Egypt’s Warm Welcome to Foreigners Goes Cold

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Egypt’s Warm Welcome to Foreigners Goes Cold

Post by Winged Isis »

Egypt’s Warm Welcome to Foreigners Goes Cold!

Sep - 24

In a sudden, hush-hush rule; not explained by any of the visa officials; all (and we mean ALL) foreigners in Egypt now must leave the country after maximum of six-month stay, with no guarantee to be allowed back to the country. This includes even the foreign mothers who have kids and stable homes across the country!!

Many foreigners have married Egyptians and have children here. Also a large number of foreign couples got their families settled here. And they all must now leave every six month, stay out of Egypt a minimum of two days, then go to the Visa office and pay for a new Visa; whether they will be permitted the new Visa or not is open to question.
The new rule means them leaving their homes for a minimum 3-day trip. In the case of a family where one parent is Egyptian, there’s the trouble of finding care for the children while the foreign parent is away. If both parents are foreign, it means taking the whole family out of Egypt (including the kids who might be school-enrolled).. not to mention finding care for any pets the family might have had. And all of this is not for one time, but it’s on every 6 months!!!
To leave Egypt every six months will cost a minimum of 10,000LE for a single person, and much more for a family, when previously you only had to go to the Visa office and pay just under 100LE for up to 12 months Visa. Why is this a problem? All foreigners are rich and can afford to come in and out of Egypt, can’t they? No. Not everyone can afford to leave every six months and return, there is a misconception that all foreigners have a lot of money. Many live like average Egyptians, and some foreigners are what would be considered poor even by Egyptian standards. For all foreigners; there is the risk that if you are not permitted to re-enter the country, you have left your home and maybe your husband and children in Egypt, and have no easy option to be with them again.

You may think – “So what? Who needs foreigners anyway?”
Foreigners who stay here are here because they like Egypt, they encourage other foreigners to visit Egypt and this supports the tourism industry. That industry remains, despite hard times, a core industry for Egypt.
If it becomes impossible for foreigners to stay long-term, as these new rules imply for many due to the expense and risk of not being permitted to stay, Egypt will lose an enormous amount of good will. It will lose all those resident foreigners telling their friends to come visit and see Egypt.
Also keep in mind that foreigners, even those who live on very little, are putting money into the economy and sustaining and creating jobs for Egyptians. Not only does their money create jobs in tourism, but in everyday areas – they use markets, banks, hairdressers. They buy food, clothes, furniture. They rent houses, use taxis, go to doctors and dentists – all the services used by a born-in-Egypt. They give tips and baksheesh, even for services they would not pay tips for in their own countries. They often have to pay higher prices than Egyptians, simply because they are foreigners. They grumble sometimes about that, but it is part of the price they pay for being a guest in Egypt.
Visa offices couldn’t give any reason for these changes. The authorities may see this change as necessary for national security; and believe there is a need to do security checks on all foreigners, and closely monitor their movement by getting them out of the country every six months. But how many foreigners do you know that you would consider dangerous to Egypt? The foreign grandmothers and grandfathers who come to enjoy long stays during their retirement? The young families who have their children in schools here and lead a normal, settled life? Are those a security risk?

Many of these people are the best possible advertising voice for Egypt. At a time when international media and the governments of many countries mark Egypt out as being “unsafe to travel”; they live here, they love their Egyptian friends and families, they show the world that thousands from many different countries are here having normal, safe lives. They send home and to the world via TripAdvisor, Facebook and other social media beautiful images of Egypt. They do much more than the Egyptian government’s planned multi-million-dollar advertising campaign can ever do to encourage people to see Egypt differently, in a positive light.
The Visa office staff just follow orders when they tell those foreigners that they must leave. The authorities don’t see or simply don’t care about the financial difficulties and heartache this will cause. Those who cannot afford to leave the country every six months are now faced with leaving forever. That leaves them with a very sad feeling toward Egypt, not the love they have had for this country and its people until this month.

