Ransom ware attack.... again.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Ransom ware attack.... again.

Post by Horus »

Major Thom wrote:I use an external drive to keep things on, everything I do I keep on it, just feels safer to me.
Keeping your important data backed up on an external drive is a good idea, but it will not stop you from getting some sort of malware on your PC if you do not take proper precausions.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I use it mainly for back up programs pictures and items such as I Banking. It's safer there than on my main laptop
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Why do we use Mac? Simple: It just works.

It's not just how fast it runs benchmarks. It's mostly because it just runs without the viruses, spam, crashes and constant need for support, reboots, upgrades, defrags and maintenance without which Windows simply stops working after a few weeks. I only have to reboot my desktop Mac when I return from a trip during which I turned it off! It runs smoothly for months at a time.

So an expert speaks and 'when does one see a PC being used by the media. never!.... 8)
Ps: PC's ? "the choice of the housewife....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

So an expert speaks and 'when does one see a PC being used by the media. never!....
It called being a 'fan-boy' and the old adage of a fool and his money are soon parted "Oooh! I have a Cannon camera cause they are the best" "I have an Iphone/Ipad cause they are the best" "I have an Apple Mac because I keep seeing them on the telly" ....... product placement suckers, "give us your money" :lv

And yes an expert does speak, but from your comments above it is obvious that you are not 8)
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

In 92 our organisation took installed and operated £25k's worth of IT kit into Sarajevo.
Our organisation also had the first internet radio station.

We used only Apple Macs as our first in the late 80's was by donation. Later all our computers were Macs.
We had music engineers, recording artists, journalists and designers all using Mac computers that work.
qed in my book, you pays cheap you get crap.....8)
Ps: In 14 years we never paid to connect to the net, stupid we weren't.
We also had over 2000 registered domain names.
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Who2, when have I ever actually said that Macs were no good? In your eagerness to extol their virtues you obviously don’t read the thread. I also own a Mac, an I-phone plus an I-pad, so I am hardly anti Apple products, but I also own a desktop PC plus a Laptop that have the Windows operating systems on them plus a Kindle Fire HD tablet and a few old ones laying around. Unlike some on here, I post what I think may be of help to others who may not be so genned up PC wise in the hope it will help them in some way, you don’t have to read it and neither do you have to interject with inane comments about how smart you are to own a Mac and how everyone else is stupid for not doing so.

Perhaps you can tell me why they make anti virus software for Macs? Or even why a new Mac comes with Norton pre loaded? Do you even know which version of O/S you have on your own Mac, do you install the latest updates for your Mac? From your previous posts I doubt if you know the answer to any of those questions. Macs do get viruses and trojans, just not so often as PC’s and my advice was for people using Windows systems, or didn’t you figure that one out?

I am impressed that you took a full sound system to Sarajevo, but quite what a 25 year old Mac O/S has to do with the virus attacks of today I can’t quite figure out, or why you needed over 2000 domain names is a mystery, did you keep clicking the Enter Key by mistake as you registered?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

And I wondered why I was quitting...... 8)
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Oh didums :ks
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Well I for one thank you for taking the time out to help me. I asked my friend to get the laptop you recommended, but unfortunately was not able to get that particular model locally. They live in fish country [Grimsby] with no personal transport to wonder about, so they got me this one. Sounds OK for me when you take into consideration how little I use one. HP ba079sa 15.6'' product code 165411 from PC world. £299.00.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

You are welcome Dusak, as is anyone else who asks for some help/advice, If I can help I give it freely and it is up to the recipient to decide if they wish to take it or not. I gain nothing from spending my time writing lengthy explanations, giving useful links or detailed instructions in some cases when problems occur, I do it to help people, so I get annoyed when the only response from some quarters is to throw crap into the thread.

Just had a quick look at the laptop you are having and the spec looks very good, nice big hard drive 1 TB so I doubt you will ever fill that up. The processor is good and should handle anything you want to do with it and you also have your HDMI socket that you were keen on having, so looks good to me mate and good value for money. :up
The only thing is that nowadays they all come with a load of 'bloatware' pre installed and most likely trials of just about everything, but best to forget 'Word' and put something like 'Open Office' on as its free. ;)
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I appreciate your advise Horus, you have been very helpful to me in the past and future I hope. :)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak wrote:... They live in fish country [Grimsby] ...
Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...

Once the largest fishing port in the world and now about all that is left of the docks is the Dock Tower, at least that is the impression I have from recent photographs I've seen.

:a51: :a7:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

carrie wrote:I appreciate your advise Horus, you have been very helpful to me in the past and future I hope. :)
You are down on my 'Appreciative of your help' list, so just ask away, I cannot always help, but will do my best. ;)
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Maybe things will change for Grimsby now that we are leaving the EU fishing rights will change.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

From what my mate says, the Grimsby death knell sounded a long time past. He has worked in the fish industry since being a lad, but retired early last year as the going got to tough trying to make a decent living.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Dusak wrote:... They live in fish country [Grimsby] ...
Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...

Once the largest fishing port in the world and now about all that is left of the docks is the Dock Tower, at least that is the impression I have from recent photographs I've seen.

:a51: :a7:
Together with the rotting wrecks of British fishing boats the EU had destroyed.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Horus wrote:You are welcome Dusak, as is anyone else who asks for some help/advice, If I can help I give it freely and it is up to the recipient to decide if they wish to take it or not. I gain nothing from spending my time writing lengthy explanations, giving useful links or detailed instructions in some cases when problems occur, I do it to help people, so I get annoyed when the only response from some quarters is to throw crap into the thread.

Just had a quick look at the laptop you are having and the spec looks very good, nice big hard drive 1 TB so I doubt you will ever fill that up. The processor is good and should handle anything you want to do with it and you also have your HDMI socket that you were keen on having, so looks good to me mate and good value for money. :up
The only thing is that nowadays they all come with a load of 'bloatware' pre installed and most likely trials of just about everything, but best to forget 'Word' and put something like 'Open Office' on as its free. ;)
This is nigh on identical to the one i purchased for my recent trip over.

More than adequate for what you want to do i would have thought.

If you are tolerant of Windows sh*t oops i mean 10.