How Ancient Egypt’s beloved cats helped our feline friends..

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

How Ancient Egypt’s beloved cats helped our feline friends..

Post by DJKeefy »

How Ancient Egypt’s beloved cats helped our feline friends colonise the planet.

The domestic cat has proved to be one of the most successful animals on the planet, managing to capitalise on its close relations with humans to colonise every continent except Antarctica.

Now scientists have discovered that many of today’s Felis silvestris lybica are descended from cats who lived thousands of years ago in Ancient Egypt.

Using genetic analysis, the researchers established that cats were first domesticated in the Near East about 10,000 years ago, probably by farmers because of feline skills in dealing with mice and other rodents that raid grain stores. A complete cat skeleton dated to 7,500BC was found associated with a human burial site on the island of Cyprus.

However, it was not until several thousand years later that cats really began the journey that would take them to every corner of the globe.

In Ancient Egypt, cats and humans developed a remarkably close relationship as shown by numerous depictions in art from around 2,000BC.

And it appears something about these Egyptian cats made them particularly appealing and they started to spread into Europe.

“The increasing popularity of cats among Mediterranean cultures and particularly their usefulness on ships infested with rodents and other pests presumably triggered their dispersal across the Mediterranean,” the researchers wrote in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution.

“Indeed, depictions of cats in domestic contexts, already frequent during the New Kingdom in Egypt around 1500BC, [such as] ‘cat under the chair’, are found on Greek artefacts from as early as the end of the 6th century BC.

“The Egyptian cat must have been very popular, as [two different strains] represented more than half of the maternal lineages in Western Anatolia during the 1st millennium AD, and occurred twice as frequently as the local [strain].

“This suggests that the Egyptian cat had properties that made it attractive to humans, presumably acquired during the tightening of the human-cat relationship that developed during the Middle and New Kingdoms [of Egypt] and became even stronger afterwards.”

The researchers said the most pronounced genetic changes that distinguish wild from domestic cats were “apparently linked to behaviour” – something that anyone who has met a Scottish wildcat would readily confirm.

“It is tempting to speculate that the success of the Egyptian cat is underlain by changes in its sociability and tameness,” they wrote in the paper.

Domestic cats appeared north of the European Alps “soon after the Roman conquest” but are thought to have been absent from outside the Empire until it started to collapse.

Feline expansion then received another boost from sailors.

“In medieval times it was compulsory for seafarers to have cats onboard their ships, leading to their dispersal across routes of trade and warfare,” the researchers wrote.

“This evidence explains, for example, the presence of [a cat with an Egyptian lineage] at the Viking port of Ralswiek, dated between the seventh and 11th century AD.”

The same boats also spread black rats and house mice in significant numbers which “probably also encouraged cat dispersal for the control of these new pests”.

Summing up their findings, the international team of scientists, led by Belgian paleogeneticist Claudio Ottoni, wrote that “both the Near Eastern and Egyptian populations of Felis silvestris lybica contributed to the gene pool of the domestic cat at different historical times”.

“While the cat’s worldwide conquest began during the Neolithic period in the Near East, its dispersal gained momentum during the Classical period, when the Egyptian cat successfully spread throughout the Old World,” they said.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 98021.html

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: How Ancient Egypt’s beloved cats helped our feline frien

Post by Dusak »

I watched a short documentary on this very subject yesterday. There have been many instances were the much thought fearsome animals were deemed untameable but the regular offerings of food and respect for territory soon begins a level of trust between the eater and feeder. Some women I've met have shown similar traits. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Cats are unique in so many ways it's hard to choose my favourite.

Apparently every cat develops it's own language to communicate with it's owner. After kitten-hood wild cats don't mew, but domestic cats will use a variety of noises to make their needs known to their owner, whether it is open the door or I want food for example. The fact the every cat uses different noises for the purpose I find not only amazing, but weird.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

My own cat never really meows at me, it is more like a squawk, a very miserable “meark” sort of noise to get my attention. :| I did read somewhere that the cat successfully integrated itself into human society due to evolution suppressing the adult genes and so they remained more kittenish in their behaviour which appealed to humans.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Alfie the cat, my oldest, uses a collection of sounds to catmunicate his wants and needs, all of which I understand. Bob, the second oldest, just produces urrrup, which I then have to attempt to interpenetrate, but it is usually for more food. The three kids, well, the thoughts concerning their cat speak is still ongoing. Ericka, AKA Eric, purrs and squeaks a lot, and produces a sound much like that of the human 'ello. It could mean she wants attention, food, a pee or a puss fuss. Derick has a deep base call, yow, yow, Which I think he gives out cos he likes the sound of it. Both he, Eric and Alfie give chittering sounds when they see a bird resting close by, all adopting an attack crouch with a sway of their bums, all having no chance whatsoever in catching any. Hamsa? Well he still remains the stupid one, giving out the odd squeak like a kids plastic squeeze toy every now and then.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I can tell that you have each ones individual character sussed ;)
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