We hope the government could hear the sounds of hearts breaking from this decision, and be touched by that thunderous sound to change the rules again. Because right now, there are many foreign hearts breaking as they think of leaving Egypt, the country that once felt like home!

http://magnificentonline.com/3250/egypt ... goes-cold/

Carpe diem! :le:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Egypt’s Warm Welcome to Foreigners Goes Cold

Post by carrie »

I think it would be a good idea for someone or a group to go and see the Governor to ask him to clarify things.
Linda

Post by Linda »

I agree Carrie or to Mr Ghaddis maybe he could share some light on things too as he used to work for the Embassy and must have some contacts there still :le: :le: :le:
All good things comes In little packages - Even diamonds.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I don't want to speak with certainty here, but I would suspect what is being talked about here is only foreigners on tourist visas.

A foreigner with a properly done marriage I would strongly suspect is still able to stay indefinitely as long as they renew their spouse visa. No need for burdens on families with that.

A foreigner with a work permit too has their visa for up to a year and if renewed I strongly suspect they would not need to leave the country.

A foreigner who has any one of a few other possible non-tourist visas I would suspect would also not be affected by this.

Even though this person says it applies to "ALL", this article is not written as if it were written by a real journalist who knows how to check their facts and rather sounds like the whining of an orfi wife who knows no one who has done it the proper way. Just my feeling about this.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I gave you a like Winged Isis as your well written post contained many of my own sentiments about living here. However, I do not like the idea of having to leave the country every six months. Financially I could just about afford it but I would have to search Google earth in an attempt to spot a homely looking park bench within walking distance of the airport that I could acquire for the duration. :lol:

If it be true or not, we would all have to accept it and the problems it gives. All I would say that if true, it would be a very silly money loosing move on Egypt's part. :(
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Just came across this, the 23rd 0f Septembers 2015 HSBC survey of the top 39 places to be an expat. As you will see, Egypt ranks 37th.

Singapore Group: top Your criteria rank: 1 Your criteria score: 0.56 All criteria rank: 1 All criteria score: 0.56

New Zealand Group: top Your criteria rank: 2 Your criteria score: 0.56 All criteria rank: 2 All criteria score: 0.56

Sweden Group: top Your criteria rank: 3 Your criteria score: 0.52 All criteria rank: 3 All criteria score: 0.52

Bahrain Group: top Your criteria rank: 4 Your criteria score: 0.51 All criteria rank: 4 All criteria score: 0.51

Germany Group: top Your criteria rank: 5 Your criteria score: 0.51 All criteria rank: 5 All criteria score: 0.51

Canada Group: top Your criteria rank: 6 Your criteria score: 0.50 All criteria rank: 6 All criteria score: 0.50

Australia Group: top Your criteria rank: 7 Your criteria score: 0.49 All criteria rank: 7 All criteria score: 0.49

Taiwan Group: top Your criteria rank: 8 Your criteria score: 0.48 All criteria rank: 8 All criteria score: 0.48

United Arab Emirates Group: middle Your criteria rank: 9 Your criteria score: 0.47 All criteria rank: 9 All criteria score: 0.47

Switzerland Group: middle Your criteria rank: 10 Your criteria score: 0.47 All criteria rank: 10 All criteria score: 0.47

Hong Kong Group: middle Your criteria rank: 11 Your criteria score: 0.47 All criteria rank: 11 All criteria score: 0.47

Netherlands Group: middle Your criteria rank: 12 Your criteria score: 0.46 All criteria rank: 12 All criteria score: 0.46

Spain Group: middle Your criteria rank: 13 Your criteria score: 0.46 All criteria rank: 13 All criteria score: 0.46

Oman Group: middle Your criteria rank: 14 Your criteria score: 0.46 All criteria rank: 14 All criteria score: 0.46

Russia Group: middle Your criteria rank: 15 Your criteria score: 0.45 All criteria rank: 15 All criteria score: 0.45

