Holidays in Luxor

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Holidays in Luxor

Post by Major Thom »

It amazes me how people are still trying to get tourists to holiday in Luxor. There is and it was well advertised a "State of Emergency" in Egypt, holiday companies cannot sell holidays to Luxor, so they are taking them out of brochures, they will not and never will fly 25% full aircraft in just not viable. Many people around the World still do not believe Luxor is safe, and when you listen to even local media they are still talking about terrorist groups in Egypt, tourists see and read about this and anyone who has a brain cell will just go elsewhere and can you blame them really. No matter what you say, people take more notice of media. Everyday there are more and more dreadful internet stories of horrific hassle and treatment of tourists, so again it just puts people off going. It's time the people that can do something put their heads together and come up with a plan, but there again whatever they come up with is just useless and feeble. You can take a camel to water but you cannot make it drink. I have heard how some Europeans that live there are doing their best to put forward plans to improve Luxor, but there is no money to do anything and the locals will neither accept or listen to you. For these reasons can you honestly expect things to pick up. I read that a new tomb had been discovered full of artifacts, instead of keeping people's interest everything has gone quiet. Maybe they have taken a bit of Trumps advice, FAKE NEWS.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Holidays in Luxor

Post by Bombay »

I see you still comment on something you know little about.

This "State Of Emergency" you keep repeating like a Tory PM repeats slogans is nothing new in Egypt there has been as was a state of emergency for the best part of 30 years including the years when tourism to Egypt and Luxor was at its highest putting Egypt at about number 3 in the Worlds and UK's most popular destination country.

Hurghada and Marsa Alam are still part of Egypt the last time I visited and Thomas Cook alone has increased its flights to these resorts THIS YEAR including 2 new flights to Marsa Alam from November.

They did find a new tomb but it only had a dog in it.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Then why did the President appear on tv to declare a 3 month state of emergency in March of this year? Os there something people are missing?
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Major Thom wrote:Then why did the President appear on tv to declare a 3 month state of emergency in March of this year? Os there something people are missing?
Only you missing the fact that the state of emergency was only lifted a year or so back and was in place for most of the time since Mubarak took office in 1981.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:Then why did the President appear on tv to declare a 3 month state of emergency in March of this year? Os there something people are missing?
A 3 month State of Emergency was declared by the Egyptian parliament in April following the two suicide bomber attacks on Christian cathedrals. Nothing unusual in that.

France declared a State of Emergency in Nov 2015 following the Paris attacks. It is still in force.

Nothing to worry your little head about.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

(You're not going mad... I've deleted this post from another thread and moved it here where it goes less of topic.)

Thinking aloud...

Re: State of Emergency (a phrase that is being bandied around with incredible regularity the last few days). I've not done my research, but is it not possible that a country could have various Laws and Rulings for State of Emergency which would also allow for differing applications.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:(You're not going mad... I've deleted this post from another thread and moved it here where it goes less of topic.)

Thinking aloud...

Re: State of Emergency (a phrase that is being bandied around with incredible regularity the last few days). I've not done my research, but is it not possible that a country could have various Laws and Rulings for State of Emergency which would also allow for differing applications.
All countries have some mechanism for declaring a State of Emergency following such things as civil disorder, terrorist incidents, natural disasters etc so that the authorities can act without being constrained by the normal rules of law governing rights and freedoms.

Under international law, rights and freedoms may be suspended during a state of emergency; for example, a government can detain persons and hold them without trial. All rights that can be derogated from are listed in the International Covenant for Civil and Political Rights. Non-derogable rights cannot be suspended. Non-derogable rights are listed in Article 4 of the ICCPR, they include right to life, the rights to freedom from arbitrary deprivation of liberty, freedom of slavery and to freedom from torture and/or ill-treatment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_emergency
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:(You're not going mad... I've deleted this post from another thread and moved it here where it goes less of topic.)

Non-derogable rights are listed in Article 4 of the ICCPR, they include right to life, the rights to freedom from arbitrary deprivation of liberty, freedom of slavery and to freedom from torture and/or ill-treatment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_emergency
Egypt has probably only read up to Article 3
denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

My friend visited in march and couldnt believe the increase in tourists plusmore boats sailing down the river than the previous year. My brain cells and i are looking forward to visiting very much so, counting the days in fact and no doom and gloom merchant will put me off . MT you really do need to get a life in your new country if you hated it so much put the past behind you and move on
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well i am currently visiting a country that has introduced a state of emergency and it did not put me off coming. Some folk just have to winge. Why i wonder?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Turkey is no different to Egypt, A abuot F too.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

