!!!

Well done you as well, a brave move and I hope you have a fabulous time. Keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on, there are some very nice sounding people on this forum and I'm sure that they will give you any advice you might need.

I often feel very jealous when they describe visiting places on a daily basis that I would love to do and now you have that chance also.

Enjoy !!!!

P.S. Teddyboy sounds like he might want to perhaps meet up for a welcome drink ??? and some of the others too ??? that would be nice for you. :)

Barb

Post by Barb » Sun May 22, 2011 8:10 am

Ok thanks. Does anyone know telephone numbers or email addresses for them please? What do you mean by bogus lot?

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun May 22, 2011 8:13 am

Im sure if someone wants to get in touch with you Kiya124 then they will do through the Private Message system on here.

Barb

Post by Barb » Sun May 22, 2011 9:35 am

Ok no problem djkeefy. I will try and find the numbers myself.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun May 22, 2011 11:05 am

I hope you dont think I said that in a bad way, the rules state about posting private telephone numbers on the forum, so people will use the PM system to give you their numbers if they want. :)

Barb

Post by Barb » Sun May 22, 2011 2:31 pm

no its not a problem at all. Im sure I will find the numbers, maybe on facebook or I will find out if they have websites.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun May 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Hmmmm 8)

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Sun May 22, 2011 3:10 pm

DJKeefy wrote:Hmmmm 8)
Hmmm indeedy :lol: :roll:

Kymmy

Hmmm

Post by Kymmy » Sun May 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Well Kiya just becareful who you tell about your luck on the lotto, if as you say you have been coming for a while then you will also have some knowledge about certain things and the way of life here.
Where did your work for the social services i worked in Leeds for social services homeslless prevenntion and eventually the police.

Use your own jusdgement be careful and of course you are not new to luxor its not your first time here other wise you wouldnt have made the move.
As a newby myself we have alot in common yes lets share our experiences xxxxxx

Kymmy

Post by Kymmy » Sun May 22, 2011 3:50 pm

ps
If you have been coming for many times have not heard of the charities here in luxor :(

Barb

Post by Barb » Sun May 22, 2011 4:09 pm

As I said it wasnt millions Kymmy just enough to live comfortably and its safely in the bank. I worked for Westminster council in London as a social worker. I never really took much notice of the charities here before as I was only here to relax away from a stressful job but thought I would look in to it now I have time on my hands.
Did I say something wrong djkeefy? Im sorry if I dont seem to fit in on here but Im new to this sort of thing.

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Hmmm

Post by JOJO » Sun May 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Kymmy wrote:Well Kiya just becareful who you tell about your luck on the lotto, if as you say you have been coming for a while then you will also have some knowledge about certain things and the way of life here.
Where did your work for the social services i worked in Leeds for social
I thought exactly the same thing Kymmy...you'll have 'em flocking around you like flies around ****....and that's not the Egyptians! ;)