United States Group: middle Your criteria rank: 16 Your criteria score: 0.45 All criteria rank: 16 All criteria score: 0.45

India Group: middle Your criteria rank: 17 Your criteria score: 0.44 All criteria rank: 17 All criteria score: 0.44

Czech Republic Group: middle Your criteria rank: 18 Your criteria score: 0.44 All criteria rank: 18 All criteria score: 0.44

Mexico Group: middle Your criteria rank: 19 Your criteria score: 0.43 All criteria rank: 19 All criteria score: 0.43

Malaysia Group: middle Your criteria rank: 20 Your criteria score: 0.43 All criteria rank: 20 All criteria score: 0.43

Thailand Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 21 Your criteria score: 0.42 All criteria rank: 21 All criteria score: 0.42

Qatar Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 22 Your criteria score: 0.42 All criteria rank: 22 All criteria score: 0.42

United Kingdom Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 23 Your criteria score: 0.42 All criteria rank: 23 All criteria score: 0.42

Japan Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 24 Your criteria score: 0.41 All criteria rank: 24 All criteria score: 0.41

Vietnam Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 25 Your criteria score: 0.41 All criteria rank: 25 All criteria score: 0.41

Saudi Arabia Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 26 Your criteria score: 0.41 All criteria rank: 26 All criteria score: 0.41

China Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 27 Your criteria score: 0.41 All criteria rank: 27 All criteria score: 0.41

Philippines Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 28 Your criteria score: 0.41 All criteria rank: 28 All criteria score: 0.41

France Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 29 Your criteria score: 0.41 All criteria rank: 29 All criteria score: 0.41

Belgium Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 30 Your criteria score: 0.40 All criteria rank: 30 All criteria score: 0.40

Ireland Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 31 Your criteria score: 0.38 All criteria rank: 31 All criteria score: 0.38

South Africa Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 32 Your criteria score: 0.38 All criteria rank: 32 All criteria score: 0.38

Indonesia Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 33 Your criteria score: 0.37 All criteria rank: 33 All criteria score: 0.37

Kuwait Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 34 Your criteria score: 0.35 All criteria rank: 34 All criteria score: 0.35

Argentina Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 35 Your criteria score: 0.34 All criteria rank: 35 All criteria score: 0.34

Turkey Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 36 Your criteria score: 0.34 All criteria rank: 36 All criteria score: 0.34

Egypt Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 37 Your criteria score: 0.33 All criteria rank: 37 All criteria score: 0.33

Italy Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 38 Your criteria score: 0.33 All criteria rank: 38 All criteria score: 0.33

Brazil Group: bottom Your criteria rank: 39 Your criteria score: 0.32 All criteria rank: 39 All criteria score: 0.32

The lists of criteria that produced these results are quite extensive so if you wish to view them you would have to log onto:- HSBC 2015 EXPAT SURVEY.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I read this article quite a few days ago, but decided against publishing it on here or commenting.

Well to be honest, this could be the beginning of the end.
I have watched this Government dither and dather for years.
It's been fairly obvious that they do-not want our money, I have invested well over £100,OOO GBP tried to gain residency bought and rebuilt a derelict house all to what avail ?
Are us ex-pats going to speak favourably about holidaying in Egypt, one doubts it. Can I afford to return to Blighty every 6 months ?
of course I can, it's the cost to me living in the most visited City in the World.
Oh! well the World's a big place, if I did it here I can do it anywhere.
I just enjoyed the 'struggles and battles that this Country constantly throws at one, but unless the change their view which seems normal then the writing is on the Wall.... :cool:
Ps: I have business friends here who have also had to jump through hurdles over the years who also see themselves departing.
"Shame on this short sighted Government.
phpBB [video]

Interestingly! the school kids singing are also from Islington Green.
I suppose everything must eventually return the source of their arising.

Quote: "We hope the government could hear the sounds of hearts breaking from this decision, and be touched by that thunderous sound to change the rules again. Because right now, there are many foreign hearts breaking as they think of leaving Egypt, the country that once felt like home!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

If there is indeed a new practice requiring departure at least six monthly it would only affect a very small proportion of the "resident tourists"......those who never leave fron one year to the next.

