First time flying with the new regulations

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: First time flying with the new regulations

Post by newcastle »

Bombay wrote:
Who2 wrote:It's the airport staff that worried all these Countries not individual flyers.
And until that is beefed up they can forget the Russians et al flocking back.... 8)
I understand the Russians are installing bio metric scanners for airport staff due to these concerns.
Personally I think they should allow foreign security to work with Egyptian security for "training" until tourist confidence returns.
Probably a sensible idea....although it might be difficult for "Egyptian pride" to swallow.

They seem reluctant to admit that their staff are in any way deficient.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:Fablux wrote "Was very impressed by the security at the airport. Really geared up for the new regs, huge numbers of staff, tables to open cases on etc. Wish they had told you in advance they needed to physically check the kindles, laptops etc because like everybody else who knew they were packed in the middle of the case for maximum protection then had to find the dammed things and get them out for swabbing for explosives. Then they note passport number in book to show ok then say "Put back in case not hand luggage."

Im probably being a bit dim but I really dont understand.(Possibly a combined senior moment/blonde moment, you'll have to forgive me) But .... If items have been taken out of the hold luggage, and scanned and found to be perfectly ok, why do you have to put them back in the hold, why cant you take them on board if theyve been passed?
It's a good question but, in practice, it wouldn't be possible to swab each and every laptop, tablet, camera etc taken by typical passengers on a flight these days. Can you imagine the delays?

The swabbing of these items at check in is by no mean comprehensive and maybe they feel that to allow some passengers to carry them in the cabin, whilst others have theirs consigned to the hold, would cause more fuss than it's worth.

I do wonder why they bother swabbing them at all if they are going in the hold...unless they lack confidence in their hold baggage scanning procedures.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Flights from Egypt come under the new regulations but what about flights from elsewhere with passengers that originated in Egypt. Friends of mine fly often from Luxor to Schiphol then on to Newcastle. They could take their laptops etc in their hold baggage (at the moment) and then transfer to the new flight.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Flights from Egypt come under the new regulations but what about flights from elsewhere with passengers that originated in Egypt. Friends of mine fly often from Luxor to Schiphol then on to Newcastle. They could take their laptops etc in their hold baggage (at the moment) and then transfer to the new flight.
As I understand it, the rules apply to "last airport of departure" so your friends should be able to take their laptops in hand luggage all the way through....there being no restrictions on flights from Luxor to Schiphol.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Bombay wrote:Yes I found the security very good both in Luxor and Cairo. Only downside was the time it took to go through from domestic to international at Cairo due to full security before immigration.

Very impressed with the terminal in Cairo. Brought a couple of Chives Regal miniatures in duty free for the flight no problem in a sealed clear bag for security at gate.
If this was an Egypt air flight, did you have to slurp them in private in the loo? :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:
Bombay wrote:Yes I found the security very good both in Luxor and Cairo. Only downside was the time it took to go through from domestic to international at Cairo due to full security before immigration.

Very impressed with the terminal in Cairo. Brought a couple of Chives Regal miniatures in duty free for the flight no problem in a sealed clear bag for security at gate.
If this was an Egypt air flight, did you have to slurp them in private in the loo? :lol:
Although Egyptair don't serve alcohol on board, I believe they are quite relaxed about passengers consuming their own.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Try doing that if sat in the middle seat with a big Muslim Mullah each side of you. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

No problem and don't sit between mullers just use common sense and be descret
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

newcastle wrote:
hatusu wrote:Fablux wrote "Was very impressed by the security at the airport. Really geared up for the new regs, huge numbers of staff, tables to open cases on etc. Wish they had told you in advance they needed to physically check the kindles, laptops etc because like everybody else who knew they were packed in the middle of the case for maximum protection then had to find the dammed things and get them out for swabbing for explosives. Then they note passport number in book to show ok then say "Put back in case not hand luggage."

Im probably being a bit dim but I really dont understand.(Possibly a combined senior moment/blonde moment, you'll have to forgive me) But .... If items have been taken out of the hold luggage, and scanned and found to be perfectly ok, why do you have to put them back in the hold, why cant you take them on board if theyve been passed?
It's a good question but, in practice, it wouldn't be possible to swab each and every laptop, tablet, camera etc taken by typical passengers on a flight these days. Can you imagine the delays?

The swabbing of these items at check in is by no mean comprehensive and maybe they feel that to allow some passengers to carry them in the cabin, whilst others have theirs consigned to the hold, would cause more fuss than it's worth.

I do wonder why they bother swabbing them at all if they are going in the hold...unless they lack confidence in their hold baggage scanning procedures.
They weren't swabbing anything before check-in just making sure all banned items were in hold luggage before it was to late.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

FABlux wrote:
.... had to find the dammed things and get them out for swabbing for explosives.
Bombay wrote:
They weren't swabbing anything before check-in just making sure all banned items were in hold luggage before it was to late.

Maybe FABlux was mistaken....and they just went through the scanner separately. I don't know...I wasn't there. :ct
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:
Now that I think about it...the answer's obvious.

The airlines have told passengers that these items MUST go in hold....so that's it.!

