It Should Begger Belief But It Does Not.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

It Should Begger Belief But It Does Not.

Post by Zooropa »

Lat week i was unable to accompany my mother on her weekly physio therapy session at the hospital following her broken hip as i had an appointment of my own that i could not rearrange.

The ambulance or more accurately the "medic" that came to pick her up refused to help her step up into the vehicle stating that "she had a bad back".

The result was that my mother struggled scraping her leg an almost falling out of the vehicle whilst only half way in.

What the hell was this person doing there if she cant fulfill her job?

Yet another example of the concessions that have to be given to people in the public sector.

If that were the private sector then complaints that might actually get somewhere would have been worthwhile, but thats because there would have been a potential contract to lose.

As its the NHS, your meant to shut up and be grateful.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: It Should Begger Belief But It Does Not.

Post by Horus »

An excellent organisation that needs a good root and branch sorting out, when using the service you quickly become aware that there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians. There often seems to be too many demarcation lines that leave grey areas that no one seems to cover, try asking a nurse for something and you will often be told that they will fetch someone else. A good example is the feeding of old or incapacitated patients, food and drink is often left by someone who’s only job is to put it out and collect the empty plates, no one is actually seeing if the patient is able to eat or drink the food, but at some point a nurse will make a note as to how much food the patient has consumed, but does not seem concerned as to why. :ni:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

In the past I have been asked when I state that I'm here until I die
 what will happen to you when you get old. I will most likely be better looked after here than if I was so old and infirm living in the UK. And from what I've been told, its just as bad in Germany. Of course, if I were able to persuade the UK authorities that I was a refugee from Egypt, then I would be placed in the Hilton with full medical supervision. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Zooropa, I am sorry to read that your mother had an unfortunate experience during her latest transport to hospital and hope that the scrape was minor and soon heals.

I've no personal experience of using hospital transport, but is it normal for a 'medic' to be present? I've always assumed that generally for clinic appointments the crew were equivalent to hospital porters. My assumption based on observation when at my local hospital. I appreciate there may be a regional health authority differences, or it may be a case of physical needs of the patient pick ups though.

Recently, one of my more elderly friends broke her ankle very badly in 3 places and had to have surgery. When she was allowed home the hospital arranged transport and it was manned by two women who, although my friend was being sent home with a wheel chair, insisted on wheeling her on their chair into her house, over a high front door step. She was so relieved as she thought she was going to have to manage the step and access the house herself.

I can understand you being cross by your mothers situation, but when you say 'What the hell was this person doing there if she cant fulfill her job?' perhaps she was fulfilling her job to the best of her ability. It could well be the case that if she was not on duty, bad back and all, that the transport would have had to be cancelled or changed.

If you do feel that this situation warrants a complaint, then there are complaint procedures set up within the NHS. I found I need to make a complaint a couple of years back and it was definitely followed through.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Perhaps with hindsight Zooropa may have been better to use the rules in his favour and insisted that a suitable vehicle and helpers were sent to transport his mother to the hospital as clearly the one they sent was unsuitable for an infirm older person who needed assistance. :urm:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Medic was used generically, driver/porter whatever.

She did not require emergency treatment just a hand up.

I couldn't care less about this person's back or whether they had staffing problems.

This is a pre booked service over a period of time, unfortunately its the only time in the week i cant be there to assist.

NHS is a paid for service im not interested in any issues they have with providing that service, thats their problem.

This is what i mean about "concessions". A private company wouldn't get any slack in sloppy, potentially poor care.

If you cant the trust the NHS to come and pick your elderly mother up safely who can you trust?
Last edited by Zooropa on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

I might also add that if you are not fit for work you are potentially invalidating the company insurance the NHS would be using.

This is one of several issues that crop up every week, she needs to use a zimmer, they know this and yet more often than not they send a vehicle which isnt big enough for it.

They need to turn up at the rear of the house in the carpark as my mother cant manage the 40 yard walk out of the front to the roadside - again, more often than not it turns up at the front.

As ive said, its a paid for service, and i wont subscribe to the kids gloves treatment many seem to think they are due.

And yes, perhaps, if she didnt turn out to work perhaps no one could have come but again, this plays into the theme i also mentioned in my op, i suppose we should shut up and be grateful that someone came at all, even if my mother did nearly fall backwards arrse over tit out of the vehicle.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

NHS Update...

Post by Zooropa »

This week's update on the seemingly near impossible logistical task of collecting my mother for her weekly physio therapy session.

Vehicle turned up 2 hrs and 20 mins late, a phone call after it was an hour late resulted in us being told it was "about 10 mins away"

The result being that she was only able to do about 40% of the session.