It's taken me some time to realize what This Tomb of the Dog is about, but now I realize, both myself and wife find it fairly offensive. Unlike other posters I will not report the stupid posts from sub intelligent people, just to get my own back, but leave it to the moderatrs if they find it a slur. Both myself and wife have spent many sleepless nights and are still doing so thinking of our beloved dog, and for these posts to keep appearing, is just shameless posts from posters who do not know or realalise the full story. But again it goes to show how low the ex pat community of Luxor will stoop for a free dig. Maybe these posters should think wisely before posting, or even like some tell me, get a life. Oh! But I forgot many have a life, touring properties for sale or like we call it snooping. They either do it to get ideas for themselves, or just to waste people's time.
When talkng about State of Emergency, I am surprised a S of E has not been declared on Luxor Ex Pats. :lol: It seems there is definitely some form of battle going on in Luxor. Wonder who will win the crown? :lol:
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Major Thom wrote:Turkey is no different to Egypt, A abuot F too.
Turkey is VERY different from Egypt. Both are Muslim countries, but apart from that there is little comparison. But then, making statements with no foundation in facts, is your forte.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Major Thom wrote:It's taken me some time to realize what This Tomb of the Dog is about, but now I realize, both myself and wife find it fairly offensive. Unlike other posters I will not report the stupid posts from sub intelligent people, just to get my own back, but leave it to the moderatrs if they find it a slur. Both myself and wife have spent many sleepless nights and are still doing so thinking of our beloved dog, and for these posts to keep appearing, is just shameless posts from posters who do not know or realalise the full story. But again it goes to show how low the ex pat community of Luxor will stoop for a free dig. Maybe these posters should think wisely before posting, or even like some tell me, get a life. Oh! But I forgot many have a life, touring properties for sale or like we call it snooping. They either do it to get ideas for themselves, or just to waste people's time.
When talkng about State of Emergency, I am surprised a S of E has not been declared on Luxor Ex Pats. :lol: It seems there is definitely some form of battle going on in Luxor. Wonder who will win the crown? :lol:
Sorry to say, but your information is incorrect, the dig was not free, three of your ''poverty stricken'' locals were paid a decent wage by newcastle to find King Muts burial chamber. :snig: At least the 'tale' is still wagging the dog.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote: Both myself and wife have spent many sleepless nights and are still doing so thinking of our beloved dog, ...
A bad conscience can do that to people.
Major Thom wrote:....and for these posts to keep appearing, is just shameless posts from posters who do not know or realalise the full story.
People only know the story you told them. You chose to let everyone know that you were going to have your dog put down. If you mislead people with the information and circumstances then that is your fault and the blame for that falls firmly at your feet.
Major Thom wrote:Maybe these posters should think wisely before posting, or even like some tell me, get a life.
That is beginning to read like a threat.
Major Thom wrote:Oh! But I forgot many have a life, touring properties for sale or like we call it snooping. They either do it to get ideas for themselves, or just to waste people's time.
Touring properties, for sale or otherwise is a normal occupation for many people. If a person advertises their home, or open it up (for whatever reason) it is natural that others are going to want to know what lies beyond the door. This is particularly so, I should imagine, when someone has 'bigged' their property up.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

What i actually said was get a life in your new country and stop barking on about the past one seeing as you say you hated it so much, you may actually be happier in yourself ifbyou put it all behind you.
Sorry i meant to say harking on, slip of the tongue :oops:
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

You'd think - having made a serious error of judgement in retiring to Egypt and then been a soft target for every scallywag on the banks of the Nile - one would be inclined to keep quiet about it rather than display to everyone one's naivety and stupidity.

Not so our MT :lol:
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm still waiting with bated breath to read MT's exposure blog on Luxor - or was that an idle threat, MT? :D
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Major Thom wrote: Both myself and wife have spent many sleepless nights and are still doing so thinking of our beloved dog, ...
A bad conscience can do that to people.
Major Thom wrote:....and for these posts to keep appearing, is just shameless posts from posters who do not know or realalise the full story.
People only know the story you told them. You chose to let everyone know that you were going to have your dog put down. If you mislead people with the information and circumstances then that is your fault and the blame for that falls firmly at your feet.
Major Thom wrote:Maybe these posters should think wisely before posting, or even like some tell me, get a life.
That is beginning to read like a threat.
Major Thom wrote:Oh! But I forgot many have a life, touring properties for sale or like we call it snooping. They either do it to get ideas for themselves, or just to waste people's time.
Touring properties, for sale or otherwise is a normal occupation for many people. If a person advertises their home, or open it up (for whatever reason) it is natural that others are going to want to know what lies beyond the door. This is particularly so, I should imagine, when someone has 'bigged' their property up.
Especially if you may be interested in buying it.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

No treat just telling people to stop being so bloody minded without knowing the story.

When people are not interested and snoop for a living, that's no an interested buyer. Even more so when they state we will be in touch in a couple of days time and then don't bother, what are people likely to think?

No bad conscience at all just missing our friend. I have said many times how we spoke to Kim at ACE before hand and decided from there. You see we did our best and took expert advice, so go and ask Kim. Please don't come back and tell me Kim knows nothing, it was Kim with Dr David who helped our friend to paradise. They even took photos on the day, and I will give Kim permission to show these photos and explain to you why the action was taken.

Whatever happened to us in Egypt was put in print as a warning to others not to get caught up in the deadly deeds of thieves and prospectors.

My blog is viral why not troll it instead of advertising the fact you want to look and then come back with another barrage of insults. I have said many times I tell it as it is and not how it should be.

You said it all Turkey is a Muslim Country, the Countries both run via dictatorship. What more could you want, politics and religion running hand in hand.

I have mad no bones about it our first two other three years in Luxor was great, read back posts, it only when we realized the downward spiral was irriversible we decided enough was enough. Regarding precuinary losses, we both worked all our lives and did not spend without covering first. Yes I hold my hand up I got stung but was not the first will not be the last. The good thing was not moving to Luxor wth £10 in my back pocket, hoping to survive. We both had and still have good incomes, and a nice rainy day package. To live anywhere out side your own Country you need money in the bank, we were fortunate not to get trapped and be able to do nothing.