When I went to Turkey two of the things I wanted to do was meet my friends cats. Both ex street cats and both very different from each other. Sid is friendlier, Dost still a little nervous around people.
Sid used to come into my bedroom from the balcony (nearly gave me a heart attack the first time I saw him leap down from the first floor, when he left that way) he would spend a little time having a chat then want to go to his Mum's room. A little meow followed by a longer and louder one if I wasn't fast enough to open the door for him He certainly had no problem letting his wishes be known. Highlight came though when Dost let me stroke her I was accepted maybe not as a friend but no longer to be feared.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Yes, Sid and Dost (Friend) have me well trained! I adopted Sid after a friend found him in her garden with a serious leg injury. He soon settled into town life, and within a couple of months had acquired a girlfriend - he brought her home for breakfast one morning, standing back while she ate his bowl of crunchies! What can you do? I provided a second bowl as required. For a couple of years she was just a daily visitor, dining and departing morning and evening, but when I moved house I brought her with me and Sid, in the hope that she would settle. She did! She's now nearly a house cat, much more confident, and occasionally will jump onto my knee, but is still sleeping outside - she has a covered basket on the balcony. I think that she'll probably start sleeping inside next winter - she loves the fire! Both cats have baskets right in front of it, and if I'm late lighting it, they sit there looking accusingly at me :(

Sid is extremely vocal, even howling if he doesn't get what he wants, but he's part Siamese I think and extremely wilful! Dost doesn't miaow but squeaks. I understand both of them perfectly - actually they make more sense than many of the ex-pats living here! After Carol left, both of them went to look for her in the spare room, finding it very inconvenient that there was no one to open the balcony door, especially in the morning!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

One thing that I observed from the very beginning of having a cat here, and in the UK, but with long dresses, they do not like the Galabiea. If ever I had a visitor wearing one, the cat would rocket itself through the flap and not return until it was satisfied that the coast was clear. All my cats, with the exception of Alfie, rest during the hot days in the connecting hallway between the lounge and kitchen. When my friend comes they all attempt to vacate this area by way of creating a large 'cat jam' in the cat flap. But when she has changed into her more favored Western style while here, they are quite happy to come back in and take no notice of her passing through. For some unknown reason all the cats that I've ever had seemed to have a fascination to the human foot. If I'm sitting outside with a leg crossed both Bob and Derick will spend ages pushing and shoving at my foot, scenting it at the same time. If I'm in the kitchen and Alfie wants some extra food, he will make a variety of moves on one of my feet in a submissive crouched position to get my attention.

Feeding time is also a trial at times. Alfie is OK as he has his tuna in peace in the kitchen. The other four eat outside, 5am on the dot if I want an extra hour in bed or not. I have to sit there and watch them, mainly due to Derick's greed. He hoovers his own food up then creeps silently over to Hamsa's dish in an attempt to gobble his up as quick as possible. Bob's head is on a continual turn and pivot motion as the chews and keeps a watchful eye on him, issuing a growl if Derick gets a bit too close for comfort. Erick will only eat on top of the table, taking small bits out of the dish one at a time then drops them on the table, then eats them. Hamsa is a very slow and methodical eater, I can get through a mug of tea and three cigs waiting for him to finish so I can carry on doing the things I need to do every morning. If he leaves any food in the dish, no matter where Derick is in the garden, as soon as I shout his name he comes bounding over and goes straight to Hamsa's dish to lick it clean.

Drinking their water is a novel thing to watch. Alfie and Bob just lap it up as any normal cat would do, but Hamsa has to first claw and scratch around the dish, then dip one of his paws gently into the water, have a couple of practice licks, then gets stuck in with his right leg held up in the air. Erick will sit and stare at the water for a couple of minutes then pounce on it. Derick has to have a long sniff first, then a lick, walks away, comes back, dips a paw in then starts to drink, but only from the very edge of the dish, never the center as the others do.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Quite a good observation of your cats behaviour Dusak especially their individual feeding habits and reaction to water. Sadly I lost my little friend of 22 years standing yesterday and it was so strange not to be bullied and harassed into putting her fresh food out this morning and being greeted with a strange little ‘chirrup’ sound as she saw me appear. :(
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Sorry to hear that Horus always a horrible time when you lose a beloved pet. Your friend certainly had a long life and no doubt a happy one.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Thanks Carrie :up I think we were both well blessed, she to have had a soft sod like me to look after her and myself in having had the priveledge of her as my pet. ;)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Sorry that you have lost a good friend and companion of so long. People that do not like cats, and those that have never had one, find it hard to understand the attachment that so easily and quickly builds up between owner and pet. I would be very upset if I lost any of mine. Fortunately here, they are easily replaced. You soon get used to the new arrival, just takes longer for them to get used to you.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Horus. It's always sad losing a cat but it must be especially heartbreaking to have lost such a long-standing companion.

Take Dusak's advice and get another cat ASAP. I've always thought that's the best medicine.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Thanks FF :up although I miss having her around the house she was very much her own person so never sat on your lap or made a big fuss other than when food was the issue. She had a good long life, but sadly I felt she was deteriorating fast so took the decision to have her put to sleep sooner rather than later, or risk she may become distressed or in pain over the weekend with no vet readily available. She now has her little plot in the garden and although I will miss her being around I still have my little dog for company. :)
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

You've got a bloody DOG?!

Right, that's it, you just lost all my sympathy :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

FarleyFlavors wrote:You've got a bloody DOG?!

Right, that's it, you just lost all my sympathy :lol:
Yes but the cat never showed any gratitude for her cushy life, never wanted to come for a walk with me, or come in the car for a ride, or any inclination to go on holiday with me. Although she was quite good at clawing my hall carpet as a means of telling me to let her out, insisting on me getting her more food in the middle of a good film, barfing a fur ball into the hard to clean parts of my leather suit, leaving paw marks all over my newly polished bay window, insisting on going out (for 20 minutes) just as I was locking up for bed, doing the reverse as I was going shopping so I had to let her back in the house after locking up, rolling on her back to invite me to tickle her belly, then clasping my hand in a ten claw grip whilst kicking it with her back paws... ouch! the list is endless, but I still miss the little **** :(