Vehicle too small to fit her zimmer in.

Turned up at the right entrance though, not that im complaining....
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: NHS Update...

Post by Dusak »

As you know Zooropa, your mum is reliant on a system that is under staffed, under financed, low on resources, low on care. But at least she eventually got there for the after session cup of tea. If it were here, you would be dead and half eaten by the street dogs on your front doorstep before the ambulance turned up.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Dusak wrote:As you know Zooropa, your mum is reliant on a system that is under staffed, under financed, low on resources, low on care. But at least she eventually got there for the after session cup of tea. If it were here, you would be dead and half eaten by the street dogs on your front doorstep before the ambulance turned up.
Sorry Dusak, im not interested in all the excuses and the fact its worse elsewhere i care even less about.

The NHS are always low on resources, i can never remember a time when they said they were not.

Every government ploughs more in and embarks on root and branch changes and no matter what they do the NHS still claim its not enough and the changes are wrong even though quite often a lot of the changes are what they were calling for.

As ive said previous, its a paid for service, like the license fee we have no choice but to pay, if i could stop paying and go private i would but id still have to pay for a service i wasnt using so i wont.

Tell me, is your attitude to a poor paid for service always the same?

For example, if you are in a restaurant and the food served up is guff do you complain and demand remedial action or do you sigh and say well at least the cook turned up otherwise id be sitting here with no food twiddling my thumbs?

As we can see from your previous posts your reaction, i would suggest, as would most people's (and quite right too) would be the former reaction.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I know it's a paid for service but since you are there with your Mum couldn't you take her yourself to the hospital? I would rather spend extra to make sure my Mum was comfortable.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

carrie wrote:I know it's a paid for service but since you are there with your Mum couldn't you take her yourself to the hospital? I would rather spend extra to make sure my Mum was comfortable.

Carrie, i assume you did not read the original post on this topic.

I cant take her, its the one time in the week when im not available to do so - do you think id put her through that if i didnt have to?

Given that ive given up my career, house and any reasonable chance of any relationship or regular free time i think id stretch to taking her to the hospital if i could.

I would ask you the same question Carrie that i did of Dusak, if, you were in a restaurant with your mother would you cook the meal yourself to make sure it was ok for your mum to eat given that older people tend to have less resistance to bad food and the last time you came the food was dodgy?

You would probably say that would not arise as you would not go back there again and there in is the problem, you cant do that with the NHS.

Maybe its not your intent but it seems, yet again that the theme here is that i should either shut up complaining or do something that no one would ever do if it was some other sort of paid for service.

Which is anything but complain.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I did read your original post Zooropa but from your latest I presumed that you were there when the ambulance eventually turned up. As you must be aware I personally haven't had any dealings with the NHS for some time but my son in law was very ill a couple of years ago and both him and my daughter told me that they couldn't have received better treatment from both their local GP and the hospital. Granted this was an emergency situation.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Im pleased they received good treatment Carrie and lots of people will eat at restaurants and have great meals.

Its not just the NHS, the way old people are treated in the UK is shocking.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I agree Zooropa, that's one thing about living here you are not made to feel old.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Moderator Note:
I have merged the NHS Update thread with It Should Begger Belief But It Does Not Because there is reference in the (later) NHS thread to '...the original post on this topic' and that actual post is what heads this thread, it makes sense to keep them together.

HEPZIBAH
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

My former wife was an habitual complainer, about all and everything in life, and listening to the constant whines is both annoying and tiresome in life, and at times, quite embarrassing when in company. I have always been of a more placid temperament. I am a sigher by nature, because at the end of the day complaints get you nowhere in my book and past experiences. There is always a weak hearted excuse, someone else to blame, lack of this, that or the other. Why beat myself up knowing nothing will change. And people will say, but if you do not complain, things will only get worse, voice's in numbers make changes happen. Yeah, right.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Oh dear Dusak, weve danced down this street before.

Straight out of the Neville Chamberlain book of appeasement.

People do not realise (or care) that it is they that hold the real power.

Just ask the French, when their institutions take the p*i*s they, en masse rise up and said institution backs down.

Apathy is the ally of the wicked.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

With apologies to Zooropa from the "copy & paste merchant" ;)

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference."

[American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr (1892–1971)]
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:With apologies to Zooropa from the "copy & paste merchant" ;)

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference."

[American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr (1892–1971)]

It can be changed, perhaps not by the weak and feeble minded of which Dusak is not of course.

Good to see your keyboard with the reinforced "ctr" & "p" keys has arrived.

Regards the "Self Proclaimed Procurement Expert"