'...foreign people stuff.'

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

'...foreign people stuff.'

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A few days ago, discussions took place on the Luxor4U Facebook page following the posting of a news article. It was about the young man who was found tortured in the street, two days after having been arrested by the police.

http://www.independent.co.uk/…/teenager ... eating-dea

During the course of the discussion one Egyptian man stated the following:

'Please keep your self away from such news. and keep your work on tourism or foreign people stuff. Thank you'

I did post the next day, tagging him in, but alas there has been no reply to my comment:

' This has been bugging me since then. Is it really the job of tourists and the expat communities of Luxor to 'work on tourism'? Also, what actually is 'foreign people stuff'? '

So, what are your thoughts? What do you think 'foreign people stuff' is? Are we as foreigners, be it tourist or ex-pat only to be allowed to continue to bang the drum of 'Come to Egypt', 'Egypt is safe', 'They (Egypian tourism) needs your money' or is there something else - other stuff - we should be doing?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: '...foreign people stuff.'

Post by newcastle »

I think he was reflecting a fairly widely held view amongst Egyptians that foreigners should not stick their noses into "domestic" matters.

By "foreign people stuff" I think he meant - I may be wrong - world affairs outside of Egypt....or possibly matters solely related to foreigners here.

In other words....we're happy for you to sing the praises of Egypt but, if you find something unpleasant concerning only Egyptians, we'd rather you didn't mention it , or comment on it.

At least that's an improvement on " If you don't like it here, b*gger off! " :lol:

I can understand the reaction...up to a point. Many Egyptians are well aware of the shortcomings (excuse the euphemism) of the country and it must hurt their pride to have foreigners constantly rubbing their noses in it.

It's not even a response unique to Egypt. Read the social media of the UK and note the reaction when a foreigner (or sometimes a Brit with a foreign-sounding name) dares to criticise some aspect of life in Britain. Remember Gina Miller, a Brit of Guyanan descent, and the reaction to her involvement in the Brexit debate. Would it have been so virulent if she was white and of purely British heritage?
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

As guests in Egypt you need to stay well clear of anything to do with the politics police Military etc, if you want to stay a guest.
There are Foreign Embassies in Cairo leave it to them.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I have thought for a few years now that Egypt is not welcoming to either tourists, ex pats or what ever you want to call them. I don't really think they even need European money anymore, (They now know even how to con the IMF and alike. What they don't know is how to pay it back and will default in the future, or make life so difficult for their own) if they do they do not show any appreciation for it if and when they get it, and they waste and squander it.
If they thought so much about tourism, and by that I cover everyone not born in Egypt, they would either modernise with the money they have received, or at least make things a little easier. Visa's, licensing of anything, home buying, any many other things are just a minefield and not required. Worse of all its blamed on national security! What a load of baloney, all they are doing is making things virtually impossible so that Europeans leave.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:o Well I wasn't expecting that!

Who am I kidding! Ofcourse I was! :roll:

:a86: :a86: :a86: :a86: :a86:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Sometimes reading the posts it feels like Groundhog Day. Over and over and over again.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:I think he was reflecting a fairly widely held view amongst Egyptians that foreigners should not stick their noses into "domestic" matters.

By "foreign people stuff" I think he meant - I may be wrong - world affairs outside of Egypt....or possibly matters solely related to foreigners here.

In other words....we're happy for you to sing the praises of Egypt but, if you find something unpleasant concerning only Egyptians, we'd rather you didn't mention it , or comment on it.

At least that's an improvement on " If you don't like it here, b*gger off! " :lol:

I can understand the reaction...up to a point. Many Egyptians are well aware of the shortcomings (excuse the euphemism) of the country and it must hurt their pride to have foreigners constantly rubbing their noses in it.

It's not even a response unique to Egypt. Read the social media of the UK and note the reaction when a foreigner (or sometimes a Brit with a foreign-sounding name) dares to criticise some aspect of life in Britain. Remember Gina Miller, a Brit of Guyanan descent, and the reaction to her involvement in the Brexit debate. Would it have been so virulent if she was white and of purely British heritage?
Yes it would, personally she could be a piece of space junk orbiting Jupiter for all i care.

Reaction to her meddling has been no more virulent than it has been to Tim Farron who of course is white British.

It was not what she was but what she was doing that i object to.

It is of course, no surprise at all that we had suggestions of racism thrown at us for daring to object to her actions - its par for the course.

In any case, she was not involved publicly in the Brexit debate, like so many others, she only got involved afterwards because she didnt like the result.

But again thats not why i and many others objected to her involvement, obviously it was her ethnicity.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

:zz

Of course the Brits are no different to the Egyptians, or any other society, in resenting what might be considered "interference" by foreigners (or people who look like foreigners) in domestic matters.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Brexit/Miller as an example....but with the Thompson Twins abroad it was too tempting.

And the response....so predictable :a50:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As was someone else's ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
As was someone else's ;)
MT should be relieved that any Egyptian animosity to foreigners doesn't - as yet - extend to confiscating their bank deposits.

Unlike Cyprus....when it got into financial difficulty a little while back :lol:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote::zz

Of course the Brits are no different to the Egyptians, or any other society, in resenting what might be considered "interference" by foreigners (or people who look like foreigners) in domestic matters.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Brexit/Miller as an example....but with the Thompson Twins abroad it was too tempting.

Rather a Thompson Twin than a cut and paste merchant.

Our opinions appear to be just that - you should try it sometime.

One only has to read the Guardian to know what your opinion is.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

As our Egyptology expert we met on our very first holiday here advised us. If any Egyptian should ask you a question on your views on anyone in position or uniform, change the subject straight away. Advice I still hold onto to this day. And, if asked such things, as I still do get today, the easiest thing to do to an Egyptian is change the subject. as in example:- ''So MR ----, what do you think of -----------
quick change of topic, ''I never see many kids playing in the Nile now ----.'' Works every time for me. Unlike most Europeans, they seem unable to backtrack on a topic once interrupted. And us FB users know just what the consequences can be of ill timed and little thought out words of wisdom. Better leave such things to those that can not, or no longer wish to visit these lands.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

And so it has always been, even 40 plus years ago it was unwise to make a comment or engage in any political debate with people in the newly emerged states of Africa, those that do not live in a truly democratic country and have the right to free speech and criticism can never understand that other opinions to their own ideology and politics can and do exist.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Horus wrote:And so it has always been, even 40 plus years ago it was unwise to make a comment or engage in any political debate with people in the newly emerged states of Africa, those that do not live in a truly democratic country and have the right to free speech and criticism can never understand that other opinions to their own ideology and politics can and do exist.
Where as here in the UK, you are positively encouraged to stick the boot in on UK PLC and whats more if any of the natives kick up about it they will be dealt with effectively with a xenophobe/racist/intolerant smear.

Job done.

Makes you proud to be British, i am allowed to say that without being called a little Englander arn't i?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

i am allowed to say that without being called a little Englander arn't i?
I very much doubt it :urm:
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Dusak wrote:As our Egyptology expert we met on our very first holiday here advised us. If any Egyptian should ask you a question on your views on anyone in position or uniform, change the subject straight away. Advice I still hold onto to this day.
Could be one of the reasons I'm in the UK now :( :x :td :urm: :roll: :tk