Doesn't matter if they've been scanned, sniffed, swabbed, taken apart and put through a liquidiser, or vaporised...........THEY GO IN THE HOLD :vs
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Normal procedure is that carry on hand luggage goes through the scanner, it is not swabbed unless they suspect something in the contents and need to verify it. The scanning and physical pat downs is to ensure that the electronic items and other banned substances are not in your hand luggage. It is then a different procedure for hold luggage which will now contain the said electrical items and all these cases are subjected to swabbing and sniffer dogs. (or should be :urm: )
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Pretty intensive at Hurghada airport

LATEST NEWS FROM HURGHADA AIRPORT
We arrived at the airport about 20 minutes before the usual 3 hours before departure time. We had to wait outside along with about 20 others who were waiting for the Manchester and Gatwick Thomas Cook flights.
We were frisked after we had placed all our cases and bags etc into the scanner.
We had placed all our electronic/electric devices including photographic equipment in our cases. Unfortunately at the first security scan, the security guys wanted to see our ipad/tablets. We had to open our cases and dig both tablets out. They wanted to see them working so we had to switch them on and show them. They didn't seem interested in anything else but the Ipad/tablets. They were very patient and pleasant while they waited because as you could see by our earlier photo, our cases were wrapped in cling film and luggage straps & combination locks on the zips. They were also buried in the middle of everything else and protected by bubble wrap.
From there we entered the Check in Hall where we re-applied the straps and re-wrapped them in cling film again from the roll Chris had in her cabin bag.
When we got to the Check in desks No 4/5B the Check in guy asked us if we had any electronic items in our cabin bags. He asked to see our phones and used a size template to check the dimensions. All ok.
Short queue at passport control where the departure cards were taken.
Next security scan cabin bags were scanned again and we had to remove shoes and watches and all items from pockets. We were then frisked again. No issues with the bags but the guy asked me if I had a camera in my bag as he must have seen my lenses for one of my cameras in the bag.
Our boarding cards were checked again and then another guy checked them again and stamped them.
We are boarding at Gate 41 and then we came to the next security check where all the items in my cabin bag were checked and I explained all the shoes I was carrying was to make room for the electronic devices in the cases :-) They checked everything very thoroughly, I had both my own and Chris phones in my pockets and he wanted to see them all work. He removed my lenses from their protective cases and looked at them. I had taken my memory cards out of my cameras and put them in a very small container with bubble wrap to protect them, so if my cameras get stolen or damaged on their way home, we still have our memories.
They also took swabs from my my hands, trainers, phones and cabin bag.
He then very kindly re-packed my bag for me, apologised and passed me to the next guy where I had to empty my pockets again and was given a very thorough frisking again.
Now at the gate waiting to board, it took approx 70 minutes from entering the airport to sitting down at the gate in the departure lounge.
All security staff were very polite, firm but courteous and are just doing their jobs. Just go with the flow, relax be organised and you should be fine
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As I said, they WILL swab if they suspect anything, it is part of tbe proceedure (or should be)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Others report going through will minimal checks.

All looks a bit "random".

You just have to hope that, if one of your fellow passengers is a suicidal terrorist, it's him/her they pick on for the full Monty :urm:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Everyone should go through the body scanners and physical check, all carry on luggage and personal items should go through the in-line scanner, those checks should be sufficient if carried out properly, so should not be random checks. If there are any reasons to be suspicious about anything such as concealed or prohibited items in carry on luggage, then further checks and swabs will be taken even after the second inspection is done. The hold luggage is treated separately and if all stages are carried out properly then there should be little risk to passengers, once another potential danger emerges then other protocols are put into place to minimise the risk, this banning of electrical devices above certain size in hand luggage is one of those new precautions.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I was under the impression that, even without there being anything untoward or suspicious, ETD swabbing is performed on a random basis.....sometimes at the final check.

This is what I meant earlier.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

There is no real need for random Explosive Trace Detection swabbing as it would achieve very little, they may now be using a mass swabbing technique that does a general sweep prior to boarding, but I doubt that they will carry out an individual swab on every passenger as the machines could not cope, although it would be nice to think that they could.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Random ETD swabbing may be of limited value, but it's carried out at a number of airports.

I've experience it myself at Hurghada where the queue forming at the door to the airbridge was, arbitrarily, split into two - one of which was then subjected to swabbing.

At Newcastle (!) Airport (Austr) they use a batching process....

"Why am I being selected for the testing with two other people?
Under new legislation, it is a requirement for ETD testing to be completed using batching. This requires up to three people to be selected for ETD testing at one time"

http://www.newcastleairport.com.au/blog ... OEWj_l97IV

I believe random selection testing quite common in USA but I've never experienced it in UK....although I rarely travel from anywhere but Gatwick.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Blimey, I'm going for my visa in 5 days I could give you a 'blow by blow account of my duress during said application.
I won't, else it would bore the pants off of you.

Get used to new things! just wait until you 'suddenly have to have a strip search, fingers up yer bum.
Whatever did you do before the invention of 'smart phones (dope phones) tablets, (not MDMA) lap-tops & game-boys ?
You probably had to converse with another human, weird or what ?

Your life won't alter one minuscule if you have to wait an hour or two just to tell one's mother, brother, friend,auntie
That your in the airport/toilet/train station/ hairdressers/ or even the bloody morgue.
Who really gives a f*** where you are, ? 'they don't trust me!

'One would think 'one has never flown before or been used to 'job's worth just doing their jobs.
One feels Margate may feel more at home for some....blah blah blah.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.