Another bit of tedium to contend with but otherwise a storm in a teacup.

And I don't see those that have semi-settled here upping sticks and leaving permanently.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Regarding Mr Gaddis whom I believe is still Her Majesties Honorary Consulate here, he should be haranguing and petitioning the Government constantly else what good is he ?
He has never rated highly on my calendar as a representative albeit not an Englishman... :cool:
Quote: And I don't see those that have semi-settled here upping sticks and leaving permanently.
"Really ? then you haven't seen them already leaving in their droves..
Sophocles.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I would imagine its a rule that will be used with discretion, ie, if they want you out they will produce the rule, smile pleasantly and tell you things have changed. Not to worry, pop home for a week and come back.... to be denied entry. There are people they will deem undesirable and they can be shoe horned out of Egypt with little fuss and commotion, as it is after all a new rule. There are plenty of ex pats who go about their daily business who cause no harm to Egypt, or cause concern to the police. I would hazard a guess, their visas will be renewed without any problems.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Since the Arab spring, there may be one or 2 things that seem to have gone unnoticed.

Not being able to see the woods for the tree's metaphorically speaking, is one example.

Exodus, what Exodus ? :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:Regarding Mr Gaddis whom I believe is still Her Majesties Honorary Consulate here, he should be haranguing and petitioning the Government constantly else what good is he ?
He has never rated highly on my calendar as a representative albeit not an Englishman... :cool:
Quote: And I don't see those that have semi-settled here upping sticks and leaving permanently.
"Really ? then you haven't seen them already leaving in their droves..
Obviously those that have left had second sight?

I think not.

They left for reasons unconnected with this latest restriction
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Robbo70 wrote:I would imagine its a rule that will be used with discretion, ie, if they want you out they will produce the rule, smile pleasantly and tell you things have changed. Not to worry, pop home for a week and come back.... to be denied entry. There are people they will deem undesirable and they can be shoe horned out of Egypt with little fuss and commotion, as it is after all a new rule. There are plenty of ex pats who go about their daily business who cause no harm to Egypt, or cause concern to the police. I would hazard a guess, their visas will be renewed without any problems.

That wouldn't surprise me at all Robbo.

And if the term undesirable applies to anyone who has criticised the government or the army, or maybe Egypt in general, on this forum......

:)))
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Mr Ghaddis is not the Hon British Consul anymore and hasn't been for a number of years, there is one in Sharm and Alex but not here, I have emailed the embassy to ask what the situation is but doubt if I will get a sensible reply.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

The original article for this thread comes from a source that was unknown to me, and may not be reliable.

Does anyone have a different source, probably in Arabic?

So long as the terms of the Single and Multi-trip visas are not changed I am not directly affected by the reported changes, but know others who would be.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Of course it's not the latest restrictions/hurdle to jump through it's just another little brick out of the wall, they mount up you know ?
Try running a business here, I know of only 1 successful Hotel here and they don't cater to tourists ..
Ps: I thought that they gave him an honorary honorary if you get my drift.
So perhaps I should apply, my offices will be in the Royal Bar 12-1500hrs daily.
Ps: I'll forget about the white Rolls Royce but already I have a rather nice Retro white linen suit!
Pss: Perhaps I could spray a 'tuk-tuk up white and pretend it's a miniature pope mobile, cheap.... "Vote for me!.... :cool:
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I hear they are no longer issuing reentry visas as well.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

They've built a highway to Sudan now so you could just take a long weekend in Wadi Halfa and drive back...
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

My friend did say to me a long time ago, "The lights are going out over kmt".. She was right...
But, as I say.. Ne dis jamais jamais :wi
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:They've built a highway to Sudan now so you could just take a long weekend in Wadi Halfa and drive back...
And if they refuse you reentry.......well, Sudan's a delightful place for a vacation.