Unbelievable

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Re: Unbelievable

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I wonder whether, if the culprit's family come up with enough money, this crime will be swept under the carpet? Like so many others.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Still waters run deep and the tribal waters of Upper Egypt run very deep.

In my limited experience serious offences are remembered and retribution continues for generations.
Smile! It confuses people
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Indeed MD probably many more innocents will suffer in time to come.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The maximum penalty for rape in Egypt is 25 years in prison, A bill was before parliament late last year which would make rape subject to the death penalty, but I'm not aware that it has reached the statute book.

In the current climate of increased awareness of, and agitation against, sex crimes I would expect the culprit to receive the maximum sentence....effectively putting him beyond retribution by the family of the victim. As MD says, a modest sentence would likely find tribal retribution awaiting the assailant on his release...with consequent ongoing problems for everyone.

In answer to Ruby Slippers, the concept of diyya -"blood money" - is recognised in the islamic tradition and by the minds of many Egyptians (especially in rural areas) but is unlikely to be a feature of this case, which has received widespread publicity both within Egypt and abroad. In any case, it appears the accused is not wealthy.

Unlike some islamic countries, diyya is not, as far as I'm aware, recognised by the Egyptian penal code.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Sadly the sight of small babies mulling about in the dusty roads right outside my place is a frequent event. They could be there for literally hours on end with no sight or sound of an adult, and if the adults are sat outside on one of the many benches, they are far too interested in whatever tripe they are yammering on about to at least keep one eye on the child. All forms of vehicles passing up and down have the clearance of the child down to a fine art, no matter where it has positioned itself, but by some strange logic, usually dead center in the road, continual bursts of the horn to make the child look up, then a slow drive by, getting, usually, an acknowledgment from anyone that sees this action. And if the child is suddenly startled into movement and ends up dead under a wheel, the family grieve, but soon come to except their loss as the will of Allah. They do not seem to posses the ability to furnish themselves with blame or neglect of a young child that is killed in such a way. My friend tells me that child snatching for a sexual motive is quite common in upper Egypt, [several in her immediate area over the last ten years or so] with three discovered dead in one of the local canals concealed in bin bags.It is very rare that the culprits are found. But, as she says, very unusual for a baby this age.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Sleepy Head

Post by Sleepy Head »

And in the UK the father of Poppy Worthington (who he allegedly raped to death aged 13 months) is in hiding uncharged with the crime due to police negligence.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Family retribution doesn't always have to be against the perpetrator, it can even skip a generation until one family decides to take out "the best" of the other family. And on it goes.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Family retribution doesn't always have to be against the perpetrator, it can even skip a generation until one family decides to take out "the best" of the other family. And on it goes.
That's true and could be in point if the accused doesn't receive a very long sentence. This why diyya makes sense in islamic/tribal societies. It can bring an end to 'tit for tat' vendettas. Honour is satisfied with a suitable payment.

Says something about how they value human life :urm: