How Civil

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

How Civil

Post by Major Thom »

Because we have decided to stay here a little, we had to get our Yellow Papers. Took Marriage Certificate, Bank Statements, Passport and proof of income. Ten mins later after posing for a photo the Yellow Slips were ready. We asked when will they need to be renewed, we were told you have no need to renew them ever you are now a resident of Cyprus. They then informed us to take the papers across the road and ask for a Medical Card, because while you are resident you are entitled to free Medical Care. How Civil, the whole thing took 30 mins. What a difference, now to apply for Tax Residence, you don't become eligible for tax until your income is over 25,000€ if you go above you have to pay 5%. I keep meaning to ask, how is the visa situation in Luxor, still having to keep your mouths shut to get a 3 or 6 month one, still having to leave and pay 25$ to get a year one at another cost. Not quite so civil is it!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: How Civil

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A good and interesting post, alas spoilt by the last couple of sentances.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Not really Hepzi That's how it stood when we left, and the costs involved, I wondered what and if things had changed or not? I had read about pensioners etc and homeowners etc
It's common knowledge you cannot operate free speech if you live there, I just could not resist a little skit. :lol:
Oh! By the way in April Cyprus hosted 350,000 tourists and holiday makers, not bad for a small island, helped by numerous budget airlines flying to the island.
pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic »

Cyprus and the UK, for the time being of course, are both EU countries so it goes without saying that the process will be easier.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Why would anyone be surprised that an EU citizen has little in the way of formalities to reside in Cyprus? Or any other EU country for that matter?

What will be more interesting is what happens to UK citizens residing in Cyprus when the UK finally leaves EU.

Particularly those that entered Cyprus post the Referendum and post the triggering of Article 50 :ct

The UK-EU negotiations don't seem to have got off on an entirely amicable footing :lol:

If all goes well you'll be able to buy another dog....but best to wait a while . Just in case . :wi
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I suppose you realize that a third of Cyprus is a British Outpost, where many military people are in residence. I cannot see either Cyprus or the UK wanting to give that up at all, so all in all people here think a stalemate will result in no changes. The Island is important to both Cypriots and Brits alike. If you don't believe look up the UK territory on the Cyprus maps, it's clearly shown around the Larnaca and Limossal districts and they are around 50 to 60 miles apart. But we will have to wait and see. The Brits do help in keeping the Island safe, on land and sea, and this is much appreciated by Cypriot people.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Then of course for €100 you can stay a European, like Junker has suggested.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I've no idea where you get your information from.
a third of Cyprus is a British Outpost
:ni:

The British Overseas Territory of Akrotiri & Dhekelia is only 100 sq miles and is occupied by about 8000 UK service personnel & their families on temporary assignment. The island as a whole is about 3600 sq miles. The Greek part 2100 sq miles.

Cyprus is a sovereign state, independent of UK, and, as a member of the EU, will deal with non-EU residents in whatever way it wishes. It is likely to follow the EU line regarding British expats...whatever that turns out to be.

Any preferential treatment of expats, because of Cyprus' strategic importance, looks like wishful thinking :cg
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

But don't forget that Cyprus is still part of the british commonwealth and that probably help with visas etc.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Apart from the troops there are also many civilians in that area. Anyway no matter what living conditions here will never be so difficult as what you are all prepared to put up with where you are. It's just that you do not want to admit it. I admit that we should have got out earlier, I have already admitted to being stolen from, I have admitted many things that happened to us in Luxor, I have also admitted to enjoying Luxor until the past 3 years, and I will also admit to doing something about it. Even I will admit that I wore Rose Tinted Glasses for a while, but to admit I enjoyed living there the last 3 years I would never. Where to go to, well that took a lot of thinking and a lot of souls searching, but mainly with a lot of investigation into our future. When you get older there are so many things you have to consider, medical care, your own needs etc etc, but mainly medical care. When we left for Luxor we told all the authorities, tax, insurance, doctors etc etc, we did not and would not keep an English address or somewhere to say this is where we live most of the year, so we could claim benefits etc etc. or be able to fly home for treatment because we knew that the medical care in Egypt was beyond dire. Finally what I cannot and never will understand is why UK people stay there and have to watch every penny they spend, that's not living, that's torture. But of course it may also be they are financially trapped in Luxor. We thought we may have got to that position, but it changed in 2014. When luck dropped on our doorstep.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

