Internet and computers

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Internet and computers

Post by carrie »

Two questions,
1. I have two drives on my computer drive c and d, I had a notification that drive c is almost full yet drive d is almost empty how do I move some of my files onto drive d to make up more space?
2. The telephone company have recently installed fibre optic cables and we were assured that this would make the internet much faster, I can't say that I have noticed any difference. Does it affect the speed of the internet?
A third question that I have just thought of for Keefy, can we have a dedicated topic for computer questions, then we could just look back on questions asked previously and maybe find answers to enquiries?

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Re: Internet and computers

Post by Mad Dilys »

What a good idea Carrie! :D
Smile! It confuses people
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

phpBB [video]

Don't try and move Windows best to move photos documents music and video files. If you copy files delete the old ones after to make space. You need to run cleaner right click on your drive select properties at bottom and run disc cleaner

phpBB [video]

Just google these types of questions there are videos etc out there I doubt its worth setting up a separate topic for these questions as they don't come up that often that I recall

If you don't feel comfortable doing this take your pc to the OFFICE shop near OMAR Supermarket they can show you how to do it while they do it for you doesn't take long
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

In answer to question 2, Carrie.
The local internet providers sell you your connection by speed. So, you probably have a nominal 2Mb connection. we were being charged around LE240 per month for that on the West Bank. Have a look at the current TE Data pricing structure for residential use now: https://tedata.net/wps/portal/te/Reside ... RRDgxMFUw/

The throttling speed mentioned only applies if you have exceeded your monthly quota. 100Gb should be enough for most of us so I think we should all demand a new contract for the local services!!!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote: A third question that I have just thought of for Keefy, can we have a dedicated topic for computer questions, then we could just look back on questions asked previously and maybe find answers to enquiries?
Computer and techy type questions are perhaps most normally posted in Suggestions, Help and Enquiries. That way they are easier to find rather then disappearing under more general topics.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Carrie it is quite easy to move files from one drive to another, but as Bombat has already told you DO NOT try to move any of your Windows Operating System or ANY Programs you may have over onto the other drive. It is perfectly safe to move Document Files, Photographs, Video Files & Music Files of all types without any problems.

Remember these points:
MOST Operating Systems (O/S) like Windows are usually put on the ‘C’ drive as a default by the installation disks.

The same goes for ‘Programs’ like ‘Word’ or other word processors, ‘Paint’ programs, ‘Photographic’ programs etc. all are put onto the ‘C’ drive unless the installer specifies a different drive letter. So basically everything you have that performs a task will almost certainly be on your ‘C’ drive.

The procedure is quite simple, you just select the ‘individual’ file you want to move, or you can select the complete ‘Folder’ where lots of files are stored and simply ‘COPY’ or ‘MOVE’ them onto the other drive. In your case you need to ‘MOVE’ the files otherwise you will not free up the space on the ‘C’ drive.

Moving a single file will be almost instant, but a folder containing say video or photographs can take several minutes depending upon how many files there are, so 20 minutes would not be unusual with a large folder.

There are TWO ways you can ‘Drag & Drop’ a file or a folder.
1. You select the file/folder by hovering your mouse over it and holding down your LEFT mouse button. Keeping the button held down you move the mouse pointer to the new location, as you do so you should see a dialogue box appear saying “Move to ****” (where **** is your new destination)
All you do then is to release the mouse button and the transfer will take place.

2. You can do exactly as above, BUT if you wanted to make a ‘Copy’ and NOT move the original from its current location, then do as above, but at the same time hold down the ‘Ctrl’ key on your keyboard. This time the dialogue box will say “Copy to ****” (where **** is again your new destination) In your case the first method is what you need to free up space.

So to begin with you should familiarise yourself with doing the following little exercise:
If you have an icon on your desktop that says ‘Computer’ DOUBLE LEFT CLICK your mouse on the icon and it will open up a small window. In this window you will see all of the drives on your computer, remember that anything that can be read will show up as a ‘drive’ so you will see drives ‘C’ ‘D’ & probably ‘E’ for a CD drive. You may have other letters showing if for example you have a card reader plugged in, or a camera, or a USB stick, so just about everything you plug in will be assigned a drive letter and remember that with the exception of ‘C’ ‘D’ & ‘E’ the other letters can change depending on how many devices are plugged in at the time.

Look for the drive labelled ‘C’ and again ‘double left click’ your mouse and it will open up as a small window. Do exactly the same with the one labelled ‘D’ and you should now have two separate windows on your screen. You close them down at any time by clicking the cross in the top right corner of the box.

If you do not have a ‘Computer’ icon on your desktop then just go to your ‘Start icon’ (bottom left of your screen) and click on it, From the fly-out menu that appears you should see the word ‘Computer’ in the right hand list, so click on that and everything will be as above.

Once you have the two windows open, one will be drive ‘C’ and the other drive ‘D’ you can just move the files or folder out of one drive and into the other drive as described above.
Can I suggest that you first have a practice on opening up these two drives and familiarising your self where the files you want to move are located on that drive. Then just do a small trial run with say a couple of photographs, documents or music files just to see how it all works. Once you are happy to do so then just move the complete folder over, but check that the folder only contains files that are documents, images, music files etc. Its not as hard as it may seem, but if you need any additional help I will be back later tonight.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Thanks a lot for all you help. :rs :rs :rs :rs Will sit down tomorrow and TRY.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

No problems Carrie, just get back if you are unsure about anything and I will try to help :up