A taste of Egypt

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

A taste of Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Spring Onions from Egypt, sold in Asda for 40p, I wonder how much the Egyptians get? probably 5p :roll:

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: A taste of Egypt

Post by Horus »

I suppose a better comparison would be how much they would sell for in Egypt?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yesterday, 12Le a bunch. They were big fat ones as well.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:Yesterday, 12Le a bunch. They were big fat ones as well.
About the same price as the UK then :o
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

The jumbo sized ones work out at just over £9 per kg in Morrisons or 20-33 p each in Asda
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

So we are doing Egypt a favour in buying them then ;)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Sorry, made a typo, they are 1-1.5Le per bunch. :oops:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I was going to say Dusak that you had been ripped off but decided not too, bought some yesterday only the thinnies, don't like fatties, 1.5 le.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

carrie wrote:I was going to say Dusak that you had been ripped off but decided not too, bought some yesterday only the thinnies, don't like fatties, 1.5 le.
Me too, I dont like the big ones :D

The ones from the street markets are going to be cheaper, anywhere in the world
What is the price in KZ for the clean prepared ones? When I was there they cost between 4LE - 7LE, what I found strange is they was imported from another country (I can not remember where) and likewise in the UK we grow them here but have them imported from Egypt :?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

It is all down to what vegetables are grown seasonally, especially in the UK.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

In Denmark you can buy imported ones from neighbouring Germany all year - cheap and always poor quality. Italians can be better, but off season, I would rather use local leeks.

I often see green beans, grapes, pea pods and fresh garlic from Egypt on Danish supermarket shelves. This time of year, you can find new potatoes from Egypt, but it is worth it waiting for the first local ones that melt on the tongue.

:P
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Here in the U.K. over the past 10 days from one major supermarket you could have bought a kilo of carrots for 20p, 500gram packs of parsnips, leeks a spring cabbage, again 20p.

There is no V.A.T. on most general food items in the U.K., though this country is quite expensive for such items. The E.U. is a very strange animal when it come to the fine detail with most retail items, though in general the true worldwide price of most items are very high in the E.U., under what the E.U. like to call HARMONISATION. In other words in their term means keep the national price (within the E.U.) as high as possible.

Remember the butter mountains and wine lakes, things have not changed olive oil from Greece is sold much cheaper outside the E.U., than in it, and that is only one example.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

A-Four wrote:Here in the U.K. over the past 10 days from one major supermarket you could have bought a kilo of carrots for 20p, 500gram packs of parsnips, leeks a spring cabbage, again 20p.
None of the above - non organic- would be less than £1,5 in a Copenhagen discount supermarket, including VAT.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I remember when Egyptian potatoes were a joy to eat, but of recent years I cannot really say that they stand out anymore. The same can be said for 'Jersey Royals' now they were a real treat when the early crop came into the shops, always more expensive but delicious. Today there are so many varieties in our local supermarket from small salad varieties to ones good for mashing or baking and every week I see one that resembles a new potatoe, but I suspect they are just stored in some way to keep the skin thin and flakey to imitate a new potatoe.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I too have noticed the thin flaky skins of late, not bad to eat, but not as nice as the new spuds that come out around November here. Tomatoes are for ever increasing in price, now between 12-16 Le per kilo, but as a lot of the vegetables here over the last few months, the quality has dropped.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

We do get some good tomatoes her in the UK and most are not badly priced. You can get the usual Dutch imported ones in plastic boxes, half a dozen for about 60p, not that tasty but OK for most people, a Large Beef Tomatoe will set you back about 80p for one, but much more flavour and taste. My own favourite is to buy the 'on the vine' variety as they are usually much bigger and redder without being past their best, they taste better and I think they stay fresher if you pick them off the vine as you use them, they are of course more expensive than the boxed variety at around £1-20 p for a similar amount.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

BENNU wrote:
A-Four wrote:Here in the U.K. over the past 10 days from one major supermarket you could have bought a kilo of carrots for 20p, 500gram packs of parsnips, leeks a spring cabbage, again 20p.
None of the above - non organic- would be less than £1,5 in a Copenhagen discount supermarket, including VAT.
Ah but Bennu, you know very well there is a vast difference between Denmark and the rest of Scandinavia, as opposed to the rest of Euope, the other extreme opposite probably being Southern Italy, Greece along with Cyprus and Sothern Spain, who are lazy and believe the EU owes them a living.

It a little like looking at the average Brit who only see the true reality of the EU through politics and big business, where the average Scandinavian who look at the more common sense approach being, how would a 'Dexit' effect them personally.

I understand that Denmark had a separate temporary deal, when Maastricht came about, though I am sure that is about to end along with what you call ERM-II, well, we all know what happened with ERM-I in the U.K. Along with Ireland, Denmark and the U.K., have very large and strong trade links, there could be big trouble ahead, I hope not..

I notice that New Scotland Yard has vacated it's very large building in Queen Victoria Street, and moved to new premises very near to what was old Scotland Yard, next door to what was New Scotland Yard was a very successful government department,.......most people may need a gentle reminder the Department of Trade and Industry,..........the DTI, I think the carpet fitters have already moved in,.......... :wi .
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Don't know what Scotland Yard has to do with the price of tomatoes but there again. I bought some beautiful ones the day before yesterday Dusak for 5le per kilo don't know where you do your shopping.
I agree about the new pots that come out about November they are lovely, same time almost as strawberries but then they are still on sale now never known the season last so long.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote:Don't know what Scotland Yard has to do with the price of tomatoes
Well like I said,.......at the present moment all produce that enter the U.K. retail market From outside of the EU, whether it be tomatoes or tomahawk missiles they have to be agreed in price through the EU, who will seek the HIGHEST possible price, so that it can charge its own citizens the highest possible price on tax, being V.A.T. That is why the EU has constantly requested the U.K. introduce V.A.T. on food, but all past British government know it would be political suicide to do so.

The vacant building as described, will ensure that will not happen, rather than a British prime minister rubbing his or her hands together and saying,.........this is a EU ruling, nothing to do with me,........ .gov
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:Don't know what Scotland Yard has to do with the price of tomatoes but there again. I bought some beautiful ones the day before yesterday Dusak for 5le per kilo don't know where you do your shopping.
I agree about the new pots that come out about November they are lovely, same time almost as strawberries but then they are still on sale now never known the season last so long.
As most things such as fruit and vegetables, just depends where you shop. Karnak of late has seen high prices across the board, especially for tom's. If you can shop on the souque, you can find much better prices. I've loved tom's all my life, eaten in a variety of ways, but just washed with a sprinkle of salt each mouthful is wonderful. But the tom's here lack that pleasant acidic taste, just bland and watery.