New restaurant offers most expensive burger in Egypt.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

New restaurant offers most expensive burger in Egypt.

Post by DJKeefy »

A new restaurant, located in the Cairo suburb of Masr al Gedida, announced they will be offering the most expensive burger in Egypt, priced at 1495 EGP; made with the rare Wagyu beef. The price stirred massive controversy among Egyptian social media users, on the sandwich’s ingredients.

Wagyu is a Japanese cow that generates a meat known for its quality, and comes at high prices. The cows are raised in a specific environment that includes listening to music and receiving massages.

According the Facebook page of the restaurant ‘Food Gun’, the sandwich size is ordinary and not as large as some on social media expected, while the components inside are very expensive and are imported.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: New restaurant offers most expensive burger in Egypt.

Post by Bombay »

Wow thats expensive! Especially when you can get a frozen supermarket burger for next to nothing in some culture clubs in Luxor!

I can get Australian "Angus" steaks and burgers but they would work out at around 500le in the restaurant which is about European price so not to bad.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Bombay wrote:Wow thats expensive! Especially when you can get a frozen supermarket burger for next to nothing in some culture clubs in Luxor!

I can get Australian "Angus" steaks and burgers but they would work out at around 500le in the restaurant which is about European price so not to bad.
I will buy, at trade price. four of the :eat Angus steaks. But they had better be worth eating, or there will be trouble at mill. :pp:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Are you sure it is beef you are purchasing in Luxor? I remember buying minced beef to make a Large meat and vegetable pie, when I unwrapoed the meat I have never seen beef that colour in my life. Deep Prada Red!!. Needless to say it got put where a lot of the fresh meat we purchased got put, straight in the bin. It may be that someone in Egypt has got the idea of changing display lamps to the Colour 32 type, the type that makes meat look good, or for vegetarians the Dulux type lamp, that makes vegetables look green when its painted on them. Might even be rotrot lanps the type that turns bananas black in 24 hours or make bread look attractive by adding little blue specks before you get it home. :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

That's what you get for buying cheap food MT. Perhaps you would have been better investing in a mincer rather that chocky biscuits.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

So Bombay would a hamburger pattie be 150g or less, so would this mean Wagyu retails for about E10,000 per k. That is a a bit over $US550 a kilo which is many times its retail purchase price from a butcher in Australia. The idea of eating premium beef in a minced form is an attraction that is lost on me.

Premium beef to my mind is best eaten in steak or roast form but maybe if you have more money than sense the purpose of an expensive hamburger is to show how rich or stupid you are?

Your quotes of Australian Angus prices seem many times retail purchase price in this country but I wasn't aware that we did much more for meat exports in the middle east than the live export trade of lamb/mutton and some low quality beef with the locals doing the killing and butchering. The bulk of this trade is in low quality/aged (not in a positive sense) meat whereas our large scale high quality premium meat exports go to China, Japan, Korea and the US. Low quality beef exports also go to poorer Asian countries but these are often live exports.

Still the prices seem very high.

Maybe the high prices you mention reflect that its a small scale air-based supply market and the high distribution costs of small scale distribution in the Egypt market?

Is there large scale domestic farming production of premium beef types in Egypt using breeds for hot dry climates and immunity to the diseases that go with this?
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

The high prices reflect the 60% import duty thats now added along with 14% VAT.

I am very fussy about meat minced but I would not go to that extent the minced local fillet or sirloin I use is fine for me.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

One can buy a wagyo beef burger topped with gold leaf at Le Garage in El Gouna for a lot less.
And many many more variations..... 8)
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... Sinai.html
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I will just have to settle for a delicious 55 LE "Pizza Burger", Poolside at the Jollie Ville... :eat
If I ever get to Egypt again in this particular mortal coil...... :ct