No mention of Junkers €100 to stay European, or is that the EU pushing out speculation and trash like Nilesat?
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

This is not a criticism MT it is just sheer puzzlement - if you are so glad to have done with everything Egyptian why are you constantly posting on L4U? Why not cut the strings?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:This is not a criticism MT it is just sheer puzzlement - if you are so glad to have done with everything Egyptian why are you constantly posting on L4U? Why not cut the strings?
Simples....."Haters gonna hate!"
Last edited by newcastle on Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bearded Brian wrote:But don't forget that Cyprus is still part of the british commonwealth and that probably help with visas etc.

Mmmmm....like Nigeria, Pakistan, India.....

Generally speaking , being a UK citizen confers no particular advantage when emigrating to a Commonwealth country -
nor does being a UK citizen confer any special rights when you are there.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

An enviable position to be in, able to speak for the countless expats living here, stating we are either trapped, near the poverty line and, quite clearly in your estimation, near suicidal to boot. The vast number that live here, live here because they want to live here, like myself. Some are finding it hard with the visa laws, some are finding it hard due to the high increases in consumer goods, but they still stay here. Many, like myself, have many friends and close family relatives that they could go and live with and even though a small few may not have sufficient funds to go back to their own country, no doubt that there are many they could rely on to help out, but they still remain here. This is not a prison from which you and your wife manager to escape from while the guards back was turned, the way out is always open and left unguarded for expats to use if they wish to do so. Although it could be argued that you did have to pay a hell of an amount of baksheesh for the so called privilege of being able to leave.

You both left, but you continually speak as if you only just managed to do so by the skin of your teeth, continually raking up old coals in a vain attempt to raise heckles and remind us of what your problems where while residing here as if the cap fits all. You should enjoy your new start in life as life in general, is far to short, at our ages, to keep wasting it on your continual inane jabbing posts.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It's odd that someone so uninterested in/ignorant of Egyptian culture, history, scenic beauty etc etc. - whose interests lie in fine living, bagpipes and '70s band music, should have stuck it out for so long. Let's face it - access to Jeremy Kyle, TV reality shows and other British "comforts" is pretty limited :lol:

If he finds Cyprus more to his taste, perhaps he'll take the trouble to learn a little Greek.....although I suspect nattering with the expat bar flies will be more to his taste.

As with expats everywhere, they have so little on their minds they may even be interested in listening to him expounding on his worldly knowledge......a treat indeed :urm:
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

newcastle wrote:It's odd that someone so uninterested in/ignorant of Egyptian culture, history, scenic beauty etc etc. - whose interests lie in fine living, bagpipes and '70s band music, should have stuck it out for so long :lol:

If he finds Cyprus more to his taste, perhaps he'll take the trouble to learn a little Greek.....although I suspect nattering with the expat bar flies will be more to his taste.

As with expats everywhere, they have so little on their minds they may even be interested in listening to him expounding on his worldly knowledge......a treat indeed :urm:
Trouble is the nonsense he spreads will probably re enforce peoples misconceptions of Egypt.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Trouble is the nonsense he spreads will probably re enforce peoples misconceptions of Egypt.
I assume that's his motive...and hope.

Pathetic :urm:

On the other hand.....anyone with a brain cell, reading his posts, will surely realise he knows bugger all about anything. :lol:

The Cypriots will be astonished to learn that a third of their island is British territory :a8:
Sleepy Head

Post by Sleepy Head »

But you can take heart from the fact that everyone here cannot resist commenting on your posts Justen so they hang on your every word just as they always have done. They never realise that most of the time you are simply yanking their chains. I am sure there are more people here who are glad that things are improving for you. As for haters - who better to know what a hater thinks than another hater.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Sleepy Head wrote:But you can take heart from the fact that everyone here cannot resist commenting on your posts Justen so they hang on your every word just as they always have done. They never realise that most of the time you are simply yanking their chains. I am sure there are more people here who are glad that things are improving for you. As for haters - who better to know what a hater thinks than another hater.
Oh but we do.....and I'm sure he accepts ridicule as the price to pay for his trolling.

Strange how you've changed your tune re MT :a8:

Perhaps because he can no longer set "the hounds of hell" on anyone - having buried it?